P500 Accessories/Deer Hauler

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Sold a few of my boat props to buy some accessories. Another bad hobby of mine "boats". I am going to get the moose rack because I think the Honda rack adds to much height. I only clear my shop door by 3". Second, has anyone made a deer hauler for this P5. I want to build a wooden back rack/storage box with drawers. kinda fine tune it with wood before I make a custom metal box. My only concern is hauling a deer out. I thought about getting one of those 250lb cargo racks that plug into the receiver hitch has anyone done anything like this before. Thanks in advance guys.

kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I haven't hauled a deer out yet, but i have pulled a trailer much heavier than 250lb. So i think you would be fine with the cargo rack. I thinking about purchasing the same rack.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't hauled a deer out yet, but i have pulled a trailer much heavier than 250lb. So i think you would be fine with the cargo rack. I thinking about purchasing the same rack.

I saw this rack in academy the other day I have private land but it's bordered by thousand of acres of public that I hunt to so I thought about being able to put this rack on and go.

Reactions: Jshell3
kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I think that is a good idea. It is also low to the ground where one man can drag a deer on it with out much trouble.

J

Jshell3

Sold a few of my boat props to buy some accessories. Another bad hobby of mine "boats". I am going to get the moose rack because I think the Honda rack adds to much height. I only clear my shop door by 3". Second, has anyone made a deer hauler for this P5. I want to build a wooden back rack/storage box with drawers. kinda fine tune it with wood before I make a custom metal box. My only concern is hauling a deer out. I thought about getting one of those 250lb cargo racks that plug into the receiver hitch has anyone done anything like this before. Thanks in advance guys.
I use a Sled (<--click for link... I'm getting better!) for the gut bucket... mainly because I can control which terrain to drive on between the skinning rack and the gut pile... probably wouldn't work for a trip out of the woods w/ a fresh harvest... although, my Dad has completely stopped trying to move them or pick them up... he just ties a rope around their antlers/head and drags them w/ his bike... no matter how far.
But this sled is really tough... Not "drag it down a gravel road for miles loaded out @ 200#'s" tough... but for the money, hard to beat. And low to the ground. Just wish it would snow! HA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Chuck this is exactly what I'm looking to do!! Gosh bring on October!!!!!!

advertisement
ChuckIII

ChuckIII

Jul 25, 2015
Off Craigslist 40 bucks. Sorry man

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

No signs of bending the receiver? Cool idea I'd be worried about that and dragging it through a ditch. Perhaps a couple cable supports from the rear rack or frame vertical rails might assist? Even a couple ratchet straps? It is a bit awkward to lift a whole deer onto the rear rack, when by oneself...

j

ChuckIII

ChuckIII

Jul 25, 2015
It did rub a few times but nothing major.. I have the type that the receiver bends upward. I stand on it with no problems, I would like to think the rack would bend before the frame.... I have the 1/4 rack I didn't size up to the 2 in .

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
It did rub a few times but nothing major.. I have the type that the receiver bends upward. I stand on it with no problems, I would like to think the rack would bend before the frame.... I have the 1/4 rack I didn't size up to the 2 in .

Good to know ChuckIII, the bro in law and I wrestled a nice 3 point (ok..ok..6 point in US count heh heh), mule deer in the fall of 2014 onto P5. Was a PITA and could see where a rack like yours would be really handy. Thanks for sharing, nice Buck too.

j

Reactions: trigger
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Look at Harbor Freight. I have this one and it works great. 300 lb. Capacity ATV Cargo Carrier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was looking at the same rack a while back. Where I hunt it would drag all the time. I was thinking about hinging the rack on the angle piece that connects the receiver piece to the rack. Then, when I go through a wash or creek it would hinge itself up and not get caught up. If I have time this year before season I will do the mod on the rack and post pics.

Reactions: trigger and JCart
kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
That sound interesting i would like to see the results cthack

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I think a tarp to wrap the deer in would be a good idea too. There are times I drive though a cow pasture and those in rut bucks are stinky enough as it is.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!