P1000 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000 P3 Canopy

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
First off I would like to send a big thanks to @slowdryrider for giving me the idea and the confidence to start this canopy project for my dogs. Mine is not as fancy because I did it a bit differently for the possibility of putting stuff on the roof but overall had the same goal. So here's the build.

Starting the aluminum frame using 1" square tubing. This was simple since I was connecting the joints using a rivet gun and 1" cut aluminum angle pieces. I mounted the base to the bed by removing the 4 corner tie downs and securing with longer bolts through the wood base. Notice I bought a used rubber truck bed and cut to size for my bed.....the Honda one was $150 locally and I scored this one for $25.
IMG 9041

Once the frame lay out was there, I added some bracing to stiffen it up. I did try the aluminum stick and handheld torch welding method, but it was not pretty and very time consuming, so I opted for securing the bracing with metal screws. This worked great and stiffen up the frame a ton to the point where I could pick it up from one side and it sill remained rigid. Not sure if I will go back and try the welding trick again lol since it doesn’t seem to be needed.
IMG 9044

65994139478  71BDE49C 7505 4A91 A238 CFFBC934BC94

Time for the panels. Notice the concerned future passengers standing in doorway lol.
IMG 9049

Matching the cab lines while ensuring my bed would still tilt was not a lot of fun and very frustrating.
IMG 9050

Checking to make sure my bed can tilt. You can see in the pic I added another leg on each side to secure to the bed as well as an aluminum base. I will re-mount the factory tie down brackets to the aluminum base later.
IMG 9048

Roof installed, rear door installed, and windows cut out. Notice the gaps at the top under the roof. I did this on purpose as I am concerned with heat in the back in the summertime since the Pioneers create a lot from what I have read. In the winter foam will be placed in these openings.
IMG 9057

After a couple quick passes with the sander, I added my first coat of Hercules bed liner. This stuff took forever to dry.
IMG 9059

Windows and rear hardware installed. Another tilt bed test…..obviously the bed would not tilt on its own with the added canopy weight but with about 10-15lbs of lifting assistance from me it worked fine and good news…..the canopy didn’t fall off lol.
IMG 9066

IMG 9062

Dog approved!
IMG 9065

Conclusion:
This was for sure a learning experience and I would do some things differently if I did it again but overall I think it turned out good and will work well for exactly what I intended……keep my dogs dry and safe. It’s pretty solid and if I wanted to install a roof rack (75lbs max I would think) up there for two flat gas cans up there it would be totally fine but don’t really plan on it as of now. I am waiting for some led marker lights to show up from Amazon so I can have some running lights on the canopy as well as higher brake lights. I plan on installing some sealing foam on the front part to seal the to cab a bit better but don't plan on adding a front panel between the cab and canopy as of now. I still have not had my first ride yet, but I plan on this weekend so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks good man!

Is that a Black Shepherd? I had one once. Best dog

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks good man!

Is that a Black Shepherd? I had one once. Best dog
Yes sir, both are German Shepherds. Astro (white) is about 3 years old and Nova (black) is just over a year. Ridiculously loyal dogs that are way smarter then they should be.......not to mention the most spoiled. They are the reason I didn't just buy another Honda Foreman.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes sir, both are German Shepherds. Astro (white) is about 3 years old and Nova (black) is just over a year. Ridiculously loyal dogs that are way smarter then they should be.......not to mention the most spoiled. They are the reason I didn't just buy another Honda Foreman.
Yes, dogs are loyal and great! I have 2 labs now. 1 black and the other is silver. Love them both! And spoiled as hell! 😂

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Good build and explanations . Very tricky getting cutting the contours etc: to allow a nice seal and still allow dumping of the bed.
Your a handy man as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!