P1000 '16 Pioneer 1000 rough idle/stall/idles up and down

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had the owners manual sitting on my desk so took a quick look. It says fuel needs to be 86 or higher in the book so you should be fine.
Agreed. I run 89 octane in mine and with 7,500 miles, I have no problems. Two other areas: The '16 models (including mine) had a common problem with fuel injector plug wires breaking right at the crimp. There is a kit sold on this site that allows you to buy and replace just the pigtail. (Honda wants you to change the ENTIRE wiring harness, costing IIRC about $600.00 and requiring lots of disassembly.) Another possibility is that one of your plugs' porcelain insulation is fractured, allowing it to short. I'd replace both plugs even if they look ok. Just be sure to use a torque wrench according to spec on those aluminum heads! (Not as tight as you might feel like they should be.) Keep us posted!

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The saga has ended! The new battery got it most of the way there and new plugs brought it over the finish line. It once again runs like it was new, and not like the 45 accumulated miles clunker it has become. I have to say, Honda is consistent, though. I could get to the rear plug, sorta kinda, with my ham-sized hands, but the front plug was no bueno. I got the plug wire out, but could NOT get a 14mm deep socket into the hole in the valve cover, no matter how I tried. Finally dropped the airbox or whatever it is behind the seat, and removed the seat back, pried forward the rubber guard and then, using every extension I had, I got the plug unscrewed and removed it - with a magnet. And thanks for the tip, guys, re: torquing the plugs. No doubt I would have overtightened them. Had to get the plugs from Amazon. Dealer had none, parts guy was going to call me - that was two days ago. Now I just have to remember to plug this little snowflake in every time I get out of it, lest a teensy voltage drop upsets it again. If I only knew then what I know now! :) At least it's over 90 out right now, ane near 100 in my toy shed, so I got a free sauna out of it! Yay, me! Thanks again, everyone. Once again, it's hondasxs.com usewrs (and not Honda) to the rescue. Much obliged!

H

HondaTech

Late to the party, but you can get both plugs out and replaced without removing anything but the airbox cover.

3 inch extension, swivel joint, socket, and a magnet to get them all out one after another, but id rather just pull the seat back and the plastic middle panel.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!