BOX1

P500 15 p500 will not start

H

Hazen91

Apr 3, 2022
Clovis nm
Ownership

1. 500
Hi I bought a non running pioneer 500 from a auction. When I got it home I went over itand changed the gas and spark plug. it has fuel spraying out of the injector and spark according to an inline spark tester. When I’m turning it over it sounds like it’s so close to starting but didn’t. Every now and then it will almost backfire but that’s it. I’m at a loss any help would be appreciated thanks

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi I bought a non running pioneer 500 from a auction. When I got it home I went over itand changed the gas and spark plug. it has fuel spraying out of the injector and spark according to an inline spark tester. When I’m turning it over it sounds like it’s so close to starting but didn’t. Every now and then it will almost backfire but that’s it. I’m at a loss any help would be appreciated thanks
You might be still pulling some nasty gas that was in the fuel system. How is the air filter? Was it swamped? spark arrester clean? Easy stuff to check off the list.

What year, milage?

BTW Welcome from Michigan. We like pics For proof. Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
At this point remove the spark plug and see if there is fuel on it. Do a compression test. Someone here will know what it should be. I would be looking for a minimum 100 psi.

Good luck.
Need to post photos.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Ok just did a compression test and it’s at 55psi. How tuff is a top end rebuild on these? Any tricks? Can it be done in the bike?
No tricks, the Honda Service manual is available on the site for contributing members, probably cheaper than buying a manual from Honda or Ebay.
Keep in mind, these things have an automatic decompression gadget on the cam, a compression test can be misleading. Have you tried spraying some carb clean down the throttle body and see if it will start?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Before doing a top end job I would check the valve adjustment. At 326 miles I wouldn't expect a problem but who knows! If you don't want to check the valve adjustment you could first squirt some oil in the spark plug hole and redo the compression test, if the compression does not increase then a value adjustment would be the next step, then the compression rechecked.

H

Hazen91

Apr 3, 2022
Clovis nm
Ownership

1. 500
No tricks, the Honda Service manual is available on the site for contributing members, probably cheaper than buying a manual from Honda or Ebay.
Keep in mind, these things have an automatic decompression gadget on the cam, a compression test can be misleading. Have you tried spraying some carb clean down the throttle body and see if it will start?
I have heard about the automatic decompression thing but I couldn’t find a whole lot of info on it. I have sprayed some carb clean and it didn’t start

H

Hazen91

Apr 3, 2022
Clovis nm
Ownership

1. 500
Before doing a top end job I would check the valve adjustment. At 326 miles I wouldn't expect a problem but who knows! If you don't want to check the valve adjustment you could first squirt some oil in the spark plug hole and redo the compression test, if the compression does not increase then a value adjustment would be the next step, then the compression rechecked.
I didn’t think about the oil in the cylinder that’s a good idea.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have heard about the automatic decompression thing but I couldn’t find a whole lot of info on it. I have sprayed some carb clean and it didn’t start

Pic from the service manual, at slow, cranking rpm it holds the exhaust valve open a little longer so the starter can spin the engine, once the engine fires centrifugal force overcomes the decompression lobe so it doesn't contact the valve. This is why a compression test will always show low. At the mileage you stated I would look elsewhere, I doubt it needs a top end.

Cam

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Many years ago my step dad had a Foreman that wouldn't start, backfire occasionally. It ended up being the voltage regulator, it was shorted internally and not creating good spark. Easy to check, unplug the voltage regulator and see if it will start. Make sure you have a good, charged battery.

FJC 79

FJC 79

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
welcome from Ohio

K

Kwb

Nov 14, 2021
Edmonton
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi bought 2017 non runner would start some times but if gave starting fluid it would start traced problem to ground bolt on engine block wires felt tight but used wrench and bolt was stripped put longer one in darts great now

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!