P700 4WD linkage question, confused.

T

Theskater101388

Sep 4, 2021
US
Ownership

1. 700-4
So underneath my 2017 pioneer where the 4wd cable runs to into the front diff, it connects to an arm that has a black plastic cover over it. The arm pulls up to go into 4wd and drops down when you put it in 2wd. Mine is having an issue with dropping back down to 2wd completely. I’ll be in 4wd and put it in 2wd, and the arm will drop down but won’t go down the last like 2mm and it won’t disengage 4wd. It just doesn’t do it on its own and we can’t figure out why. We ended up rigging a spring (also nut as a spacer because the spring was a little short) onto the cable/linkage to push the arm down positively because it just needed that extra help. Am I crazy for thinking that there should already be a spring on it to do this. It almost looks like one would actually go there. Anyone have experience with this that can shed some light on this because I’m sorta baffled lol.
Oh and the cable tension isn’t the issue. It was adjusted to where it would offer no resistance/restriction of the arm movement in order to eliminate an adjustment/tension issue.
Pic of the setup attached

3B38D7FC AFAB 4D26 8AD9 B7DD17407DA3

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
So underneath where the 4wd cable runs to into the front diff, it connects to an arm that has a black plastic cover over it. The arm pulls up to go into 4wd and drops down when you put it in 2wd. Mine is having an issue with dropping back down to 2wd completely. I’ll be in 4wd and put it in 2wd, and the arm will drop down but won’t go down the last like 2mm and it won’t disengage 4wd. It just doesn’t do it on its own and we can’t figure out why. We ended up rigging a spring (also nut as a spacer because the spring was a little short) onto the cable/linkage to push the arm down positively because it just needed that extra help. Am I crazy for thinking that there should already be a spring on it to do this. It almost looks like one would actually go there. Anyone have experience with this that can shed some light on this because I’m sorta baffled lol.
Oh and the cable tension isn’t the issue. It was adjusted to where it would offer no resistance/restriction of the arm movement in order to eliminate an adjustment/tension issue.
Pic of the setup attached

View attachment 296881
probably getting time for a cable if older oryou need to lube it. if i remember right the spring is up top on the shifter assembly. so if thatspring is weak or the cable is starting to hold in the cable sleeve that would give you your problems. is there any slack in your shifter up top? like havig any problems staying in the 2wd or 4wd on its own?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

T

Theskater101388

Sep 4, 2021
US
Ownership

1. 700-4
probably getting time for a cable if older oryou need to lube it. if i remember right the spring is up top on the shifter assembly. so if thatspring is weak or the cable is starting to hold in the cable sleeve that would give you your problems. is there any slack in your shifter up top? like havig any problems staying in the 2wd or 4wd on its own?

Lubed the cable up and also adjusted it so that it put no tension/resistance on the arm, basically eliminating the cable from the equation altogether. It seems like in order for the arm to shift into 4wd it has to be pulled up by the cable (obviously), but to drop it back down into 2wd position the arm just kinda falls down by itself under spring pressure from something inside the diff when you take that tension off the cable. Idk it’s tough to explain and understand unless you’ve messed with it.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lubed the cable up and also adjusted it so that it put no tension/resistance on the arm, basically eliminating the cable from the equation altogether. It seems like in order for the arm to shift into 4wd it has to be pulled up by the cable (obviously), but to drop it back down into 2wd position the arm just kinda falls down by itself under spring pressure from something inside the diff when you take that tension off the cable. Idk it’s tough to explain and understand unless you’ve messed with it.
its acting like its mudded up but completely clean. have you checked your front driveshaft for slack in the pinion bearing?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
depending on how long its been doing it. it could be off. if its showing 4wd light thats means the arm inside is shifted the sleeve to that point. so its kinda like it isnt adjusted right. its just a slide sleeve inside that shifts it to 4wd. no spring.

T

Theskater101388

Sep 4, 2021
US
Ownership

1. 700-4
depending on how long its been doing it. it could be off. if its showing 4wd light thats means the arm inside is shifted the sleeve to that point. so its kinda like it isnt adjusted right. its just a slide sleeve inside that shifts it to 4wd. no spring.

It just happened out of nowhere one day a few weeks ago and been like that until my fix. It showed 4wd light on when in 4wd, and then when I shifted to 2wd the light would stay on because the arm didn’t drop fully back down for 2wd (and it was actually still engaged in 4wd). Then when I go under there and pull the arm down that last 1/8” it’ll go to 2wd and also the 4wd light will out and everything will be normal. How exactly would you go about adjusting the sleeve inside?? You have to take apart the whole diff I assume?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
It just happened out of nowhere one day a few weeks ago and been like that until my fix. It showed 4wd light on when in 4wd, and then when I shifted to 2wd the light would stay on because the arm didn’t drop fully back down for 2wd (and it was actually still engaged in 4wd). Then when I go under there and pull the arm down that last 1/8” it’ll go to 2wd and also the 4wd light will out and everything will be normal. How exactly would you go about adjusting the sleeve inside?? You have to take apart the whole diff I assume?
you dont its all outside adjustments. iv been looking at the diagram. im guess you adjusted it to the end? and its still doin it?. if so you might try pulling it off and rotating 1 tooth then readjust. kinda like adjusting the height on an old footshift machine

T

Theskater101388

Sep 4, 2021
US
Ownership

1. 700-4
you dont its all outside adjustments. iv been looking at the diagram. im guess you adjusted it to the end? and its still doin it?. if so you might try pulling it off and rotating 1 tooth then readjust. kinda like adjusting the height on an old footshift machine

Rotating the arm (if even possible because there’s no nut that looks like it can even be take off to pull the arm off anyway) wouldn’t do anything because the arm would just be in a different position and still stay hung up the last 1/8”. There’s no positive force pushing it back down to where it needs to go for 2wd besides for something internal in the diff. The spring you see in the pic is what I personally installed to remedy the issue and help push that arm down when relieving tension from the cable when you put back into 2wd.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Rotating the arm (if even possible because there’s no nut that looks like it can even be take off to pull the arm off anyway) wouldn’t do anything because the arm would just be in a different position and still stay hung up the last 1/8”. There’s no positive force pushing it back down to where it needs to go for 2wd besides for something internal in the diff. The spring you see in the pic is what I personally installed to remedy the issue and help push that arm down when relieving tension from the cable when you put back into 2wd.
i was lookin at the wrong thing. 13 and 14. would be what youd need to look at. 2015 Honda Pioneer 700 (SXS700M2 AC) FRONT FINAL GEAR | Babbitts Honda Partshouse

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
There is an internal return spring.
No.13 in the image:
Screenshot 20211114 205658

From the looks of your picture the cable looks like it is adjusted correctly if the lever arm is in the fully disengaged position (2WD).
The little cable end thing is suposed to have a little gap to the end of the slot like it shows.

It seams unlikely the spring is broken and I have never heard of them slipping off (but there is always a first time).
I would recomend cleaning around the shaft where it goes in to the case, it could have dirt built up around the seal.
Use an aerosols brake cleaner and clean it from multiple angles.

If that dosent work your going inside...

Reactions: Smitty335
T

Theskater101388

Sep 4, 2021
US
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah not really trying to tear into it at the moment so for now we put that dark greenish spring in there to do the job of a return spring and has been working so far. We cleaned the heck out of the shaft multiple times and it didn’t help. Seems like the internal return spring you mentioned could very well be the issue. We will have to tear into it at some point, and at least now we will now know what to look at! Thanks!

J

Jssilvo

Nov 6, 2022
GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I’m having the exact same issue on my 2017 700-4. Thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!