P1000m5 2019 1000-5 Boil Over

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Riding in the mountains of Northern Az last week and and the Pioneer boiled over twice. Conditions were
Machine - 2019 Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Milage - 658 at time of first boil
Elevation- 6000 - 7500 feet
Temps. Mid 70's
Terrain- Mostly fire roads
First boil over was after descending a hill at about 5 miles an hour. Road banks were high along here so I was able to pull it up a bank with about a 45 deg+ slope left the cap on the radiator and it burped enough that I had to add 16 oz. of water, its all I had. No problems until the next day when we were riding out a gravel road to the highway so we could head back to camp and again it boiled.
This machine has never crossed a stream and never been mudded. Its well maintained and had a fresh air filter.
Pretty lost at this point, going to the dealer today to make an appointment. Needless to say I have zero confidence in the machine at this point. The cab heat and now this boiling over on a new machine is such BS especially considering that it cost more than a new civic. Seriously thinking about trading for a Polaris General. Riding buddy has one and their fit finish and performance is just more refined.
Any thoughts? I thought that the 2019 got the updated programming to eliminate the boil over problem.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Riding in the mountains of Northern Az last week and and the Pioneer boiled over twice. Conditions were
Temps. Mid 70's
First boil over was after descending a hill at about 5 miles an hour. Road banks were high along here so I was able to pull it up a bank with about a 45 deg+ slope left the cap on the radiator and it burped enough that I had to add 16 oz. of water, its all I had. No problems until the next day when we were riding out a gravel road to the highway so we could head back to camp and again it boiled.
This machine has never crossed a stream and never been mudded. Its well maintained and had a fresh air filter.
Pretty lost at this point, going to the dealer today to make an appointment. Needless to say I have zero confidence in the machine at this point. The cab heat and now this boiling over on a new machine is such BS especially considering that it cost more than a new civic. Seriously thinking about trading for a Polaris General. Riding buddy has one and their fit finish and performance is just more refined.
Any thoughts? I thought that the 2019 got the updated programming to eliminate the boil over problem.

So the first 658 miles were good and now you've lost all hope? Burp it again. Some of them can be stubborn getting the air out of the system. @hondabob lives in Arizona with over 14k miles and not a problem. I've ridden the mountains plenty without issue. I'm on my second pioneer and have never had one overheat.

One thing you can do is take the radiator cap off, start the machine and let it come up to temperature. It will take 15-20 minutes but will eventually work all the air out.

Or you can trade for a Polaris if you really like supporting your local mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the first 658 miles were good and now you've lost all hope? Burp it again. Some of them can be stubborn getting the air out of the system. @hondabob lives in Arizona with over 14k miles and not a problem. I've ridden the mountains plenty without issue. I'm on my second pioneer and have never had one overheat.

One thing you can do is take the radiator cap off, start the machine and let it come up to temperature. It will take 15-20 minutes but will eventually work all the air out.

Or you can trade for a Polaris if you really like supporting your local mechanic.

So the first 658 miles were good and now you've lost all hope?
When you are 15 miles from camp and have a boil over it tends to shake your confidence in " Honda Reliability " Good thing we had water. I know Honda Bob, Good Guy. But just because he has not had any problem doesn't mean that others haven't. I will try taking the cap off and running it up to temp and see if I get any more air out of it. How much air can be trapped? I have already replaced a pint of fluid. What is cooling system fluid capacity?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So the first 658 miles were good and now you've lost all hope?
When you are 15 miles from camp and have a boil over it tends to shake your confidence in " Honda Reliability " Good thing we had water. I know Honda Bob, Good Guy. But just because he has not had any problem doesn't mean that others haven't. I will try taking the cap off and running it up to temp and see if I get any more air out of it. How much air can be trapped? I have already replaced a pint of fluid. What is cooling system fluid capacity?

I understand your frustration. Like anything, consider the average, none are perfect but the pioneer is tough to beat.

I'm not sure on capacity. @snuffnwhisky ran his with the cap off and I think ended up adding a fair amount. That was post eruption however, after the air worked itself out.

