BRed 2011 MUV700 - Won’t stay running

F

fmjnax

Jan 9, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
The saga continues! Fired up the machine yesterday to run to the mailbox after putting in gas. Made it maybe 50 yards and the machine shut down. Wouldn’t fire back up, but will crank for days. No dash lights.

Towed it back to the shop and started diagnosing. Pouring fuel directly in the cylinder made it fire. So asked my wife about the gas and found out she had filled the wrong jug. The jug she filled had old/bad gas still in it, and probably some water. I drained the tank and put in a gallon of good/fresh gas. Machine fired right up.

After letting it idle for a minute, I pulled out of the shop… just for the machine to die again. This time it acts like it wants to fire, but won’t. If I prime via the key 3 or 4 times, it will fire and idle for a moment and then die. If I give it throttle, it dies. Still no lights on the dash.

Seems like it’s still an issue with the fuel somewhere. When I drained the tank, I did it via the fuel pump, line disconnected at the injector. Fuel pump seemed to be working fine. It was priming and stopping with key on and continually pumping strong with the key turned. I didn’t measure/time the draining, but it definitely seemed to output at least 3oz/10sec, as per the manual.

I am currently thinking the injector might be partially clogged/gummed or on its way out. I’m going to dig in to that next. Might also go ahead and pull the tank and clean it up since I know it had bad gas in it. Any other thoughts?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
u do have spark when this happens?

is gas tank vent open/not blocked?

is plug dry when u pull it?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!