P1000 2nd battery questions..

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so i have some questions. see a lot of second battery installs with isolators and the works. is there a reason a guy shouldn't put a truck battery in ? skip all the work, put a big dog under the driver seat and wire accessories accordingly. would having a big battery with a lot of capacity smoke the exciter ? i dont have any plans to add a second battery or even put in a better battery at this point. but kinda seems like a lot of extra to me. depending on sales at the truck shops you can get a big battery for like 80-100$ and it will last a long time and have essentially unlimited reserve capacity for winching and musical uses. all i do is ride around to my neighbors to bs and the wife uses it for moving feed and supplies to her horses.

been a truck mechanic for 14 years and i may be an idiot. not confirmed yet tho ;)

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so i have some questions. see a lot of second battery installs with isolators and the works. is there a reason a guy shouldn't put a truck battery in ? skip all the work, put a big dog under the driver seat and wire accessories accordingly. would having a big battery with a lot of capacity smoke the exciter ? i dont have any plans to add a second battery or even put in a better battery at this point. but kinda seems like a lot of extra to me. depending on sales at the truck shops you can get a big battery for like 80-100$ and it will last a long time and have essentially unlimited reserve capacity for winching and musical uses. all i do is ride around to my neighbors to bs and the wife uses it for moving feed and supplies to her horses.

been a truck mechanic for 14 years and i may be an idiot. not confirmed yet tho ;)
The short answer is yes you can add one big battery, many here have done this. The benefits of two is that you can manage the source accessories draw from and if your starting battery kills over on the trail, you can jump yourself from the auxiliary battery.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some do it others don’t. It’s all personal preference. Some use the space under seat for storage. If you do a lot of water some choose to keep wiring higher and dryer I would guess. Also good cables ain’t cheap and are priced by the foot that can add up. Plus the batty hold down needed to secure it. Not everyone is a mechanic with the skills and tools to do it and there’s a big hole under hood that just makes it so ez.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not sure what a Big truck battery might be, but I'm in the process of putting in a group 24 deep cycle for exactly what was described above. I have the little 700 but I believe it's a worthy upgrade if you have a winch and I plan to run lights at camp off the larger battery...enough with the broken Coleman mantles. Still playing with the idea of an inverter and if I do put one in it would run off the deep cycle too. Also considering a "jumping point" so I can use cables to jump others that may need some help without needing to pull the seat to access the battery. Big hole under the hood gets my heater when it arrives...apparently Santa is delaying some deliveries or the China bug has restricted activities in Seattle.

I think I paid +/- $80 at Auto Zone and I think I have less than $175 in the whole project thanks to left over parts and pieces. The battery certainly could just sit in there with charging taking place when you get home or other 110 volt source. We'll see if it was worthwhile after a couple trips.

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what a Big truck battery might be, but I'm in the process of putting in a group 24 deep cycle for exactly what was described above. I have the little 700 but I believe it's a worthy upgrade if you have a winch and I plan to run lights at camp off the larger battery...enough with the broken Coleman mantles. Still playing with the idea of an inverter and if I do put one in it would run off the deep cycle too. Also considering a "jumping point" so I can use cables to jump others that may need some help without needing to pull the seat to access the battery. Big hole under the hood gets my heater when it arrives...apparently Santa is delaying some deliveries or the China bug has restricted activities in Seattle.

I think I paid +/- $80 at Auto Zone and I think I have less than $175 in the whole project thanks to left over parts and pieces. The battery certainly could just sit in there with charging taking place when you get home or other 110 volt source. We'll see if it was worthwhile after a couple trips.

group 31s is what i was thinking. yeah that sounds about what i would do if i was using the machine for trail riding and camping.
and yeah deep water i suppose makes sense. ive been headlight deep more than i should be. i mean ive never been in more than 5" of water.

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like you need a life jacket too!! I'm originally from Florida and my first 4 wheeler was a CJ5... never could teach it to swim.

I got my battery installed but not wired this evening...Maybe in the morning.

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
when it rains the ditches get real full and i know how deep they are but you know you just gotta test it sometimes. get a little butt pucker when the current starts moving you off course

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wired and 14.3 volts to both batteries.
Isolator

advertisement
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks Lloyd!!
I'm going to add an outlet to attach a trickle charger and also a point to hook jumper cables without removing the seat. I ran out of connections...#1 son apparently needed them more that I did.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got a couple of them things and they do work but it's not for me...it's for them without one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!