2016 Honda pioneer 1000-5. Won’t go into gear

Bradmc87

Bradmc87

Jan 5, 2016
Conehatta, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I’ve been having problems with my 1000-5 going into gear. Using the gear selector has been getting worse. I got stuck in the woods it wouldn’t shift into any gears using the gear selector handle, the cable is super tight and I had to manually knock it into gear by the transmission to get into gear? Any help would be appreciated. This pic attached is where I have to shift it. Super hard to go into gear

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
need more info, and of course I learned pictures of the machine.....

how many miles?

how much maintenance has been done to cables, cable adjustment over time?

how much mud and water does the machine see?

you been inside cable adjustment box lately?

did you inspect linkage\cable end to end for damage/kinks, has the shift mechanism been apart at some point?

my first guess would be pb blaster/wd-40 will be your best friend

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Probably NOT the junction box (fluxcpaciter).
Need to figure out if it's the cable or the shift lever.
Unhook both ends of the cable and see if the culprit is obvious.

The shift lever has several pivots that will want re-greased after 6 years.
If the cable is the problem replace it. (It looks like the cable boot is torn in the picture)

Bradmc87

Bradmc87

Jan 5, 2016
Conehatta, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probably NOT the junction box (fluxcpaciter).
Need to figure out if it's the cable or the shift lever.
Unhook both ends of the cable and see if the culprit is obvious.

The shift lever has several pivots that will want re-greased after 6 years.
If the cable is the problem replace it. (It looks like the cable boot is torn in the picture)

Reactions: Buggyman
Bradmc87

Bradmc87

Jan 5, 2016
Conehatta, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After a little bit of digging turns out it’s the shift cable had broken right under the rubber boot in the picture. And yes I had adjusted the cable a few months prior. Hopefully a $34-40 cable will do the trick. I took the cable off and I am ordering another one. I will post pictures tomorrow where the cable was broken for future reference’s

H

HondaTech

After a little bit of digging turns out it’s the shift cable had broken right under the rubber boot in the picture. And yes I had adjusted the cable a few months prior. Hopefully a $34-40 cable will do the trick. I took the cable off and I am ordering another one. I will post pictures tomorrow where the cable was broken for future reference’s

I've seen this a couple of times. The plastic sleeve breaks and allows the cable to flex instead of push.

Bradmc87

Bradmc87

Jan 5, 2016
Conehatta, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My shift cable came in today. Does anyone have any advice before I dive in the cable replacement? I’ve heard it’s a pain in the ass. Also I’m hoping my gear tumbler or shift forks ain’t broke, read that could be an issue

Bradmc87

Bradmc87

Jan 5, 2016
Conehatta, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it on fella’s it was sort of a pain in the ass doing it alone routing the cable and adjusting the gears correctly. I haven’t seen low in a while. That been said, it feels like when I’m applying the brake it isn’t helping with the gears change. Any ideas? Air in the lines?

BTW 2016 Honda pioneer 1000-5 deluxe. 8400 miles

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!