I 4wd not working.

D

Derek1000r

Sep 27, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey,
I found out this weekend my 4wd was not working. I got stuck. I was switched to 4wd, and the dash said I was in 4wd, but not.
So I did some checking, in the factory manual,
I have 12v at the fuse, and it’s good. Then the fuse by the battery. Is good, then I went on to the relay, it has all its b+ powers, but I have no ground.. so next I have to see if I have a broken wire, bad connection or bad pcm.
Ground comes from the pcm.
Anyone have this issue.???

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I’ve not had that issue
19CB4F18 064E 44CE 9CAA 02241C3C8560

H

HondaTech

Hey,
I found out this weekend my 4wd was not working. I got stuck. I was switched to 4wd, and the dash said I was in 4wd, but not.
I have 12v at the fuse, and it’s good. Then the fuse by the battery. Is good, then I went on to the relay, it has all its b+ powers, but I have no ground.. so next I have to see if I have a broken wire, bad connection or bad pcm.

Sounds like maybe the 4wd clutch could have failed.

You can apply power to the clutch wires and see if locks the driveshaft to the front diff.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey,
2 post since 19’ and no pics 🤨
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you had any flats? My father-in-law had a flat once which disables the i4wd. Dealership had to reset the warning light then it started working again. Dealership wasn't even aware of that happening.
Really?
I've had flats front and back and driven short distances flat, too. I4wd wasn't effected.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Really?
I've had flats front and back and driven short distances flat, too. I4wd wasn't effected.

Yep, it happened with a front flat on a '19 X2. I don't think a rear flat would affect it.
I’m pretty sure it happened to @Lil_Steve too. You could be right about the rear not affecting it, it’s locked and couldn’t show different wheel speeds.

D

Derek1000r

Sep 27, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
The ground is through the PCM. If there is a fault maybe the PCM will not actvate the output.
Yes, I’m doing a check from the pcm to the relay, see if I have a broken wire, if it check out it’s a bad pcm. Going thru the Honda manual, so far I have checked, two of the grounds, are open. So I need to do more checking.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m pretty sure it happened to @Lil_Steve too. You could be right about the rear not affecting it, it’s locked and couldn’t show different wheel speeds.

OP's issue sounds different than what happened to me. When I tried 32's up front with stock 28's on the rear for a test ride around the block, that triggered the I-4wd light to come on. I had to jump the service connector under the seat and perform a procedure outlined in the service manual to reset the DTC. If I remember correctly, I never lost the I-4wd function, just that the light came on.

D

Derek1000r

Sep 27, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don’t have any grounds at the pcm gray connector, there are three green wires, on the connector, that have no ground, so the pcm can’t give a ground to the relay..

D

Derek1000r

Sep 27, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
So do have grounds that are good, I wasn’t probing far enough in to the connector. So I bought a i4wd bypass harness from Hess Motorsports, installed it, still no 4wd, I’m thinking now it’s a bad front final clutch. When 12v applied, I don’t hear any click from the clutch.
Front clutch that engages the 4wd. One more test, lift the front wheels off the ground, apply 12v to the green connector, it should lock up one of the front wheels. If it doesn’t it a bad front final clutch.

D

Derek1000r

Sep 27, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
Okey, after more testing, I lost a ground at the final clutch, so I traced the harness, up to a connector under the cowl in front of the driver above the steering colum, I disconnected and cleaned, and also found a ground joint connector, center under the cowl, taped to the harness, pulled that apart, cleaned, dielectric grease on both. And I now have a ground. Everything looked good, no corrosion. But it works now.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Okey, after more testing, I lost a ground at the final clutch, so I traced the harness, up to a connector under the cowl in front of the driver above the steering colum, I disconnected and cleaned, and also found a ground joint connector, center under the cowl, taped to the harness, pulled that apart, cleaned, dielectric grease on both. And I now have a ground. Everything looked good, no corrosion. But it works now.
Thanks for closing the loop! Really helps people in the future that might be chasing the same problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!