A bit off topic but just an observation

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just returned from 7 days in South Dakota Sturgis motorcycle rally and while there I was intent on finding some Pioneer 1000's to take a peak at since I have never really seen one in person. I didn't stop in the one store in Rapid City but I was seeing lot's and lot's of Side by Side's each day. But I only saw one Honda SxS the whole time, most where Polaris by a huge margin followed by Can Am then some I've never heard of...... In fairness it was a motorcycle rally. I understand the Black Hills and surrounding areas are have great off road riding.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just returned from 7 days in South Dakota Sturgis motorcycle rally and while there I was intent on finding some Pioneer 1000's to take a peak at since I have never really seen one in person. I didn't stop in the one store in Rapid City but I was seeing lot's and lot's of Side by Side's each day. But I only saw one Honda SxS the whole time, most where Polaris by a huge margin followed by Can Am then some I've never heard of...... In fairness it was a motorcycle rally. I understand the Black Hills and surrounding areas are have great off road riding.
The pioneers hide in the woods. The talons are jumping in the hills. Everything else is found near the street :p

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Were the Poo Poo’s you seen around bonfire?
and the Canned Ham’s around the supermarket?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
When I picked up my 2018 P1k5 nobody around me had one. It was almost another year till I saw another like it out and about.

I have yet to see a Talon out and about, but there are 10-15 P1k5s I see in my area out and about. Most are former Ranger owners like me.

Honda is still way, way out sold compared to others.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
you will see 9 rzrs before you see 3 can ams and 6 can ams before you see a talon. time on the market is the biggest factor. iv always been a 1 off guy

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Poo Poo has 41% of the market IIRC, Honda has 6%(?). Now that the Japanese have entered the sport market, Poo Poo has some competition coming.
They are going to have to step up their game. I like my Honda, but Polaris fit and finish is hands down better. The ergonomics and suspensions are also better, which results in a more comfortable machine. Polaris has also engineered their machines to be plug and play when it comes to various options (Yamaha has done this too on the RMAX), and you can opt for a climate controlled ride as well. In all actuality, IMO, the only advantage of owning a Honda is the transmission, which is a big one, but does not necessarily offset the comfort and design features Polaris offers. Am I going to sell my Honda and buy a Polaris? Not yet.

GROR

GROR

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 15, 2021
Castle Dale, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently, like Tuesday I was at my dealer getting the dreaded 100 mile service... 4hr worth. Talking to the service rep he told me just how hard it is to get any new machine and getting into service was just as bad. Bored, I walked out in the lot wear all the side by sides that were getting worked on were resting awaiting parts, I seen over 100 Polaris's several Can Am's and one Honda getting a windshield installed. I mentioned this to the rep, and he stated that if they didn't service and sell Polaris's they wouldn't be able to employee so many mechanics.

Now I don't get into taking corners at 60 mph, jumping or mud bogging (hell I live in Utah water is scares) but I do Care about reliability. Its all Fun and Games until the Rubber Breaks.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Hardley-Ablesome ruled the motorcycle business in the US until Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, and BMWs showed up in the '70s. Now Hardley-Ablesom is struggling to stay afloat. HD simply cannot compete with modern motorcycles except with the Sunday afternoon pirate suit squads. Their last new products were developed so long ago no one can remember.

The same will happen with the snowmobile makers unless they develop new models with transmissions.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Recently, like Tuesday I was at my dealer getting the dreaded 100 mile service... 4hr worth. Talking to the service rep he told me just how hard it is to get any new machine and getting into service was just as bad. Bored, I walked out in the lot wear all the side by sides that were getting worked on were resting awaiting parts, I seen over 100 Polaris's several Can Am's and one Honda getting a windshield installed. I mentioned this to the rep, and he stated that if they didn't service and sell Polaris's they wouldn't be able to employee so many mechanics.

Now I don't get into taking corners at 60 mph, jumping or mud bogging (hell I live in Utah water is scares) but I do Care about reliability. Its all Fun and Games until the Rubber Breaks.
Polaris has something like 45% of the market to Honda’s 9% I think I last saw. It would make sense that unless you’re at a Honda power house dealer, you’re going to see much more Polaris’s in line….

Reactions: Remington
advertisement
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back on Sunday from the Rally. Was out a little over a month ago riding the Pioneer and there were literally hundreds of SXS's on the trails but the Rally pretty much owns the Hills for the 10 days that it runs. Way to much motorcycle traffic on roads and no where to stay as rooms are all rented out so not much for atv/sxs activity. With that said Honda's are outnumbered around this part of the country at least (guessing) 30 or 40 to 1.

Reactions: CID and boOkerT
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh and as far as Harley's...gotta ride one to "get it" I guess. I love mine...owned Honda and Kawasaki's as well. Honda makes a helluva touring bike no doubt but I and many others that ride Harleys do so as we feel that it is a representation of Freedom and Americanism. Plus they got the look baby...and the sound...they are also far more reliable than in the past...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!