P1000 2018 honda pioneer 1000-5 le coolant change

B

BobbySpray

Jun 23, 2021
Houston texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not changed my coolant yet and am wondering just how hard of a job this will be. Is there anyone who knows the procedure on how to do this properly or know where I can get info on it?

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just did mine a month ago when I had to replace my fan. Not a bad job, there are two drain plugs accessed from under the front, on the lines heading back to the motor.

There are two bleeders back on the motor, you need to bleed them both as you refill it. Have a buddy back there watching them as you pour in coolant. You can read my Fan Fail thread for a little more info.

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
B

BobbySpray

Jun 23, 2021
Houston texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you drain the system first with the two drain plugs under the front on the lines heading back towards the motor and then after its drained open the drain plug under the seat located on the drivers side on the front of the motor (the bolt with the crush washer) and also the one on the thermostat to refill. Where is the thermostat located and do you have to fully remove the bolts to let the air out of the system or just loosen them? Do you have to remove anything to get to the two drain plugs or are they visible under the front of the machine on the lines?

B

BobbySpray

Jun 23, 2021
Houston texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know I have a lot of questions. What coolant did you use and how much does it take? Do you fill it from the overflow reservoir or the radiator itself. When refilling how do you know all the air is out of the system and when do you put the air removal bolts back in. In other words, the person that is watching the air draining while i am putting the fluid will just tell me when fluid comes out with no air bubbling out of both the thermostat and the bolt removed under the seat and toward the front of the engine? Is that how you tell all the air is out of the system?

B

BobbySpray

Jun 23, 2021
Houston texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would you recommend me buying a service manual before changing the coolant?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would you recommend me buying a service manual before changing the coolant?
Site members get access to the service manuals I believe. 😉 Maybe a quick pm to hondasxs can confirm that for you.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, you should get a service manual. It has pictures that will help with some of your questions. It's good to have for a lot of things. Your owners manual also has your coolant spec. It's basically known as Japanese auto, blue. One gallon premixed will do the job.

I stated it wrong earlier - there's not two bleeders at the back, just the one. There's a second DRAIN at the back, that also seems to let out a lot of air when you open it.

Drain the reserve tank
Drain system via the lower front drain bolts (they are readily accessible from below.)
Drain system via the rear drain bolt
Replace all drain bolts
Fill the reserve tank to fill line
Open bleeder on thermostat (top of engine, look for the coolant line. You can leave the bolt in loosely.)
Fill coolant into radiator until it runs from bleeder valve without bubbles
Close bleeder valve
Top off radiator, but leave the cap off

Do running / bleeding procedure
Start/ run in park 2-3 minutes
snap the throttle 2-3 times to get bubbles out
shut it off, top off radiator
cap radiator, add to reserve tank if needed.

B

BobbySpray

Jun 23, 2021
Houston texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are awesome. Very good instructions!! I don't even need the manual now but I will get it just in case. Thank you for taking the time to explain. Very helpful!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not changed my coolant yet and am wondering just how hard of a job this will be. Is there anyone who knows the procedure on how to do this properly or know where I can get info on it?
Just a consideration -
I have an 18 LE, I use a hydrometer to test antifreeze
(Because I'm old school) and I test mine every year.
The viscosity is like new and good for -25 below.

Point being is you may not need to change it yet.
Opinion will vary.

advertisement