2021 Talon 1000x-4 Idle issues, CEL, I-4WD

M

mtparham

Jan 25, 2021
Albuquerque
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I recently bought a brand new Talon. I was dead set on a RZR but decided on the Talon based on reliability (I thought!). So I have 337 miles on this machine, 3 weeks old. I was impressed with it, until yesterday. My wife and I decided to take a little cruise. Started it, let it warm up, and off we went. We came over this hill about 1/4 mile into our ride and the machine starts acting up. Idling from low to high back and forth, the CEL came on as well as the I-4WD light and I couldn’t get the machine out of gear. I shut it off, wait about a minute and start it back up. Same thing. I shut it off again and it lets me put it in park. I turn the machine back on and the CEL light is off but still idles crazy. I walked back to get the truck and trailer. Went to start the machine to load it and it wouldn’t even start. I dropped it off at the dealership and now I wait. I’ve seen a few posts similar, and resolved issues? Anyone with the same issues? Also, has most of us had good luck dealing with Honda and their warranties? I’m extremely frustrated being this machine isn’t even three weeks old.

Last edited:
M

mtparham

Jan 25, 2021
Albuquerque
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Sounds like battery or ground issues.
I did a quick check on the battery cables, everything seemed secure, as far as other electrical wiring, I did not have time to check. What does concern me is the motor had a bad noise. Not a knocking noise, but more of a high pitched porcelain rattling against metal noise. Checked the plugs and they were still in tack.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That’s weird. I just got my brand new one home today with 2-miles on it and I was in the drive way detailing it because I am anal like that and went to start it and it wouldn’t start after multiple tries. It eventually started but was sounding different then before?

M

mtparham

Jan 25, 2021
Albuquerque
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That’s weird. I just got my brand new one home today with 2-miles on it and I was in the drive way detailing it because I am anal like that and went to start it and it wouldn’t start after multiple tries. It eventually started but was sounding different then before?
Lol I took mine for about a 20 mile drive after I got it. Of course with the motor being brand new it had some smells, but nothing crazy. I wouldn’t be too concern yet, run it for awhile and check fluids! Sometimes I just get paranoid and think the same.

Reactions: Blownzuki and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check your sub trans fluid levels, many are delivered low. Both of my new Talon's were 10 oz. low - that's damn near 1/3 under filled.

M

mtparham

Jan 25, 2021
Albuquerque
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Check your sub trans fluid levels, many are delivered low. Both of my new Talon's were 10 oz. low - that's damn near 1/3 under filled.
Oh wow. I checked at 120 miles during the first service, it was fine then. That’s not typically an oil that will burn fast, is it?

Reactions: Blownzuki and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh wow. I checked at 120 miles during the first service, it was fine then. That’s not typically an oil that will burn fast, is it?
No, if it was full from Honda, it will always be full. They've shipped many low from the factory and the dealerships aren't catching it.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Does it have a dipstick? Or is it a inspection window? If so where do I check?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It has a dipstick. Don't screw it back in after wiping clean, just sit it on top of the threads. There's more basic Talon info linked in my sig.

As seen from the right rear tire - Photo thx to Lil_Steve

M

mtparham

Jan 25, 2021
Albuquerque
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So I spoke to the dealership today, just wanted to give an update and an FYI. There are two bolts that hold a clamp together on the clean side of the air box (inside the air box) well somehow, some freak accident, one of those bolts backed off and got sucked down the inlet tube and into the motor. The service manager said this is not common and very unfortunate. My point, when you are replacing your air filter, you may want to inspect these bolts and verify they are tight! I don't see why Honda would give me a run around, but lets just hope they cover it!

IntakeBox

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!