BRed 2012 MUV700 won't shift into gear

M

Medievalon

Apr 9, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
I ran into the clogged oil pickup screen issue and decided to tackle it myself. I tore down the motor, replaced the screen and put it all back together. The engine ran great but it wouldn't move out of neutral. I have now taken the rear crankcase apart three times and can't resolve the problem.
Everything is in place and moves from neutral to drive to reverse, exactly as it should when you manually move the shift arm with the cover off. As soon as I put the cover on, the shifter won't turn. I'm at a loss as to what's binding. Has anyone worked on these enough to share any tips?
TIA,
Jason

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You have the manual? I can find it for you if not.

Research the same issue with the Rincon and Pioneer 700, looking for similar issues.
Is the same motor and shift dogs inside for the most part.
It has to be something you overlooked, a spacer or something like that.

Unfourchently, I haven't seen any talk of this here for the Pioneer 700.
so sorry. I'm no help.

Reactions: Buggyman
M

Medievalon

Apr 9, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
I do have the manual. I'm going to run through the subtransmission diagram again this weekend to make sure every washer, spacer, etc is there.
Thanks for the Pioneer tip. I knew they were close, but I'll add that to my research. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing!

M

Medievalon

Apr 9, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
Just to follow up on this. I'm guessing the aftermarket gasket was thinner than the original one, causing the washer on the inside of the crankcase cover to wedge between the cover and the spindle when tightened down. I just removed the washer and we're in business.

Reactions: Buggyman
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just to follow up on this. I'm guessing the aftermarket gasket was thinner than the original one, causing the washer on the inside of the crankcase cover to wedge between the cover and the spindle when tightened down. I just removed the washer and we're in business.
Glad it's fixed and thanks for the follow up.