rzrbk2123

rzrbk2123

Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2024
Clarkston, mi
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Good morning,
Brand new pioneer and I’m hearing a flapping noise on acceleration and deceleration. It “sounds like” a loose metal mud flap hitting something when I hit the gas or let off the gas. The sound doesn’t continue after the flap sound just the one time before as after. Any thoughts or ideas how to fix?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Does your buggy have a cab heater installed?

With a cab heater installed under the driver's seat a plastic hose similar to a home clothes dryer vent hose is routed under the cab floor sandwiched between the cab floor and skid plate to provide hot air to dash outlets. This space includes the rotating front drive shaft. If the heater duct hose is not secured in place it can slide over against the driveshaft.

The drive shaft will snatch the heat duct and wrap it around the driveshaft. It can also grab and destroy a wiring harness.

rzrbk2123

rzrbk2123

Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2024
Clarkston, mi
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Thanks for the reply HBarlow. Yes there is an inferno heater installed under the back driver side seat and the heating ducts run under the buggy. I’ll check the install to see if it’s hitting near the drive shaft. It would have to be the front shaft I assume. The ducts are a plastic material and flapping sounds like metal. Either way it’s worth a check. Thanks

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Better get under it and check it out. Had mine for two years started smelling antifreeze this winter. I did have a small leak at the heater when it was new and it just need the hose tightened more. But this was not the case this time. Got to looking, and this thing has got mud and cow s*** all over it, and see one of the radiator hose up front where it connects to a metal line, the clamp was missing. Well the clamp had slid down the hose. Got to looking a little closer and the other radiator clamp had slid too. They didn't even tighten these hoses and I've drove this thing for two years. You better check it out. Quality help is not what it use to be.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for the reply HBarlow. Yes there is an inferno heater installed under the back driver side seat and the heating ducts run under the buggy. I’ll check the install to see if it’s hitting near the drive shaft. It would have to be the front shaft I assume. The ducts are a plastic material and flapping sounds like metal. Either way it’s worth a check. Thanks

Don't drive it until you drop the belly pan or lift the floor panels to inspect.

The flapping sound you hear is most likely the heater duct up against the driveshaft being struck by a joint in the driveshaft each time it rotates. The slap sound is the duct slapping the lower pan/skid plate.

When the shaft wears or tears a hole in the plastic duct it will grab it and rotate with it ripping it to shreds. The tension created can damage seals and bearings in the sub-transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Good morning,
Brand new pioneer and I’m hearing a flapping noise on acceleration and deceleration. It “sounds like” a loose metal mud flap hitting something when I hit the gas or let off the gas. The sound doesn’t continue after the flap sound just the one time before as after. Any thoughts or ideas how to fix?
If the sound is metallic that you mentioned in a follow up reply, it can also be the metal coolant lines running from the engine in back to radiator up front should they have any way to move. if you can find some thin foam rubber or something like a bicycle inner tube to put between it and any frame member it might touch with movement could help. Not sure if that is the problem on the 1000-6 but I can assure you the Yamaha RMAX owners whine like jet engines of the constant tapping sounds those coolant lines make above 35 miles an hour. Good luck tracking down the noise.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and ChadD
rzrbk2123

rzrbk2123

Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2024
Clarkston, mi
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
If the sound is metallic that you mentioned in a follow up reply, it can also be the metal coolant lines running from the engine in back to radiator up front should they have any way to move. if you can find some thin foam rubber or something like a bicycle inner tube to put between it and any frame member it might touch with movement could help. Not sure if that is the problem on the 1000-6 but I can assure you the Yamaha RMAX owners whine like jet engines of the constant tapping sounds those coolant lines make above 35 miles an hour. Good luck tracking down the noise.
Thank you. I’ll check it out this weekend.

Reactions: Buggyman and JACKAL
rzrbk2123

rzrbk2123

Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2024
Clarkston, mi
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Update: turns out the sounds is coming from the trans. I believe it’s the clickof the clutch just before shifting. I’ll assume that’s normal with only a few miles on it. Let me know if that’s abnormal.
Thanks for all the replies. Having a blast riding this on the trails in northern MI. Good to know there’s lots of help out there.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
turns out the sounds is coming from the trans.
ben drinkin eh!🤔😂
Attachment

Let me know if that’s abnormal.
Yep, they make that clicking sound when shifting. Perfectly normal.
Having a blast riding this on the trails in northern MI
Where bouts?

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The solenoid is definitely noisy. I feel like I did my research before I bought mine and knew about it before, but I was still surprised by it when I got it. It either quiets down or you get used to it after a while. It seems much more pronounced in low range than high

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Around the Hillman and Atlanta area and trail systems
Cool. Nice trails. My cabin isnt far from there.
Lewiston/Crapo Trail system

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Got a place on long lake in Hillman.
Use to have 10acres on Carney road @ the corner of 65&32 in technically Lachine also close to you

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!