Air box HELP

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I was servicing my 22 pioneer 1000-3 deluxe for the third time last night. I knew the air box bolts can be tricky and was taking my time and being cautious not to strip out the bolt head. It didn't matter. Stripped 2 out. I removed the entire air box and tried everything to remove it. Finally welded a bolt on the nut. Instead of unscrewing it just pulled the nut cert out. In the end, I have a ruined upper and lower air box. To make it worse, everyone I've called says they are on back order with multiple machines being down for months now waiting for these exact parts. If anyone has a lead on replacement parts or has some for sale please let me know. If there is an aftermarket option I'd be interested in that route also. Part numbers are 17220-HL4-A01. 17230-HL4-A01

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Dam that sucks!
Ive had them strip as well. Why I did was drill the head off of the ones striped then remove the box. After that, soak the bolt with penetrating oil then use vise grips to get the bolt out. I know your beyond this point but for next time.
Also would suggest a pre filter (snorkel) before your main air filter. This will save that filter and prevent u having to get in there much at all.

As for replacement, @HondaTech might have a solution for you.
If its that fubared, id drill out the insert and use a zip tie in those areas to make it tight for the time being till u get a new box.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I'll send pics and consider those options. Dirt on the clean air side would be worse than waiting. I operate on very dirty environments sand, silt mud, dry grass, harvest dust, etc.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll send pics and consider those options. Dirt on the clean air side would be worse than waiting. I operate on very dirty environments sand, silt mud, dry grass, harvest dust, etc.
Post some pics, most notably the sealing surfaces on both halves at the damaged area. And two more looking at the bolt head surface and the damaged nut insert surface.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Post some pics, most notably the sealing surfaces on both halves at the damaged area. And two more looking at the bolt head surface and the damaged nut insert surface.
20230915 113500
20230915 113455
20230915 113433
20230915 113429
20230915 113436

Sorry the images are not in order. The one that had the nut cert come out would be easy to fix. The one that had plastic break off the plastic lid is a big problem. I'm real mad about that lid breaking. I pulled slightly on the front and it just snapped. If someone isn't making an aftermarket replacement they should. Every parts site and dealer I called knew before looking I was SOL. They had the same answer, so and so has been looking for six months theirs melted, stripped a bolt...

20230915 113508 20230915 113444

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
If your reading this thread and want to avoid this, go take your cover off and never seize the crap out of those bolts. I just went to the best mechanic in town, hall of his snap on extractors failed on the remaining bolt. He says the stainless steel bolts grab horrible and can only be prevented with never seize

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
A temporary fix to keep you riding until parts get here, if they ever do. Cut off the broken boss flush, add 90* bracket. Pay attention to getting the rivnut close enough to the box to match the original hole, it looks like that will be the challenge.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If your reading this thread and want to avoid this, go take your cover off and never seize the crap out of those bolts. I just went to the best mechanic in town, hall of his snap on extractors failed on the remaining bolt. He says the stainless steel bolts grab horrible and can only be prevented with never seize
I forgot to tell you that as well

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NEfarm_ranch

You getting good help, already. Just wanted you to know myself, and others who read this, are sending you positive thoughts and wishes for patience and perseverance. You'll get this bested, it's just one of those things we know can happen and does and it's frustrating. But, it will work out, in the end, and your misfortune will help others who you will help prior to the same occurrence

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Thanks @TxDoc and everyone else for the replies. Im going to try a combination of JB Plastic weld and using a plastic welder I'm going to buy from Harbor Freight. I'll plastic weld on the edges I can get to and glue where I have to. A mechanic in town has offered to re-epoxy the rivnuts in that pulled out. If anyone has experience with a good glue in a high heat environment please share what you used. If I am successful in fixing it I'll post pictures, steps, and products used. I'm going to use patience to try and repair, not to wait months on backorder for a new top airbox cover.

@CID I would try your idea on the bottom part of the airbox, but I'm not wanting to make holes in the top clean air side.

Reactions: TripleB and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

@CID I would try your idea on the bottom part of the airbox, but I'm not wanting to make holes in the top clean air side.
I understand your concern but using copious amounts of high temp RTV will handle sealing the airbox around any new penetrations. Hell, that stuff has been holding the International Space Station together for decades.

Reactions: trigger and TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I wouldn't fool around, last thing you want is for that box to start sucking in dirt when you are out on the trail.

Buy a new one, use better hardware.

Reactions: TxDoc
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I wouldn't fool around, last thing you want is for that box to start sucking in dirt when you are out on the trail.

Buy a new one, use better hardware.
I couldn't agree more. The problem is that buying a new one is not an option. If you prove me wrong I'll pay double the oem price to buy it from you. The two pieces are around 120 bucks from Honda. Problem is Honda has had them on backorder for months with no end in sight.

• Sad
Reactions: Jerryg and CID
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I understand your concern but using copious amounts of high temp RTV will handle sealing the airbox around any new penetrations. Hell, that stuff has been holding the International Space Station together for decades.
I haven't heard of the high temp RTV. I might be getting some to put over the seams of my repair as extra insurance. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven't heard of the high temp RTV. I might be getting some to put over the seams of my repair as extra insurance. Thanks for the idea.
It's available everywhere, hanging with other sealants. Walmart (in automotive), auto parts, hardware stores, etc.

Reactions: TxDoc
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
It's available everywhere, hanging with other sealants. Walmart (in automotive), auto parts, hardware stores, etc.
When it comes to sealants and adhesives I know almost nothing. My head starts spinning when I walk in that aisle because there's to many options.

Reactions: CID and TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!