2017 P1000-3 Towing Recommendations

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So just a few months ago, I burned up a clutch. Long story but dealer didn't inform me about upgrade. I did it myself. All is well mechanically. I use this unit on a farm. I would like some info as to how to tow with this thing. I know it does 2000 lbs. Should I be in low all the time? Trailer is about 8ft long and pretty light. I use this to cut trees and run them to a burn pile so its not like I'm hauling big round hay bales. Don't want to have to do another clutch if I can help it. My owners manual is still packed up and I cant seem to find info online. In the summer months, I tow an pull behind mower slowly, but its light. Anybody have a link they can help me with?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So just a few months ago, I burned up a clutch. Long story but dealer didn't inform me about upgrade. I did it myself. All is well mechanically. I use this unit on a farm. I would like some info as to how to tow with this thing. I know it does 2000 lbs. Should I be in low all the time? Trailer is about 8ft long and pretty light. I use this to cut trees and run them to a burn pile so its not like I'm hauling big round hay bales. Don't want to have to do another clutch if I can help it. My owners manual is still packed up and I cant seem to find info online. In the summer months, I tow an pull behind mower slowly, but its light. Anybody have a link they can help me with?
If towing, then yes I would run it on LOW and MANUAL. Helps keep the rpm's where you want them

My 2 cents......

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The key to avoiding rapid clutch wear is avoiding stalling the machine against a load.

What I mean is apply sufficient throttle to start the load moving quickly or don't apply at all.

When you apply power the engine revs and the #1 clutch should quickly engage and start the machine rolling. If the driver apples throttle causing the engine to rev but the machine and load do not begin moving the clutch is slipping and causing wear.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
^^^
What this guy said. Dont dance around with it. Get the throttle open and above 3k if the machine sticks and either wont spin or move try again. I use my pk1-3 for a log skidder this time of year and it works well for me. Some of the logs are easily 2k lbs or more and dont have tires lol. As for tailers i have an 18 ft tandem, 5x10 single axel, and the back half of an s10 that i use for a scrap/firewood trailer. 5k miles on my pioneer and not one issue. Not even a clutch relearn that im aware of.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If a P500 owner can chime in, I tow a 14 ft trailer with a 275 water tote/pump on my flat property (2800 lbs). Manually shift gears 1-2 at least mid RPMs/4wd and have the tongue weight load balanced for minimal down force as I can lift it with a small grunt. Have the 2 inch Moose receiver hitch that bolts to the frame. No issues. 3054C41A B3C5 426E BD4C A431CBACECD6

Last edited:
M

MVH

Aug 29, 2018
MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer told me not to tow or pull in reverse?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A P500 is not the same machine as a P1000. The P1000 machines use a DCT so towing and operating practices are different.

Last edited:
M

MVH

Aug 29, 2018
MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was the service manager when I went in for a clutch replacement.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
"Dealer?" Do you mean a salesperson told you that?

If that advice is not written in the owner's manual I would not give it a lot of credibility.
Anyone who works at the dealership can be referred to as "(the) dealer". That could mean a salesperson, a manager, a porter, a mechanic, a service adviser, etc.

Of course, that doesn't mean that person from "(the) dealer" is qualified to provide information on something in particular (I wouldn't take advice on servicing my bike from the dealership's accountant), but they are still "(the) dealer". :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tend to agree with what the dealer told you.If iam pulling heavy i try to only go foward in low range.And backing up a little as possible reverse is geared pretty high.If you get stuck iam pulling you out going forward only if not iam using the winch most of the time its along for the ride anyhow.Joe

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!