700 Pioneer won't start unless in gear with brake depressed./

S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
My Pioneer won't turn over in neutral. If I depress the brake in neutral it will turn over but won't start. If I put it in gear and depress the brake it will start immediately. Any suggestions on my problem.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My Pioneer won't turn over in neutral. If I depress the brake in neutral it will turn over but won't start. If I put it in gear and depress the brake it will start immediately. Any suggestions on my problem.
Is the neutral displaying on the dash?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can you give me an idea where that switch is located
On the rear of the engine, just to the right of the shift lever. It's round with 2 bolts and 3 wires.
Are any of the gears showing (D/R)? Does the shifter feel "normal"?

Last edited:
S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
On the rear of the engine, just to the right of the shift lever. It's round with 2 bolts and 3 wires.
Are any of the gears showing (D/R)?
Yes I'm getting D and R no N. Also showing 4 wd but not dif lock

S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
I found the cable. sprayed contact cleaner on both ends but didn't help. I will order a new cable and see if that works I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I found the cable. sprayed contact cleaner on both ends but didn't help. I will order a new cable and see if that works I really appreciate your help. Thanks
Wait a minute...I thought you were looking for the gear position sensor?
If D/R are showing, that suggests the cable is fine. The 2/4wd/diff lock are unrelated to this.

Last edited:
S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
Wait a minute...I thought you were looking for the gear position sensor?
If D/R are showing, that suggests the cable is fine. The 2/4wd/diff lock are unrelated to this.
So you think it might be adjustment.

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So you think it might be adjustment.
Are the D/R appearing in the "normal" slots in the shift gate? Even if it was slightly out of adjustment, you should be able to slowly ease the lever up and down a bit and get N somewhere in there.

S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
Are the D/R appearing in the "normal" slots in the shift gate? Even if it was slightly out of adjustment, you should be able to slowly ease the lever up and down a bit and get N somewhere in there.
Yes the D and R appear normally. Tried moving slowly up and down but still no neutral. It's strange that when it is in neutral with the brake depressed it will turn over normally but will not start. As soon as I put it in forward or reverse it starts.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes the D and R appear normally. Tried moving slowly up and down but still no neutral. It's strange that when it is in neutral with the brake depressed it will turn over normally but will not start. As soon as I put it in forward or reverse it starts.
Check out the wiring. It goes over to a plug on the right above the grounds, IIRC.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!