BOX1

2012 Big Red Wont Start-all of a sudden

M

Manatee

Nov 25, 2014
Brought my big red to camp drove it 3-4 miles then parked it. Came back a couple hours later to move and it would not start, seems like good power from the battery and the starter is turning but no ignition. Lights on dash are on when trying to start as well but I think this is normal. Is there a fuel filter that could get clogged up or other simple solution?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Re: 2011 Big Red Wont Start-all of a sudden

Welcome to the community.

Does it have spark?
Do you here the pump prime?

There is a fuel filter inside the fuel pump. On the Rincon's, there was one year it gave trouble.

Reactions: Smitty335
M

Manatee

Nov 25, 2014

So I should hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the on position. Just want to make sure I am looking for the correct noise. If I do not hear the fuel pump prime could this be a fuse or just the fuel pump is bad. I did get a new spark plug and was going to change. What is best way to check for spark? Also do you know the gap for 2011 big red? I will be working on it Friday so want to have as much info as possible.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2011 Big Red Wont Start-all of a sudden

Turn the key, but not crank. you should hear the fuel pump prime each time for like a second.
It kinda sounds like this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiYapUT_8Js
If not, could be a fuse.

Test spark, Remove the plug and rest it against the engine. Have someone turn the key while you watch for a spark.
Here is how -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpjkiBDSXe8

M

Manatee

Nov 25, 2014

I was getting the fuel pump prime so I pulled the sparkplug and was getting no spark so I brought it in and guy says there may be a recall on the stator for that model. I will let you know how this ends.
Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ya, that could be it. It controls the charging system and the spark timing.
Let us know what they say.
Thanks.

M

Manatee

Nov 25, 2014

The final verdict is the stator coil is bad, the dealer said that this model stator coil was not a recall item but they will pay for the part and the mandatory oil change and I pay for the labor which will be $475. The part would have been another $450. Seems like this has been a problem, this is a lightly used 2012 not 11, I had that wrong.

T

timthetrailman

Apr 3, 2015
got a 2012 Big Red with 480 HRS on it; put a new neutral switch in, new plug, new battery and now a new coil. Got power from the motor to the coil but no spark in the plug. Going to try re-attaching the plug cap, what else?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the part is 240 from Honda and takes about 2 hours to replace if you stop and have Lunch while your replacing it. FIND A NEW DEALER.

H

HondaTech

If we get a Big Red in with a cranks but won't start 9/10 its a pulse generator. Like spifyd said it's not that expensive, I think we usually do around $340 otd on one. If you go through the right hand side, remove the mud flap that covers the battery, you can get to everything easy. No bed removal needed, and it doesn't hurt to call Honda. Sometimes they might cover the part or labor, usually the part, because they can get it @ cost.
The reason the dealer wants so much is their "covering" the cost of the part. They ain't "covering" crap, dealers like this make people hate dealers in general. If you do call Honda, mention the screwing your dealer was trying to pull.

W

Wileyolebuck

Dec 31, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2010 Big Red 700 just did this. Cranked every time then yesterday turn key and it just clicked. Battery is good. What was the verdict on the problem.

W

Wileyolebuck

Dec 31, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just ordered a starter, read a thread on here on how to install. Hopefully this works. 11 years old I would bet this is the problem

W

Wileyolebuck

Dec 31, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
It was the starter. There is no easy way to replace it either. A few busted knuckles and it's replaced. Magnets inside the starter were in 50 pieces.
Just ordered a starter, read a thread on here on how to install. Hopefully this works. 11 years old I would bet this is the problem

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
A

Allen71

Jul 10, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Big Red
I have a 2010 big red 700 I Serviced it last week the crank and ran fine if you hours then after shutting it off they will not crank I have a spark fuel pump primes and fuses are good I’m out of Guesses any one have some advice

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!