P1000 Africa twin camshaft in Pioneer 1000

P

Pandre5

Jun 10, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone out there that has successfully installed the Africa twin camshaft in there Pioneer 1000. I have already speculated on it extensively. Now I'm looking for someone who has actually successfully done it.

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone out there that has successfully installed the Africa twin camshaft in there Pioneer 1000. I have already speculated on it extensively. Now I'm looking for someone who has actually successfully done it.
@snuffnwhisky will know if it works.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@snuffnwhisky will know if it works.

Beat me to it. go look at @snuffnwhisky build thread there’s more to it than just swapping the cam and you lose some low end but gain a ton of top end. I think he said there was a @25% increase in fuel at some points on the fuel map.

Reactions: sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You do need to change to the Africa valve springs with the cam. The timing chain is larger on the Africa but the crank gear is fixed to the crank on the pioneer. I'm running the stock chain and no noticeable stretch so far. The plastic throttle body adapter can be opened up also. It is necked down on the pioneer vs africa. You'll need a PCV and Autotune also. Another option is the Talon cam and springs. It is just a touch bigger than the Africa. The bigger cam does hurts bottom end pretty bad especially if your running big tires and don't have a gear reduction. IMO a small turbo would be better than the cam swap. I'm at 30% more fuel at 8k rpm and 13.1 AFR.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!