P1000 2016 1000-5 wont start

B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Son had SXS stuck I guess, says he goosed the engine to get out of sandy/muddy area and he said it just shut off. It will not crank at all. I only had a few mins to look it over and this is what I have noticed so far.
1) no oil on the trailer
2) I have 12 volts to the starter solenoid, even 12 when I turn the key over, but all it does is click.
3) Gear shifter feels loose in the park position now and it never was before that I recall. Had to giggle it for the screen to show P.
4) I swapped around all the relays up front and checked all the fuses and nothing has changed. checked the wiring at the ECM.
5) checked the spark plugs to make sure they were dry and the oil is at the right level.
I do have a maint manual so I will start the troubleshooting process, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and they could point me in a quicker direction. I believe it to have lil over 900 miles on it.

Reactions: Smitty335
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to the club and congrats on your 1st post! To me it sounds like you're onto something with that shifter. Neutral safety switch not being activated? Was he ramrodding the shifter back and forth to get unstuck?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome, wed like to help but we need some pics of this machine to carry on. You see its kinda of an unspoken bible vrs here called…
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that you should run down potential problems related to the shifter first. Are you pressing the brake pedal while turning the key? If the machine thinks it's in gear, it won't crank without your foot on the brake.

What does your click sound like? Is it as loud as a starter solenoid would be?

Keep us posted...

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please check your battery voltage both before turning the key (should be roughly 12.6 or a bit more for fully charged battery) and while the key is turned to the start position.

B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for the late response, but I thought I posted the problem in here.
Eng1

This was in the buggy, which lead to the next picture.
Eng2

Which lead to this
Eng4

pretty costly repair. Son swears we wasn't hot rodding. It is coming out of his pocket, so he is sticking to his story.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wonder if that was from full throttle first to reverse while being stuck........

Reactions: Remington
B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wonder if that was from full throttle first to reverse while being stuck........
According to him, he was in about 6 inches of really thick mud and he was in automatic high gear and was trying to get out of it and he heard the gears shifting and this didn't send an alarm to his brain to stop and put it into low 4X4. Big expensive lesson.

I think he was trying to sling mud on his buddy that was behind him and just kept spinning the tires until the motor blew.

• Wow
B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He'll be afraid to drive it now.
Yes Sir, he has already said this and is contemplating buying his own 520. This mistake is costing him $7500. That is a lot for a college kid with a part time job as an intern for a CPA firm. I have to teach him the lesson that NOTHING is life is free and you should value what you have and not rag on it.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes Sir, he has already said this and is contemplating buying his own 520. This mistake is costing him $7500. That is a lot for a college kid with a part time job as an intern for a CPA firm. I have to teach him the lesson that NOTHING is life is free and you should value what you have and not rag on it.
Good lesson. I'd do the same thing to my son

Reactions: trigger
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for coming back and letting us know what happened. I'd say we were a bit off with our original assessments. :D Although, we did have limited information, as did you...

Anyway, out of curiosity, what's the cost breakdown on your $7,500 repair?

Reactions: WagginTail
B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for coming back and letting us know what happened. I'd say we were a bit off with our original assessments. :D Although, we did have limited information, as did you...

Anyway, out of curiosity, what's the cost breakdown on your $7,500 repair?
Parts were $6000 and this guy is charging us $1500 for the labor. Almost went with NFlow rebuilt, but the time associated with getting everything and running it back and forth to the guy doing the work along with not getting much back on the core, our guy decided it would be just as good as a plug and play motor for him to rebuild this one. Local dealer wanted $9100. And couldn’t give a time frame for completion. And the core charge on top of that.

• Wow

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!