P1000 14" of travel possible P1000

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I got a crazy idea that may work. In involves creating a bracket similar the the HL lift kit and extending it upwards about 4". It would involve some cutting under the hood and replacing the crappy headlights & enclosure. Then installing a much longer shock since you will have an additinal 4" to play with. My only issue is that I do not know how to spec out shocks, totally clueless but maybe the talon shocks or some other brands may work.

Also need someone with a CNC machine that could cut that out for me. I'm willing to try it out if someone can spec out a shock

Thanks

Rudy

IMG 20230104 111222618

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There were 3 or 4 guys here who made long travel Pioneers before I joined, maybe someone remembers and can tag them? Maybe Joeymt33(?), ohio4x4(?) and at least one more. #oleguy memory smokin' pretty bad 'bout now. :p

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There were 3 or 4 guys here who made long travel Pioneers before I joined, maybe someone remembers and can tag them? Maybe Joeymt33(?), ohio4x4(?) and at least one more. #oleguy memory smokin' pretty bad 'bout now. :p
No long travel here. Yet lol. I'm definitely interested now that I have the talon to ride while the pioneer is down. I suspect I'll be cutting the factory tabs off anyways. @joeymt33 @ohanacreek @snuffnwhisky are the long travel guys. My crude fab skills can't hold a candle to those guys. They make it look easy.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh, I ended up buying some Polaris razor shocks for the rear and some YXZshocks for the front. The only thing that we were looking for is the correct extended length and compressed length. You can change the springs out to get the correct spring rate and then maybe some shim changing to get the shock valve correctly.

it turned out pretty good, and has proven to be reliable so far. But yes, it is a ton of work and a ton of money.

793ffc7f3462d029cf01f576f47369fd

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We also changed the mounting locations of the shocks, front and rear to get the most travel.

If you attempt to make your own shock mounting locations, then mount your shock with no spring, so that you can move the suspension up and down by hand, and make sure that your axle is not fully extending. On the pioneer, the axle can pull out of the differential when the suspension is compressed.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey guys I got a crazy idea that may work. In involves creating a bracket similar the the HL lift kit and extending it upwards about 4". It would involve some cutting under the hood and replacing the crappy headlights & enclosure. Then installing a much longer shock since you will have an additinal 4" to play with. My only issue is that I do not know how to spec out shocks, totally clueless but maybe the talon shocks or some other brands may work.

Also need someone with a CNC machine that could cut that out for me. I'm willing to try it out if someone can spec out a shock

Thanks

Rudy

View attachment 368754
Why would you want to extend the bracket lift that already makes it ride and handle like crap cuz of the suspension geometry change? To go through all that trouble, might just as well fab the proper arms like Snuff did for Joey so it rides right unless your doing it just for looks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!