P500 Adding whinch and plow mount on a pioneer 520

B

Benny8838

Dec 19, 2021
Mexico mo
Ownership

1. 520
I am ordering winch mounts and Warn Provantage plow with all the mounting hardware. In what order should I assemble all of it. I am putting it on a pioneer 520. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reactions: Dave75 and TxDoc
49north

49north

Jan 9, 2021
Daisy WA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I would put the winch mounting plate on first and then assemble the machine specific mount, then the winch and then the plow and plow mount. The winch needs to be moved for easier installation of the machine specific plow mount. I would use wire rope and avoid the synthetic rope. I broke my rope after about three hours of use and am now restranding the son of a gun. I should of went with the wire rope like I used on my rancher..

B

Benny8838

Dec 19, 2021
Mexico mo
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you. This is my first sxs.. I have always had atvs. I plan on doing as much of the work as I can. Again thanks

Reactions: Dave75 and 49north
49north

49north

Jan 9, 2021
Daisy WA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Your welcome. I have had good luck with the warn products and they really are simple to install. I found a youtube video on routing the cables for the winch on the passenger side with the other cables on top of the skid plate that made it very simple. Good wrencing! You will find the pioneer is just a big old honda atv in disguise..

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I would put the winch mounting plate on first and then assemble the machine specific mount, then the winch and then the plow and plow mount. The winch needs to be moved for easier installation of the machine specific plow mount. I would use wire rope and avoid the synthetic rope. I broke my rope after about three hours of use and am now restranding the son of a gun. I should of went with the wire rope like I used on my rancher..
I also broke a synthetic rope and went back to wire rope. My synthetic rope lasted about the same time as yours.

B

Benny8838

Dec 19, 2021
Mexico mo
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate any and all advice. Just want to do as much of the work myself.

Reactions: crewcabrob
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Snapping ropes has more to do with the Warn setup than it does the line IMO. They made it more complicated than it needed to be based on where they placed the winch. Connections and hardware down low in sh**y conditions means more points to fail. Mounting the winch up high keeps it stupid simple.
Six yrs plowing on a synthetic line and had to replace it once. Blame myself though for leaving the hawse fairlead on. But the knot I tied in it kept me going until the new one showed up.
Everyone's got their own thing though, happy plowing season. 🥶

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Snapping ropes has more to do with the Warn setup than it does the line IMO. They made it more complicated than it needed to be based on where they placed the winch. Connections and hardware down low in sh**y conditions means more points to fail. Mounting the winch up high keeps it stupid simple.
Six yrs plowing on a synthetic line and had to replace it once. Blame myself though for leaving the hawse fairlead on. But the knot I tied in it kept me going until the new one showed up.
What synthetic line are you using? I think my problem was the synthetic line I was using was for an ATV winch.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
The research I did a years back, mostly pointed to the extreme pull angles of synthetic leading to early breakage. That, and not having the wear sheath thingy on.
For plowing, best bet is to use a strap. Either make or buy one, old seatbelt and sew a hook on the end or something. Doesnt have to be super strong, or long, just 5-10 feet. The width of the strap is the key factor, by spreading out the contact area.

Ages back, I had a kinked steel line, switched to (admittedly, cheap) synth line, broke that after 2 plowing sessions, put on a strap and have been using the same plowing strap each winter for 6 years now.
Takes all of 10 minutes to swap lines once you get used to it, plus gives you an excuse to respool and wash the synthetic line at least once a year, lol. Mud and grit etc can lead to synth line breakage also.

I think I had found some cheap "2000lb tow strap" that had hooks on both ends for something like $8 or $12? Don't remember exactly. Looks exactly like a seatbelt strap though. Cut it in half, and now I have a spare someplace in the garage.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What synthetic line are you using? I think my problem was the synthetic line I was using was for an ATV winch.

KFI. Ran the roller fairlead for a couple seasons and never had a problem. Switched to the hawse and snapped it mid season. Now I run the hawse for trail season and the roller for plowing.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I got 12 years out of the synthetic rope on my Honda Rancher with a Warn setup, but it was a smaller plow than you would run on a SXS.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to SxS ownership and this forum. Have you considered adding a wireless remote? Very handy for re-spooling the line neatly with a 100 foot range and you can velcro the key fob anywhere for easy reach when plowing. Just one of many examples. And if not already mentioned, tighten the reverse lever cable adjustment to eliminate the need to pull it for reverse.

476820D4 2769 48BA 924D F284D21D21CA

R

rongopackgo

Apr 26, 2022
Wayne, IL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. Other Brand

4. 520
Buying a Honda 2022 Pioneer 520 and want to get a winch and plow for northern climate here until we move. Do I have to buy the Honda OEM winch mount and plow tube connectors etc? Or can I go to KFI and buy their stuff for less?

Ron

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Buying a Honda 2022 Pioneer 520 and want to get a winch and plow for northern climate here until we move. Do I have to buy the Honda OEM winch mount and plow tube connectors etc? Or can I go to KFI and buy their stuff for less?

Ron

You don't have to go OEM. I have a full KFI system that I've been using for 6 yrs.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I bought the KFI mount that allows you to mount winch on top of bumper....The OEM Warn I believe mounts it on the bottom which isn't ideal setup.....Then I'm using a older Warn 3000 synthetic vantage winch that I bought new on Ebay for 180 bucks...the OEM stuff is terrible expensive....I'll have 220 bucks in my setup. goodluck

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Great. What size winch should I get? It has to be much less expensive right?

3500lb is recommended for the 500. I went with their top mount bracket as well, keeps everything up and out of the crap. Stealth 3500, 66" steel blade, plow mount, push tubes... the whole setup was around a grand. That was 6 yrs ago so who knows now. FJB

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I have to agree that the location of the winch (especially for snow blades) is important. I went with the Strongman front bumper since it puts the winch up top and out of the mud and muck. The winch up higher also makes it better for when you are using a snow blade in my opinion. I also highly suggest a flat strap for when you have to use the blade.

I have and use the synthetic rope that came with my winch and haven't had any issues. I do swap it out for the flal strap during the winter for blading snow.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!