P1000 2018 P1000-5 rough idle/backfire

Z

Zlawson

Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve got a 2018 Pioneer that won’t idle and is backfiring out of the intake. I’ve replaced the IACV with a factory Honda sensor, I’ve also replaced the Fuel Pump and Injectors less then 400 (edit miss typed) miles ago. The spark plugs were also replaced when the fuel pump was. It will run great when driving but idling it backfires through the intake then dies. Has anyone had this problem? No engine codes and have checked injector wiring. This thing has me stumped…

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan.
a few things. first thing we need is more info to the story, miles and did u swamp it, and why would you change all those parts just for a backfire?

Last but not least, when u first post we require proof “pics” of the machine in question so…
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Z

Zlawson

Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was bought from a close friend. It had sat over the winter and when it was brought home it had a loss of power. I pulled the fuel pump out and the screen was clogged, So I changed the injectors and pump while I was doing everything. Also with the spark plugs, oil change, ect. But after driving it a couple months the idle became an issue from the cold. I cleaned the iacv and it helped idle but I replaced because it wasn’t running correctly and figured it would give me a piece of mind. It has 6000 miles on it and no it has not been in deep water.
6FB3167D E3CA 47E3 9FBA 995BDF9CA194
1432DBD2 5AA9 4763 945E 7656C6E8E05B

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It was bought from a close friend. It had sat over the winter and when it was brought home it had a loss of power. I pulled the fuel pump out and the screen was clogged, So I changed the injectors and pump while I was doing everything. Also with the spark plugs, oil change, ect. But after driving it a couple months the idle became an issue from the cold. I cleaned the iacv and it helped idle but I replaced because it wasn’t running correctly and figured it would give me a piece of mind. It has 6000 miles on it and no it has not been in deep water. View attachment 325886View attachment 325884
Sounds more like you had bad gas. Did you dump the gas after u changed the pump? Stupid question, have u checked the air filter and have you cleaned the spark arrester? That could have carbon on it causing rough idle and other issues.

oh and thanks for the pics!

Reactions: Smitty335
Z

Zlawson

Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gas was completely drained and tank was cleaned out. Yes I had put a new air filter in when I did the maintenance. Sorry I forgot to add that. I pulled the Spark Arrester out as I read your comment. Has a little build up but nothing bad. But have noticed when revving it has faint black smoke from the exhaust like it’s too rich. O2 maybe reading incorrectly? Thanks I’m advance

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
O2 maybe reading incorrectly?
I was going to suggest that. When u have a compromised fuel system you can have issues with O2 sensors and the catalyst. you should get a code but sometimes not.

advertisement
Z

Zlawson

Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update- O2 Sensor changed nothing. I checked the grounds and everything was tight but i took the cables off cleaned them and the surface and tightened them back up. While being frustrated i bought a leak down tester thinking maybe intake valve was leaking. Tested perfect, so i checked intake and exhaust clearances and everything was within spec of hondas service manual. I have a dynojet Power Vision 3 hoping to see something off with something. My only concern is my map reading is 12psi at full throttle and the 10-11psi at idle. Should it fluctuate being opening it to wot would lose most vacume? I also dont have enough experience to know what im looking at. Any help is appreciated

Reactions: Lady01
N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Im kinda going through the same thing right now, ever found the fix??

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Nickdartez start a new thread and describe all of your symptoms. Usually the group will be able to identify the problem. Looks like we missed on this one...

@Zlawson did you find the issue?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!