P1000 1000-5 Will not go back in Turf Mode ?

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went on about a 6hr ride Saturday at the local off road park and noticed when loading on the trailer that it will not go in turf mode I thought no big deal I will fool with it at home. Sunday morning I got it in the yard and started going thru all the gears and different modes of the transmission everything seems to work like always except it stays in 2WD will not go in turf any ideas on what it may be ? I was not in anything rough never even had to put it in 4WD all day and no mud at all just rode around watching some rock bouncers play on stuff

Reactions: Lady01
K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I pulled the cover yesterday to look at the cables but didn't know exactly where they needed to be and I didn't have time to research it I will take it back apart and adjust according to the video Thanks a lot

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I pulled the cover yesterday to look at the cables but didn't know exactly where they needed to be and I didn't have time to research it I will take it back apart and adjust according to the video Thanks a lot
Mine did the same thing and it only had 50 miles on it. I took the cover off and the cable in the middle had a ton of slack. So I just tightened the middle nut enough to remove the slack and it has been fine ever since.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the same thing and it only had 50 miles on it. I took the cover off and the cable in the middle had a ton of slack. So I just tightened the middle nut enough to remove the slack and it has been fine ever since.
I had to do mine with 50 miles on it. I recommend when you do it, don't put all the covers back on until you have test driven it and its working the way you want. It will save you a lot of time cause they(the cables) can be a bit finicky.

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to do mine with 50 miles on it. I recommend when you do it, don't put all the covers back on until you have test driven it and its working the way you want. It will save you a lot of time cause they(the cables) can be a bit finicky.
Thanks will do

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You may need to adjust the rear cables behind the drive seat under the floor boards. It is easy and only takes a few min.

Ok the cable adjustment had no effect on the problem and during the adjustment process I noticed that I have no dash indicator lights telling you what position it is in (turf,2wd,4wd,4lock) what I do not understand is with the left rear jacked up it will free wheel in turf and 2wd never could get it to lock in 2wd after 5-6 tries I let it down on concrete floor and cranked it up and put it in turf and gassed it hard and got 2 black marks on floor as I expected it seems to be locked in 2wd . I cant understand why it is not locked when you jack up the left rear off the floor it will free wheel in 2wd ? Is part of this problem something electrical too since I have no mode indicator lights coming on ? And I have been thinking back to Saturday and I do not remember seeing any indicator light on either it just didn't hit me till last night anyone have any idea or do I need to go ahead and get it to dealer

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok the cable adjustment had no effect on the problem and during the adjustment process I noticed that I have no dash indicator lights telling you what position it is in (turf,2wd,4wd,4lock) what I do not understand is with the left rear jacked up it will free wheel in turf and 2wd never could get it to lock in 2wd after 5-6 tries I let it down on concrete floor and cranked it up and put it in turf and gassed it hard and got 2 black marks on floor as I expected it seems to be locked in 2wd . I cant understand why it is not locked when you jack up the left rear off the floor it will free wheel in 2wd ? Is part of this problem something electrical too since I have no mode indicator lights coming on ? And I have been thinking back to Saturday and I do not remember seeing any indicator light on either it just didn't hit me till last night anyone have any idea or do I need to go ahead and get it to dealer
Nothing electrical...That system is entirely mechanical. Only the position sensor and indicator parts are electrical. Both axles have to turn a bit until the pawl lines up to lock the diff so that's why it's freewheeling with only one side up.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when making adjustments:
a) Tension on the cables is actually pulling the diff OUT of lock mode. A loose cable adjustment will leave the diff locked.
b) One of the cables entering the box comes from the 2wd/4wd shifter...it will RELEASE tension when moved to any position besides Turf mode, allowing the rear diff to lock. The other cable comes from the P,R,N,H,L shifter...it will RELEASE tension when moved to Park, allowing the diff to lock when in Park, even when in Turf mode-(safety measure especially on uneven terrain).
I don't think you need to bring it in to a dealer. Look in that box while moving your shifters and you'll see and understand the mechanicals of it. The principle of it is, either one, or both at the same time, of the two shifters can release tension on the same cable coming out of the rear of the box, which allows the diff to lock. If adjusted properly, the only time both cables are under tension, pulling the diff out of lock is in Turf mode AND out of park simultaneously.

