The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Trying to order a genuine Honda replacement air filter for the 520 and can't seem to find it online. Anyone got it handy?

Reactions: Backwoods
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
17254-HL5-E60

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Not really interested in a K&N, but Uni Filter offers one for the P500, which I assume is the same as the 520; NU-4134ST.

Anyone have any experience with these and know if that's the correct part number?

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Trying to order a genuine Honda replacement air filter for the 520 and can't seem to find it online. Anyone got it handy?
Green goat I'll bring you 2 free Honda air filters to Takeover. They are used but clean and in excellent shape. I was A clean air filter fanatic. If you want them

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Green goat I'll bring you 2 free Honda air filters to Takeover. They are used but clean and in excellent shape. I was A clean air filter fanatic. If you want them
Sure! I mean, if you're not going to use them and are giving them away. I ordered a Uni filter and will call my local dealer tomorrow to see if they have any genuine Honda replacements in stock. Just to make sure I have one. I didn't realize mine was as dirty as it was and started to clean it, but abandoned that job pretty quickly as it was rapidly turning into a mess.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
P520 came from the factory with Notoil on the air filter.
It's alcohol based and comes off easiest with hot water and detergent.
If you try a solvent (like gas but everybody knows not to use gas) it just makes a mess.

And, just to add to the confusion, the p500 comes from the factory with dino oil on the air filter (like what all us old guys think it should be).

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sure! I mean, if you're not going to use them and are giving them away. I ordered a Uni filter and will call my local dealer tomorrow to see if they have any genuine Honda replacements in stock. Just to make sure I have one. I didn't realize mine was abe theres dirty as it was and started to clean it, but abandoned that job pretty quickly as it was rapidly turning into a mess.
Mine are Honda filters. I'll be in RV spot 17 at RRB
I'll be there Thursday before noon.

Reactions: The Green Goat
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Not really interested in a K&N, but Uni Filter offers one for the P500, which I assume is the same as the 520; NU-4134ST.

Anyone have any experience with these and know if that's the correct part number?

It's the same one that fit on my 2011 Honda Rubicon, which is mostly the same size engine.
I'm about to go filter hunting tomorrow to see if I can find one myself. Did what I could on cleaning, but my filter now looks like a yellow/brown camo thing.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's also the same filter as a 700, I interchanged them all the time.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@The Green Goat the p520 air filter is not compatible with the p500/p700/half the ATVs ever made by honda.
The p500 uses an HN1 part number (it was originally designed for the TRX400ex sport quad).
The HN1 filter has a hole on the top and a matching peg on the flame guard, the peg fills the hole preventing a dust leak path.
The p520 air cleaner is almost identical, but the top dose not have the hole.

So, the HN1 (p500/p520 air filter) is identical in size, it will bolt right in to a p520.
The only issue is there is a hole in the top with nothing plugging it.
The part number @Hondasxs gave above is correct, 17254-HL5-E60.

If you go off the reservation and get an aftermarket filter your on your own.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
@The Green Goat the p520 air filter is not compatible with the p500/p700/half the ATVs ever made by honda.
The p500 uses an HN1 part number (it was originally designed for the TRX400ex sport quad).
The HN1 filter has a hole on the top and a matching peg on the flame guard, the peg fills the hole preventing a dust leak path.
The p520 air cleaner is almost identical, but the top dose not have the hole.

So, the HN1 (p500/p520 air filter) is identical in size, it will bolt right in to a p520.
The only issue is there is a hole in the top with nothing plugging it.
The part number @Hondasxs gave above is correct, 17254-HL5-E60.

If you go off the reservation and get an aftermarket filter your on your own.
Well, s***. Better cancel the order for the Uni Filter.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
In the mean time, all this talk about filters reminds me I should probably check mine befor I leave.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Green Goat - can't go wrong with a Uni filter. I've been running them for 25 years on all the ATV's I've ever owned. I do not know the Uni P/N, but if the intake hole in the filter box is the same diameter between the P500 and P520 your good. Uni filter does not run the spark arrestor inside of it, so no hole in the top.

Likewise, I find warm water and Dawn dish soap does the best at cleaning the foam air filters.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Yup warm water and Dawn dish soap seems to work well also super clean (iirc) in a purple spray bottle works wicked if really caked up with dust. So I have the unifilter but it came dry, what oil do you guys recommend? On my stock ones I’ve just used Honda semi synthetic engine oil, seems to trap all the keerap from getting in. Also was thinking about a pre-filter on end of my DIY snorkel (mid way up outside rear cab wall) any suggestions?

Reactions: trigger
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I ended up using some purple degreaser and dawn/hot water based on you guys recommendations. Worked like a champ; thing looks brand new. Uni Filter came in and fits perfect as well. So, I've got a backup now. I purchased a couple different aerosol filter oils. One is Uni filters brand along with their cleaner, but it has yet to arrive. So, I bought some PJ1 from a local dealer and sprayed down the stock filter. Seems tacky AF, which I suppose is the purpose.

Thanks for the help!

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Yep- use UNI's filter oil or the PJ-1 tacky air filter oil. That stuff does not let any dust through the filter!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!