P1000 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000 tire upgrade

P

pap2491

Jan 31, 2021
Chico CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000 with stock wheels and tires. I want maximum ground clearance. What size tires and wheels are recommended to accomplish this?

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
BAM!💥 ^^^^
Welcome from The GLS! For those of you in Reo Linda thats the Great Lakes State AKA Michigan

This is your first post sooo

PICS OR IT DIDINT HAPPEN!

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000 with stock wheels and tires. I want maximum ground clearance. What size tires and wheels are recommended to accomplish this?

Welocme form NE Michigan
This is a funny ask, as it is asked a lot on the forum.
It's been stated over and over that 28" tires are the largest without a lift or floorboard mod for tire rub. I just put on a set of 15x7" wheels (with a 4+3 offset) on a set of 29.5" Maxxis Carnivore tires and a 3" Rough Country bracket lift. Tires are great but they do rub on full suspension compression while turning. I am waiting on a floor board mod kit to address the tire rub.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welocme form NE Michigan
This is a funny ask, as it is asked a lot on the forum.
It's been stated over and over that 28" tires are the largest without a lift or floorboard mod for tire rub. I just put on a set of 15x7" wheels (with a 4+3 offset) on a set of 29.5" maxxis carnivore tires and a 3" rough country bracket list. Tires are great but they rub on full suspension compression. I am waiting on a floor board mod kit to address the tire rub.
What shocks you runnin?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good question, running stock shocks.

I cannot bring myself to spend $$ just for shocks, can't decide if a nicer ride is worth the cost, although every post I have come across says its worth the bucks.
Roger that,
Reason i ask is that you rub at full compression. A good aftermarket shock will take care of that problem in 90% of cases.the spring rate and rebound is much grater. Now in my case, i have the QS3 Foxes and i run “true” 30’s the LT/MS tires not UTV tires that in most cases are not exact in hight say 28,29 and so on. Anyway, i have done the side door storage mod and have added weight to the machine. Therefore I did an inexpensive spring change that salved the over compression problem and just overall better performance of the shock. Noe for you, i would consider the cost of a better shock. You wont be unhappy you spent the cabbage on them. ;)
you can see the upgraded springs in silver.
1C2449CF AA74 4EEF 990F AEC462543485

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good question, running stock shocks.

I cannot bring myself to spend $$ just for shocks, can't decide if a nicer ride is worth the cost, although every post I have come across says its worth the bucks.
Also to note, the lift you have also changes the Geometry of you suspention putting your shocks at an almost vertical point especially in the rear. (I once had the same) This can make the ride much stiffer to the point if knocking out your fillings with stock shocks on our Mich snowmobile trails for sure lol. Aftermarket shocks will help cure that. But keep in mind in most cases with the pre load you can put on the aftermarket shocks, you can/will achieve The Lift hight you have now, eliminate the lift and can go back to the correct Geometry of the machine and a better ride.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also to note, the lift you have also changes the Geometry of you suspention putting your shocks at an almost vertical point especially in the rear. (I once had the same) This can make the ride much stiffer to the point if knocking out your fillings with stock shocks on our Mich snowmobile trails for sure lol. Aftermarket shocks will help cure that. But keep in mind in most cases with the pre load you can put on the aftermarket shocks, you can/will achieve The Lift hight you have now, eliminate the lift and can go back to the correct Geometry of the machine and a better ride.
Excellent, glad you responded, I have read some similar posts but was a bit skeptical.

Ok, I think I am convinced, some better shocks are in my near future... by the way the meats you have on your P1K look tough!

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Excellent, glad you responded, I have read some similar posts but was a bit skeptical.

Ok, I think I am convinced, some better shocks are in my near future... by the way the meats you have on your P1K look tough!
Thank you! Controversial subject about LT tires with some. Ive had them for about 3 years and cant say anything bad about them. Mud has been great, sand and the ware has been good as well not to mention the ride quality on pavement if u have to. I cant remember the weight of the wheel and tire combined but they werent much different than my other MSA’s and 28” Motoclaws i had before.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!