P1000 Adding accessories

Rtcole

Rtcole

Feb 16, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I just got my ride and am looking at adding a few things to it. I will be adding the plug and play light bar as well as the rear lights that are plug and play as well, both of which i plan to buy from the store. I already have a winch tied into my main battery and the two above accessories will also be on the main battery. Am I creating a problem for my main battery that will creat issues with my clutches? Should i add a second battery?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Hey welcome to the site!

most go with a isolated dual batt setup inorder to avoid being stranded but it’s not mandatory.

If you ever want to start using your winch for plowing, adding heater etc, it’s best to do so.

if you only plan on using the winch 1 or 2 times a year…probably not necessary, just be careful on the main batt, it’s not terribly big.

Rtcole

Rtcole

Feb 16, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I hope i never have to use the winch but you never know. Will the plug and play lights pull the battery down to where it would cause a problem? Can you change the main battery out to a larger one? Second question is whether or not i should add a mastery tender to my list of things i need for the ride? Also i was wondering how big of a tire can i go to using factory rims and no lift? Thanks

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check and see what others are doing, but I use my OEM battery to start and ensure there's plenty of juice to support the proper function of the transmission.

I have my accessories powered by the auxillary battery. And, use as TRUE Battery isolator.

Instead of s trickle charger, I chose to use a Victron Blue smart charger.

Good luck with your new venture

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope i never have to use the winch but you never know. Will the plug and play lights pull the battery down to where it would cause a problem? Can you change the main battery out to a larger one? Second question is whether or not i should add a mastery tender to my list of things i need for the ride? Also i was wondering how big of a tire can i go to using factory rims and no lift? Thanks
The lights won't "pull the battery down" if the engine is running. If it's not, then depending on the size of the LED light bar (my Nilight draws 16 amps and would discharge the battery in probably half an hour or less). Note that most small Pb batteries are amp hour rated over 20 hours or so (so drawing 1 amp for 20 hours would be a 20 amp hour battery. This is much easier on a battery than say drawing 20 amps for an hour! Note too, for longest battery life (talking lead acids), it's best not to discharge them below 80% (probably an unreasonable bar if winching much). And most consider, again for battery health, not to discharge them below 50%. With that in mind, you can probably see why it might be a good idea to have an aux battery too. It does give you a level of redundancy that's nice to have.

Rtcole

Rtcole

Feb 16, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I am considering the light bar and rear lights that are sold by the club. Has anyone bought them and if so do you know how many amps they pull?

Rtcole

Rtcole

Feb 16, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Wow at that load for the lights which will be on only when the engine is running and a winch all on the main battery i would be safe at the present time not to add the dual battery set up?

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow at that load for the lights which will be on only when the engine is running and a winch all on the main battery i would be safe at the present time not to add the dual battery set up?
Yes and no, that depends. :). Lets say you are in a position that you need to winch out of, and for whatever reason, you can't run the engine while winching. When you're done, will the battery have enough energy to start?

A second battery gives some redundancy and "pad", but there are other ways you might consider. You can get a lithium battery jump starter that'll get you started. You might have to wait a bit after starting to get the main battery high enough to work trans and systems, but it's better than being stuck with a dead battery.

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You're perfectly fine with just one battery as long as you avoid extended periods of high amp use while they machine is not started (as @bumperm noted above). Start adding more farkles and the need to go dual/isolator increases.

Reactions: Lady01
A

allanteman

Jan 11, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the rear single light hang down low in the way? Looks like the two ones spaced out are tucked up there better out of the way. Would hate to hook one when taking something out of the bed.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!