Air box HELP

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I couldn't agree more. The problem is that buying a new one is not an option. If you prove me wrong I'll pay double the oem price to buy it from you. The two pieces are around 120 bucks from Honda. Problem is Honda has had them on backorder for months with no end in sight.
I hate when Honda puts things on intergallactic back order.

It happens way more now than it used to.

Maybe look for used? Ebay?

Reactions: CID and TxDoc
JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @TxDoc and everyone else for the replies. Im going to try a combination of JB Plastic weld and using a plastic welder I'm going to buy from Harbor Freight. I'll plastic weld on the edges I can get to and glue where I have to. A mechanic in town has offered to re-epoxy the rivnuts in that pulled out. If anyone has experience with a good glue in a high heat environment please share what you used. If I am successful in fixing it I'll post pictures, steps, and products used. I'm going to use patience to try and repair, not to wait months on backorder for a new top airbox cover.

@CID I would try your idea on the bottom part of the airbox, but I'm not wanting to make holes in the top clean air side.
Standard JB Weld withstands heat pretty well. I’ve used it inside a Fox 35 model airplane engine to reduce the size of the intake passage, the engine heat and fuel never affected it. I’ve never used JB Plastic, but I wouldn’t doubt it has similar heat resistance.
Harbor Freight’s plastic welder works good. If you apply too much pressure to the heat shoe it will bend upward. Don’t worry, just bend it back the other way. Let the heat do the work.

Reactions: CID and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
When it comes to sealants and adhesives I know almost nothing. My head starts spinning when I walk in that aisle because there's to many options.
Man, isn't that the truth, you damn near have to be a chemist when shopping sealants. :oops: Any search engine like Google is your friend, I searched 'best high temperature rtv' and got this on the first page. Just pick a known manufacturer like Loctite and you'll be safe, this stuff has been perfected forever. Don't apply it to smooth plastic, scuff it up a bit for traction.

"When you need high heat resistance, red RTV is the ticket. Any high-heat application should get red RTV, including exhaust manifolds, drive housings, even oven doors. Ultimate Red from JB Weld is sensor safe, so it can be used on O2 sensors. Red RTV is good up to 650 degrees Fahrenheit."

I was surprised at the 650* rating, many epoxies are only good up to 200* and 5356 aluminum welding wire is only recommended up to 500*. :eek: All this was from searching for it. As a #oleguy, it really made my life easier when I started going right to 'search' when I have questions.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @TxDoc and everyone else for the replies. Im going to try a combination of JB Plastic weld and using a plastic welder I'm going to buy from Harbor Freight. I'll plastic weld on the edges I can get to and glue where I have to. A mechanic in town has offered to re-epoxy the rivnuts in that pulled out. If anyone has experience with a good glue in a high heat environment please share what you used. If I am successful in fixing it I'll post pictures, steps, and products used. I'm going to use patience to try and repair, not to wait months on backorder for a new top airbox cover.

@CID I would try your idea on the bottom part of the airbox, but I'm not wanting to make holes in the top clean air side.

Try 3M 5200. It is a permanent fix until you can get a new air box. I’ve used it on many things, mostly marine related, but never failed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Can you look for another air filter box and assembly that uses the same size intake?
I've thought about that. The talon one looks like it might work. I haven't found anything online that, says it would. If you got the hoses to work the next issue would be having it fit in the relatively tight soace.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I understand your concern but using copious amounts of high temp RTV will handle sealing the airbox around any new penetrations. Hell, that stuff has been holding the International Space Station together for decades.
It's like Frank's Red Hot, I put that sh!t on everything.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I finally got around to putting my airbox back together. I've been working on bits and pieces and did the final assembly last night.
20230922 091250

First step was to use jb plastic weld on the broken seam I couldn't use an actual plastic welder on.
20230922 091313

Above I used wire mesh to reinforce my plastic weld seam.
20231016 143816

Finally I had an automotive guy in town use a two part epoxy to reinstall the nutcerts

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully it seals, holds together and ultimately unbolts for future filter maintenance for ya! 🤞🏻

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!