P1000 1000-6 platform question.

R

Ranger454

Jul 12, 2023
SC
Ownership

1. 520
Hey all, for those of you out there with the pioneer 1000/6 or have had hands on eyes on one I have somewhat about oddball question for you.

I absolutely love the Can-Am defender Pro as a platform. I really wish more side-by-side manufacturers would create More long bed utility focused side-by-side like the defender pro, which comes with a 6 foot bed and short cab. However, I always grew up riding something red and currently have a pioneer 520 but need another rig to keep up with the projects that I have going on . This is where my dilemma somewhat starts and I’m here trying to figure out what my options are.

Regarding the pioneer 1000–6, my question is, can you remove the rear seats and effectively turn the whole rear of the platform into a truck bed? I know that the entire area would not dump, that be restricted to the actual factory bed. But I won’t need much dumping functionality anyway. of course there would be gaps and areas where debris and crap could fall through, but I can design and fabricate a build a type of bedliner to set into an act as the truck bed.. Somewhat like a bathtub if you will. alternatively, could you turn 1000–6 into a flatbed ? I know the rear roll cage and doors would have to come off but a flatbed is really how I’m looking to use the rig and is where the Can-Am def pro really shines.

Pricewise, it looks like the 1000–6 and the defender pro are about a wash. Plus I’d have time in designing and building the flatbed if I went with the Honda but would be able to use the canned ham right out of the box.

Another option is to get a mini truck, but those things suck for various reasons.

Any help or insight into anybody who’s had hands on one of these is appreciated.

thanks. 🍻

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Considering the time and money that needs to be invested to achieve this... you are better off buying the Can-Ham. Its built for what you are looking for.

With the Honda, the engine head will be in the way. It's tucked between the bed and the rear seat.

Preview 928x522

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally wouldn’t invest the time and effort into turning a P1K6 into what the Defender Pro already is.

R

Ranger454

Jul 12, 2023
SC
Ownership

1. 520
Considering the time and money that needs to be invested to achieve this... you are better off buying the Can-Ham. Its built for what you are looking for.

With the Honda, the engine head will be in the way. It's tucked between the bed and the rear seat.

View attachment 413803
Thanks. Couple of ways to address that issue.

admittedly, I haven’t researched this model much but after a few minutes on YouTube and the net, I like even more the features that Honda put on this unit that I didn’t previously know about. Tow/haul, stiffer chassis, self leveling rear suspension, return to center steering, upgraded eps assist. These in addition to the Honda reliability (gear trans) and toughness make this little idea exercise even more enticing.

I’m always looking for an excuse to fabricate something and sure it’ll take time but I still have more research to do.

Would love go get my hands on the technical drawings/illustrations for this unit, owners manual (should be easy to find), and a Honda manufacturing 3D model would absolutely be icing on the cake.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 413803
@Hondasxs ,behind the front seat structurally, it’s actually a P1K-3 isn’t it?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!