P700 27" Tire Torque Loss

Bluehammer

Bluehammer

May 4, 2018
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone have any "real data" on torque loss going from stock 25's to 27" tires?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What do you mean by "real data"?
Anytime you go to taller tires, you effectively raise the gearing and reduce the torque that can be put to the ground, and the 700 doesn't have a lot to give up. A lot of people run 27" and seem ok, but I don't think I'll ever go over the 26" I just installed.

Last edited:
Bluehammer

Bluehammer

May 4, 2018
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
What do you mean by "real data"?
Anytime you go to taller tires, you raise the gearing reduce the torque that can be put to the ground, and the 700 doesn't have a lot to give up. A lot of people run 27" and seem ok, but I don't think I'll ever go over the 26" I just installed.
Thanks, What i mean by real data is actual foot pounds of torque loss numbers. I use mine for all sorts of pulling and dragging. I'm looking for a bit of lift (clearance) and additional "grip" if that makes sense.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks, What i mean by real data is actual foot pounds of torque loss numbers. I use mine for all sorts of pulling and dragging. I'm looking for a bit of lift (clearance) and additional "grip" if that makes sense.
You're welcome. Someone posted some numbers from a formula in the last few days, but I can't seem to find it now. I think they found it on a Rzr forum, so maybe google it.
I've never seen actual torque figure for the 700, only HP (36 HP from the C.A.R.B. site). The few people who have had a 700 on a Dyno seem to want to keep it a secret for some reason.

Reactions: Bluehammer
SWB

SWB

Apr 22, 2019
South Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have 27 on mine. Wanted to go to 28's . But, after two season with mine. Decided I will be ok. You talking about pulling. I think a 26 with good bite would pull just as good as a 27. Maybe even better with lower gear ratio with shorter tires.

Reactions: Bluehammer
R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is the thread by BarRZR on RZRforums.net and is where I got my figures. I think the 700 is running 36hp? That is the number I used in the formula in the thread below.

Think of the tire the same way as a sprocket or a gear, the circumference of which will, obviously, travel further per revolution with a relatively bigger tire than a smaller. So, extending that analogy, by mounting a larger-diameter tire, you are effectively "raising" the gear-ratio. "The difference in travel can be calculated by applying the circumference formula: C=pi X D, where pi=3.1416 and D=diameter. Now, the loss in power with this new "gear-ratio" can be, to a first-order approximation, calculated by dividing the circumference of the smaller tire by the circumference of the larger tire, which will produce a decimal fraction. This decimal fraction multiplied by the gross power that you had before the tire-change will (again, to a first order) be a good approximation of how much power remains after the increase in tire diameter.

I found somewhere there was a formula for weight also but cannot find it again. I think I agree with the above statement that I am not going over a 26 on mine. I don't try to climb Everest but do haul 4 guys with and a deer hanging off the back rack through the bottoms in Louisiana so do need to keep my power up as much as possible. When I can afford it I will put new shocks on. I need those. I would love portals but that ain't gonna happen at those prices and I know a guy. It will even be a while before I can afford new shocks and tires much less portals.

Last edited:
Cdaily3

Cdaily3

Jun 21, 2020
Washington state
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don’t have 27s so can’t talk for them but I do have 28” tusk terrabites and definitely can tell a difference. Not 100 percent sure if it’s because of the difference in weight (they are 8 ply) or size most likely both. I love the extra ground clearance and look. If I were to do it again I would try and get a set of 27s but find an 8 ply try and the lightest tire option. Would not recommend 28s.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!