Last edited:
K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing electrical...That system is entirely mechanical. Only the position sensor and indicator parts are electrical. Both axles have to turn a bit until the pawl lines up to lock the diff so that's why it's freewheeling with only one side up.
a) Tension on the cables is actually pulling the diff OUT of lock mode. A loose cable adjustment will leave the diff locked.
b) One of the cables entering the box comes from the 2wd/4wd shifter...it will RELEASE tension when moved to any position besides Turf mode, allowing the rear diff to lock. The other cable comes from the P,R,N,H,L shifter...it will RELEASE tension when moved to Park, allowing the diff to lock when in Park, even when in Turf mode-(safety measure especially on uneven terrain).
I don't think you need to bring it in to a dealer. Look in that box while moving your shifters and you'll see and understand the mechanicals of it. The principle of it is, either one, or both at the same time, of the two shifters can release tension on the same cable coming out of the rear of the box, which allows the diff to lock. If adjusted properly, the only time both cables are under tension, pulling the diff out of lock is in Turf mode AND out of park simultaneously.
I have no doubt that you are correct in what you are saying but that kinda throws what is shown in the video on how to adjust with one wheel jacked up out the window doesn't it ?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have no doubt that you are correct in what you are saying but that kinda throws what is shown in the video on how to adjust with one wheel jacked up out the window doesn't it ?
Dunno...I've never used that technique. I just adjusted the cables while shifters were in Park and 2WD. Made sure that when I moved either of the shifters out of Park, or, into Turf mode, that the cable coming out of the back of the box going to the diff pulled immediately with no freeplay. Also made sure that Park/Turf mode and Drive/2WD mode was not pulling on rear cable. Works absolutely perfectly every single time including dash indicators.

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dunno...I've never used that technique. I just adjusted the cables while shifters were in Park and 2WD. Made sure that when I moved either of the shifters out of Park, or, into Turf mode, that the cable coming out of the back of the box going to the diff pulled immediately with no freeplay. Also made sure that Park/Turf mode and Drive/2WD mode was not pulling on rear cable. Works absolutely perfectly every single time including dash indicators.
Ok I will try it again this evening with the wheels on the ground and see what happens . Any idea why I have lost indicator lights for 4wd 4 lock ?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok I will try it again this evening with the wheels on the ground and see what happens . Any idea why I have lost indicator lights for 4wd 4 lock ?
The indicators' sensors are located inside the differentials, not at the shifters. If your cable adjustments are not letting the rear cable all the way back, you won't see diff locked indicator. If they are not pulling the rear cable all the way forward, you won't see diff unlocked indicator.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As far as 4WD/4WD locked, I'm not sure but possibly if the rear diff isn't locking successfully, the front indicators won't light. That is only speculation though.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know that the two diffs are always monitored by the ECM. It won't let your rear tires spin much faster than your fronts. Cuts power.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Guys I got it adjusted last night and all seems to be working even the position indicator lights I still do not know why it was giving me so much trouble Thanks for the help
Glad to hear that! One thing I've learned about these machines is to not be scared of diving in to them. Once you see how the different systems work together, it takes the mystery out of the beast and most issues can be resolved easily with minimal tools or experience.

Jeff_Draper

Jeff_Draper

Stringbean
Lifetime Member
May 24, 2018
Fairview TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4 years later, 0860silverado i’ve been scouring the web to find that simple fact that you knew. Which direction locks it, and which direction unlocks it.
Have you ever thought about starting a YouTube channel?
Knowing this, I loosened the tension almost all the way out, And still, incrementally the diff goes in and out of two wheel lock in the rear. Could it be a stretched cable? Could the connection over the differential be out of alignment? Do you know of any possibilities? Regardless, thanks again for enlightening all of us.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!