21 pioneer 1000-5 transmission issue

F

Froghair

Feb 21, 2021
Silver City, NM
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Perhaps someone may be able to help me diagnose an issue I had recently. We had been out doing some trail riding in the White Mountains of Arizona and everything was going well. We rode some areas that required 4x4 low range to climb over some of the rocks in the trail and negotiate the steep grade. When we topped out and started to head back to camp several symptoms popped up.
1. The transmission stopped holding us back when going downhill
2. The Electric Steering Assist light came on and the steering got a little harder
3. The transmission would not up-shift out of 1st gear. Not in Automatic mode, Manual mode or Sport mode
4. The Speedometer would not work.
We made it back to camp in 1st gear and low RPMs. I read through the operator's manual but didn't have anything helpful there. I let the machine set for about 3 hours then started it up and everything worked perfectly again. There were no other alarms or lights on the panel when everything quit on us.
If anyone has a clue what could have caused it I would appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Froghair
Silver City New Mexico

Reactions: ChadD and TripleB
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That many issues popping up at once would point to checking all of your grounds first. Make sure to put a wrench on each of them, make sure the contacts are clean. Don't just do a wiggle-test, that can miss things.

Search the forum for ground points to get the locations you need to check.

F

Froghair

Feb 21, 2021
Silver City, NM
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That many issues popping up at once would point to checking all of your grounds first. Make sure to put a wrench on each of them, make sure the contacts are clean. Don't just do a wiggle-test, that can miss things.

Search the forum for ground points to get the locations you need to check.
Thanks Dave,
I had thought it may have been tied to a speed sensor somewhere since all of the issues use the speed of the machine to function. I will check the grounds though for sure.

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been trying to find you this one good post I remember that showed the three locations you need to check. They're in the service manual.

Here's one post with symptoms and ground as the culprit

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, page 1-46 of the service manual has three chassis ground locations - someone else can confirm if this is all you need (I've not had ground issues myself)

Screenshot 20220918 230206 Foxit PDF Editor

advertisement
F

Froghair

Feb 21, 2021
Silver City, NM
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got a chance to look things over and found loose grounds on the batteries and some corrosion. I cleaned that up and tightened everything up so I will find out on the 19th if that fixed it. I have scheduled a ride with some friends. Thanks for the assist.

Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!