2024 Pioneer 1000-6 towing

Stanbo

Stanbo

May 7, 2024
NE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Good morning,

I have a little over 500 miles on vehicle. I tow my aluminum 4-dog trailer around my 50 acre property (in Low/trailer mode). Have had no problems at all. As well, I have a lease, approximately 15 miles away, that I use to train dogs. In the past, I used a truck to transport the dogs and equipment, I'd like to use the Pioneer. It would be a heck of a lot more convenient to use the Honda (conditioning dogs while I'm there). If I use the Honda, I can use either the county roads (a bit longer distance, much lower speeds), or a Farm to Market highway (greater speeds, traffic, more stress on bike). Here's my question: Will towing that round trip (around 30 miles wither way) be safe for the transmission? Or, should i stick with my 1-ton farm truck? The dog trailer/dogs/equipment, with me and maybe another person, I'd say, weigh around 12-1500 lbs.

thanks in advance!

Bones Fork Kennel

Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would suggest checking your front wheel alignment before doing any extended higher speed runs on pavement. The Pioneers are known for being delivered out of spec. It makes for ill handling and fast tire wear.

Reactions: TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
id stick with the farm truck IMO, 1200 pounds on a 1600 pound vehicle don't jive for me, ive seen too many of these things get jackknifed because they are used out of bounds for towing and the darn things are so light - I don't know where the line is but 1200-1500 pounds going down a grade\turn , sight hill seems like a bad deal. doing 30-40mph with that weight behind and having to jump on the binders seems sketchy at best

the transmission will do it - no problem, that rig is just not made to be a long haul tow vehicle

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
id stick with the farm truck IMO, 1200 pounds on a 1600 pound vehicle don't jive for me, ive seen too many of these things get jackknifed because they are used out of bounds for towing and the darn things are so light - I don't know where the line is but 1200-1500 pounds going down a grade\turn , sight hill seems like a bad deal. doing 30-40mph with that weight behind and having to jump on the binders seems sketchy at best

the transmission will do it - no problem, that rig is just not made to be a long haul tow vehicle
I don't think he is saying the trailer is #12 to #15.
I think he is saying total cargo, including people, bed cargo, plus the trailer.
Would bet the trailer be under #10

I don't think that would be an issue.
100% agree, alignment will be your Achilles heel

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think he is saying total cargo, including people, bed cargo, plus the trailer.

Found this pic of his rig. Looks like the trailer that he will be pulling if that helps?
IMG 1975

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
is the Honda licensed? I’d recommend it if you’re going out on the roads. The club store has a 4 wire trailer plug that can be used for the trailer.

Use the paddle shifters in manual mode and you’ll be fine. Personally I’d use the back roads and keep the speeds reasonable like 30 mph maximum…

I pull my ice house nearly 2 miles with plow on front with my P1k5 in high no problem. I keep the speeds reasonable and don’t lug the engine. My ice house is just a tad over 3k lbs. Does this mean everyone should or it’s smart…no, but I’m just an idiot who grew up on a farm using the tool available with an abundance of caution, because it’s all we had.

Drive with caution, don’t bog the engine and allow for huge braking distances and it should be enjoyable ride.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

lol -

I’d put the P1K on a trailer, dogs in the P1K with heads out the nets and carry on - lol

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
lol -

I’d put the P1K on a trailer, dogs in the P1K with heads out the nets and carry on - lol
This is what I was thinking, but dogs in the pioneer and drive the pioneer only

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Agree - they know where they are going. Give em beers as well after their run and drive back
This is what I was thinking, but dogs in the pioneer and drive the pioneer only

And please don’t make this a how do I make cab warm in the winter and cool in the summer thread

• Haha
Reactions: Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Agree - they know where they are going. Give em beers as well after their run and drive back

And please don’t make this a how do I make cab warm in the winter and cool in the summer thread
Meh it’s easier just to drive naked in the summer lol.

advertisement