i-4WD not engaging

T

Talon1000r22

Mar 27, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2019 Talon 1000r. When I attempt to turn the i-4WD on it blinks back and forth between 4wd and 2wd. Has anyone ever seen this issue? If so how did you fix it. Any information helps and is much appreciated

Update: I removed the relays and tested them with a relay buddy. All came back good. I cleaned the connections and plugged back in. i-4WD now engages as it should. Thanks to all for the help

Last edited:
advertisement
T

Talon1000r22

Mar 27, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from Michigan.
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

2DA9A19B 2CAE 4824 8FD0 87B9ADD1A704

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ignore the 2/4 indicator for now, that is just telling you it is not engaging and will not help with diagnosis. We need to concentrate on the light I am asking about.

The "! i4WD" light NEVER comes on, not even for a few seconds when you turn the key on?

advertisement
T

Talon1000r22

Mar 27, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ignore the 2/4 indicator for now, that is just telling you it is not engaging and will not help with diagnosis. We need to concentrate on the light I am asking about.

The "! i4WD" light NEVER comes on, not even for a few seconds when you turn the key on?
It only comes on for a few seconds on start and then goes away

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
It only comes on for a few seconds on start and then goes away
OK, everything normal there. The most common failures are fuses and the i4WD relay.

1) Check the "Unit Power", "ACC" and "4WD Unit" fuses.
2) Test the i4WD relay. You can also swap it for the Fan Relay but if that fixes it, DO NOT drive until you get a new relay or you will now overheat...

T

Talon1000r22

Mar 27, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
OK, everything normal there. The most common failures are fuses and the i4WD relay.

1) Check the "Unit Power", "ACC" and "4WD Unit" fuses.
2) Test the i4WD relay. You can also swap it for the Fan Relay but if that fixes it, DO NOT drive until you get a new relay or you will now overheat...

View attachment 326848
I checked the fuses but haven’t been able to locate a relay diagram until now. Thank you I will test the relays when I get home from work. Will update you on what I find

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!