1st, 3rd and 5th gears

C

clydeb08

May 3, 2020
Lake butler, fl
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Trying to make sure I need to replace my clutch. I was out riding and was trying to pull someone out and I ended up stuck. Once I got out, it took me revving the rpm a lot higher then normal for it to go. Once I get going it will shift perfectly fine into 2nd and fourth. The SXS idles, cranks fine. Only 1st,3rd, 5th and reverse is having issues. Any input is helpful, thanks.

Reactions: Russ989 and Isaiah
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trying to make sure I need to replace my clutch. I was out riding and was trying to pull someone out and I ended up stuck. Once I got out, it took me revving the rpm a lot higher then normal for it to go. Once I get going it will shift perfectly fine into 2nd and fourth. The SXS idles, cranks fine. Only 1st,3rd, 5th and reverse is having issues. Any input is helpful, thanks.
@CumminsPusher

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
It would sound like you toasted the clutch try a relearn and see if it helps, of all the things I broke the clutches are still going I was riding with a friend at Mulberry when his clutch was going out and he would do a relearn and it would behave for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: clydeb08
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Sounds like the starter clutch in the DCT got smoked. It controls 1, 3, 5, R gears. Have you had the clutch product update campaign done? If not it expires this September 2020.

I've toasted a couple few years ago, since the update its 500% better.

Information on the product update campaign I am speaking of.

Last edited:
C

clydeb08

May 3, 2020
Lake butler, fl
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like the starter clutch in the DCT got smoked. It controls 1, 3, 5, R gears. Have you had the clutch product update campaign done? If not it expires this September 2020.

I've toasted a couple few years ago, since the update its 500% better.

Information on the product update campaign I am speaking of.

Thanks for the info, no I haven’t done that yet. Would they still replace it even though I have lifted the SXS and added bigger tires?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Thanks for the info, no I haven’t done that yet. Would they still replace it even though I have lifted the SXS and added bigger tires?

It should not be a problem as it is a update campaign and not a warranty issue

C

clydeb08

May 3, 2020
Lake butler, fl
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Okay I’ll give them a call, and will the campaign is it replacing the clutch with a new one correct?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Okay I’ll give them a call, and will the campaign is it replacing the clutch with a new one correct?
Actually they will replace the clutch pack since it is slipping. But the product update campaign actually replaces a cover which dumps much more oil on the clutch to keep it from burning up. The improvement in durability exceeds 500% over its current setup.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
C

clydeb08

May 3, 2020
Lake butler, fl
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Actually they will replace the clutch pack since it is slipping. But the product update campaign actually replaces a cover which dumps much more oil on the clutch to keep it from burning up. The improvement in durability exceeds 500% over its current setup.
So just got a call back from the dealership. They replaced the park with the campaign part. He stated “it’s improved the issue but isn’t 100% right, your oil is a little dirty also”. With all the research I have done and all the info y’all have given me, are they trying to jerk me around? And should I just go pick it up myself and change all the fluids?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So just got a call back from the dealership. They replaced the park with the campaign part. He stated “it’s improved the issue but isn’t 100% right, your oil is a little dirty also”. With all the research I have done and all the info y’all have given me, are they trying to jerk me around? And should I just go pick it up myself and change all the fluids?
That depends, Honda only allows 2qt oil for the update so it's on you for a full oil change and filters. Its likely dirty from clutch material off the starter clutch pack. Which brings us to the important issue.

In the update campaign the dealership is supposed to determine if the clutch is slipping and or burnt and if so call Honda who has an additional part kit, the clutch pack itself which they should have replaced that is only approved on a case by case basis along with the two update campaign parts kits.

If your clutch was slipping and all they did was replace the cover the mechanic failed to perform his due diligence on the repair.

@HondaTech I correct on the above?

That how I read it.

C

clydeb08

May 3, 2020
Lake butler, fl
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I called them, they said all the service bulletin called for was the clutch cover, not the clutch kit. Any recommendations for the best place to buy a new clutch from?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Depending on year, mileage and Honda's option of replacing clutch parts 'if they feel like it', I think I'd offer to pay for clutch replacement myself before disassembly, as preventative maintenance. They have it apart at their expense so that cost would be avoided. The unknown is 'what would that cost me'? Just thinking out loud … 🤔

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I called them, they said all the service bulletin called for was the clutch cover, not the clutch kit. Any recommendations for the best place to buy a new clutch from?
They might just be lazy. Take it to another dealer, it shouldn’t cost you anything.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
A clutch pack is about $247 and worth paying for if Honda refuses to pick up the tab. Your VIN has been run through as having the update completed, so the only recourse is either call Honda customer support explain the situation and hope maybe they will cover it or pay for it yourself.

That said being as you run the big tires and lift, you should probably just pay for it and be done with it, my humble opinion.

H

HondaTech

That depends, Honda only allows 2qt oil for the update so it's on you for a full oil change and filters. Its likely dirty from clutch material off the starter clutch pack. Which brings us to the important issue.

In the update campaign the dealership is supposed to determine if the clutch is slipping and or burnt and if so call Honda who has an additional part kit, the clutch pack itself which they should have replaced that is only approved on a case by case basis along with the two update campaign parts kits.

If your clutch was slipping and all they did was replace the cover the mechanic failed to perform his due diligence on the repair.

@HondaTech I correct on the above?

That how I read it.

Yes the first step in the "Improvement Procedure" on an "In Service Unit" is to check for a slipping clutch.

Slipping

Then you can proceed from there to either contact our technical support group "Techline" or install the updated parts.

If OP brought his unit to the dealership for a potential clutch slipping issue, that should've been addressed before installing the updated parts. I'm not sure how Honda is handling out of warranty clutch replacements now, but we've had them replace the clutch pack and related parts in the past without issue if the unit hasn't had the clutch update performed.

Sounds like the dealer is just going through the motions and doesn't want to mess with clutch issues, or doesn't have the knowledge of what to look for and how to diagnose the issue.

Also with the update, all your getting is the new cover, bearing, clutch guide, some miscellaneous parts and 2 qts of oil. If they do replace the clutch under warranty, you should get what equates to a full oil change with a new outer clutch assembly, gaskets and o-rings.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!