P1000 2022 P1000 rack center learning-vs-vehicle center learning

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What is the difference between "rack center learning" and "vehicle center learning"?
And why would the latter need to be done? Does it take into acct. tracking of the rear axle?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What is the difference between "rack center learning" and "vehicle center learning"?
And why would the latter need to be done? Does it take into acct. tracking of the rear axle?
I looked at this, I was going to post instructions about how to do it but I left confused after reading it.
I may try to post the page images.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dont try and reinvent the wheel
Its already done, Now we need directions on rolling it.

With the new 2022+ units you cant just straighten your tires by moving the tie rod joints in/out or adjusting the steering wheel position.
The Rack has a center function that must be set as well.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Its already done, Now we need directions on rolling it.

With the new 2022+ units you cant just straighten your tires by moving the tie rod joints in/out or adjusting the steering wheel position.
The Rack has a center function that must be set as well.
I have the manual and read what to do but would like to know why I'm doin it. It seems to be taking total dynamic 4 wheel alignment into acct. and diagnosing how "dog assed" the vehicle wants to run at.
Am I thinking straight?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like it. And to think its one of the simpler utvs out there. I bet it would be fun working on one of the $50,000 units available.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thats what I meant. Its like that here in the Auto industry as well. They cant leave well enough alone
Exactly why I didn't pony up for the Live Valve and, judging by the number of posts on failures, I chose wisely. :( Too much complexity for the environment. Sure, it's cool as Hell on paper, but much too complex for the real world. And instead of figuring it out and getting it right, they'll keep 'upgrading' the complexity and NEVER get it right.

H

HondaTech

Exactly why I didn't pony up for the Live Valve and, judging by the number of posts on failures, I chose wisely. :( Too much complexity for the environment. Sure, it's cool as Hell on paper, but much too complex for the real world. And instead of figuring it out and getting it right, they'll keep 'upgrading' the complexity and NEVER get it right.

Your in luck, this new procedure is included on all 2022 and newer P1K and 2023 and newer Talons.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checking alignment on my 22 has been on my short list of things to do for a while, seems to pull left slightly. Didn't realize there were extra steps.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The procedure may seem like its extra work trying to align but it appears to assist in getting a truly aligned vehicle. It finds the kinematic center using steering motor torque. If I understand it right, if the rear axle alignment is out(and I suspect most are) this method seems to take that into account and compensate for it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!