Something about the cooling system seems to make it tough to get all the air out. Give it a try as posted and see what happens. I wouldn't bother with a dealer just yet.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe a dry cooling system is less than a gallon to fill.
Manual says 3.5L after disassembly.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
We have overheating problems with my wifes 2018 P1000-5. It used to be all the time. Especially in sugar sand. I bought a radiator vaccuum and Evens Waterless Coolant at $50 a gallon. Drained radiator, block, cooling lines, etc... put a vaccuum on the system and sucked in the waterless coolant. This cut the overheating waaaaaaaaaaay down. When I put the new coolant in I also installed a 2nd cooling fan in front of the radiator wired to a switch on her switch panel. For the most part this has done the trick. Every once in a while it will still overheat if you dog it too much. We have lots of people our riding club and the Poooolaris's also overheat, plus they have all the other problems that Pooooolaris is known for.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
After your first boil over it seems they some what lock air that has to be burped out just right. Or they won’t cool correctly had it happen a few times, same with plumbers on flag mountain.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It sounds like there is air still in it. I would suggest what Cuoutdoors said first.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I can say from experience!
When the machine boils over it must suck air into the system. If you boil over make sure you burp it a couple times .

Reactions: Landman
H

HondaTech

Temps. Mid 70's

The 2019 models have certain VINs that are suppose to require the update though Honda never gave us a range of VINs to check.

Have your dealer check the ECM software number and see if it's got an available update. If the ECM software number ends in a 2 your machine does not need the reflash.

advertisement
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can say from experience!
When the machine boils over it must suck air into the system. If you boil over make sure you burp it a couple times .
Thanks Guys. A couple of good burps will be happening tomorrow if the rain holds off. I know its not an end of days problem but when your out a long way from home and this happens it tends to shake your confidence, not to mention I had to suffer my Polaris buddy for the rest of the week. The Honda is still under warranty so while I am going to burp it myself just for practice I made an appointment today for the dealer to drain and replace the coolant also flash the ECM which is what Honda Bob suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0860silverado
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The 2019 models have certain VINs that are suppose to require the update though Honda never gave us a range of VINs to check.

Have your dealer check the ECM software number and see if it's got an available update. If the ECM software number ends in a 2 your machine does not need the reflash.
Mine overheated in Colorado twice. It was one of the first that recieved the ECM update. The fan was running while it was boiling!

Reactions: Landman
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
All this talk of overheating...

Wasn't there a thread where a guy was saying the p1k' s cooling system simply isn't big enough? Could there be truth to this?

Also, did I see an aftermarket fan blade with more CFM?

C

Copperhead

Oct 9, 2018
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 overheated 3 times in Colorado. The altitude was around 11,000 feet. I finally had to raise the front end off the ground and burp it for 30 or 40 minutes. I was surprised at how much antifreeze it took to finally fill the radiator. It hasn't overheat since. 3 bars have showed up a couple of times at 11k to 12 k but, the OEM fan has handled it so far. Usually about 2 minutes and fan will cut off.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
All this talk of overheating...

Wasn't there a thread where a guy was saying the p1k' s cooling system simply isn't big enough? Could there be truth to this?

Also, did I see an aftermarket fan blade with more CFM?

The fix for the radiator hopefully will be complete within a week or so according to the fellow making the radiators, use the fan over ride switch Cooling Fan Override for Honda Pioneer 1000 models. or Pioneer 1000 Fan T-Harness DIY Fan Override! On/Off/Auto. . I still plan to use a fan override when the new radiator/fan combo is complete just to have the option.

Reactions: DG Rider
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine overheated in Colorado twice. It was one of the first that recieved the ECM update. The fan was running while it was boiling!

Tramgauge I can't say at the moment of boil over whether the fan was running or not but it was moments prior. And after the first burp and before the second over heat I was paying attention to the fan cycle and everything seemed normal fan function. Thanks for the input.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

HondaTech, I'm going to print this thread and take it in next week at my appointment just in case my dealer has any reservations about checking into the ECM as others have mentioned. We're still getting to know each other.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fix for the radiator hopefully will be complete within a week or so according to the fellow making the radiators, use the fan over ride switch Cooling Fan Override for Honda Pioneer 1000 models. or Pioneer 1000 Fan T-Harness DIY Fan Override! On/Off/Auto. . I still plan to use a fan override when the new radiator/fan combo is complete just to have the option.

Kilo427 Do you have the name of the guy working on an aftermarket radiator, for future reference? Thanks

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!