100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And does I-4wd still suck the joy out of riding?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, the Talon has i4wd. I asked one of the hard-core guys here how the Talon's i4wd was working for him, he had added a Talon to his P1K. He said that he had bought a Torque Locker right away but hasn't installed it because the i4wd works so well. Sorry, I forgot who I asked. 😊

CP rides in a group, P1Ks alongside Talon's - the Talon can get everywhere the P1K does but he has to beat it like a red headed step child in the roughest sections. Note that he's been riding without low range for months now, so there's that.

The Talon's suspension is so much better than the P1K's that it makes up for any imagined i4wd 'shortcomings'.

Since I usually ride alone, if I can't 'get there' with i4wd, I don't need to be there. It'll get me waaaaaay past trouble as is. :oops:

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, the Talon has i4wd. I asked one of the hard-core guys here how the Talon's i4wd was working for him, he had added a Talon to his P1K. He said that he had bought a Torque Locker right away but hasn't installed it because the i4wd works so well. Sorry, I forgot who I asked. 😊

CP rides in a group, P1Ks alongside Talon's - the Talon can get everywhere the P1K does but he has to beat it like a red headed step child in the roughest sections. Note that he's been riding without low range for months now, so there's that.

The Talon's suspension is so much better than the P1K's that it makes up for any imagined i4wd 'shortcomings'.

Since I usually ride alone, if I can't 'get there' with i4wd, I don't need to be there. It'll get me waaaaaay past trouble as is. :oops:
I need to see if I can fit in one and with the dogs. I need to do this before I make a final decision between a 4 seater Talon or the 1000-5 Trail.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I need to see if I can fit in one and with the dogs. I need to do this before I make a final decision between a 4 seater Talon or the 1000-5 Trail.
That might become a problem for your giantness, :oops: Talon's aren't krx roomy. Remember, it's pretty easy to move the seat up 1-1/2" and back 1-1/2", if that would be enough.

Reactions: ChadD and Blownzuki
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Personally Dan, I would get the trail.
With the dogs, so much easier to deal with. If u get soft doors or just use the rear nets. Thats what I do with our lab/labs. A 4 seat Talon you would have to modify the back seats for the dogs. Im 6-2 and my X2 it a tighter fit. Ive been in a 4 and its about the same in the front from what I remember. You've ben riding with me before and you know how much shorter Iam to you so take that in account.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally Dan, I would get the trail.
With the dogs, so much easier to deal with. If u get soft doors or just use the rear nets. Thats what I do with our lab/labs. A 4 seat Talon you would have to modify the back seats for the dogs. Im 6-2 and my X2 it a tighter fit. Ive been in a 4 and its about the same in the front from what I remember. You've ben riding with me before and you know how much shorter Iam to you so take that in account.
TODAY I TRIED ON A TALON FOR SIZE. I got into a 4 seater and I felt like a clam in a clamshell. It’s really just not big enough. If any long period of time in there and id be cramping up. When will the wee people of Japan start designing machines for big Americans? I AM RUNNING INTO A SHORTAGE OF Trail models. Honda is only putting out allotments. They said that I can’t even order one. There was one coming in that I said I put a down payment on but the CDA Powersports employee beat me too it. They also said a blue one might be in next month but sorry, no. I MIGHT AS WELL PAINT A f***ING RAINBOW ON IT!

i got a new iPad today with a detachable keypad and I’m relearning to type.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Forest shocks looked absolutely cheap. The 1000 deluxe models no longer come with aluminum under armor so there’s little upgrade there against a regular EPS BASE model. Definitely not worth $1000 extra just for rims and tires. HONDA is going to SHIEST Quick!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
TODAY I TRIED ON A TALON FOR SIZE. I got into a 4 seater and I felt like a clam in a clamshell. It’s really just not big enough. If any long period of time in there and id be cramping up. When will the wee people of Japan start designing machines for big Americans? I AM RUNNING INTO A SHORTAGE OF Trail models. Honda is only putting out allotments. They said that I can’t even order one. There was one coming in that I said I put a down payment on but the CDA Powersports employee beat me too it. They also said a blue one might be in next month but sorry, no. I MIGHT AS WELL PAINT A f***ING RAINBOW ON IT!

i got a new iPad today with a detachable keypad and I’m relearning to type.
Well if you're buying iPads instead of Android tablet for off road navigation, then you're definitely looking at the wrong machines.

Have you considered a KRX?

:D:D:D:D

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well if you're buying iPads instead of Android tablet for off road navigation, then you're definitely looking at the wrong machines.

Have you considered a KRX?

:D:D:D:D
I’ve been using iPads for GPS land nav for a really long time. Way before i ever bought the P500

Reactions: JenElio and ChadD
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’ve been using iPads for GPS land nav for a really long time. Way before i ever bought the P500
The reason I say this is many of them in past 5 years to current do not rely only on the GPS chip like the Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

Apple, for marketing reason only works most accurately with GPS AND Cell or WIFI combined. Have seen many iPads off by 600 ft when used without cell or WiFi redundancy, where the Samsung's were spot on in side by side tests. Could make a difference on a dark foggy night in unfamiliar terrain.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The reason I say this is many of them in past 5 years to current do not rely only on the GPS chip like the Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

Apple, for marketing reason only works most accurately with GPS AND Cell or WIFI combined. Have seen many iPads off by 600 ft when used without cell or WiFi redundancy, where the Samsung's were spot on in side by side tests. Could make a difference on a dark foggy night in unfamiliar terrain.
I did buy the one with Wi-Fi, gps and cellular. You don’t need to pay for a subscription via Verizon for the cellular etc but the GPS uses the cell antenna. I’m just used to Apple stuff. IVE ALSO BEEN USING THE GARMIN IN REACH EXPLORER FOR YEARS AS WELL. Re learning to type. I got a detachable keypad. I keep hitting the caps lock tab…

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!