P500 P500 air filter?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
My neighbor bought a used P500 and asked me where I get oil/air filter changes done. I said “my workshop” so he brought his 2017 over for me to show him how to change the oil and air filter.

When I removed his air filter, it had this metal piece inside the filter element. I’ve never seen my air filter have one.

Any idea what type of filter the service station that did the last service used? This isn’t in all Honda oem air filters?

Another question- do you assume it comes pre-oiled or what do you use/ spray on the air filter?

Dbfedb67b9bfc756ee24dc997639244a

769ea88d1ea163aca69e2b538927a36f

Sorry about the bad picture
Bb892202113f0968a957d837c2e50750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

That's the internal filter body, every Honda ATV, SXS and some dirtbikes have that. It acts as a backfire screen and keeps the filter from collapsing with vacuum.

If your filter doesn't have that then your machine is missing it or your not running a oem filter that includes some form of internal support, like UNI.

You don't do anything to this part, just insert it back into thr air filter after servicing.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks. I’ve done all the servicing on my P5 since the 100 mile dealer service and never saw it inside my air filter when replacing the foam outer portion- if I had I’d certainly have reused it.

Is this the Honda part number 17211-HP0-A00?

What about oiling the foam filter? What do you use?

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Most foam air filter come dry, you need to clean and oil it before installation.
There are spray air filter oils on the market, I usually soak mine in cheap 10w30 then squeeze out the excess, you want it saturated but not so wet that air can't flow through.

H

HondaTech

Thanks. I’ve done all the servicing on my P5 since the 100 mile dealer service and never saw it inside my air filter when replacing the foam outer portion- if I had I’d certainly have reused it.

Is this the Honda part number 17211-HP0-A00?

What about oiling the foam filter? What do you use?

Well if it wasn't in your air filter after the first service then some dumb f*** at your dealer left it out.

If your running a stock air filter, then it needs to be there.

We use Maxima foam filter cleaner/oil in an aerosol can. But any foam filter oil will work, we use the spray stuff because it's faster and less messy. But it's really good, sticky stuff. The cleaner can be much at times, older filters can fall apart using it.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Well if it wasn't in your air filter after the first service then some dumb f*** at your dealer left it out.

If your running a stock air filter, then it needs to be there.

We use Maxima foam filter cleaner/oil in an aerosol can. But any foam filter oil will work, we use the spray stuff because it's faster and less messy. But it's really good, sticky stuff. The cleaner can be much at times, older filters can fall apart using it.

I stopped at the dealer. Hard to win argument they f’d up 5 years ago. I had to order a new metal part for $16.

Honda oe filters come pre-oiled, no need to rub in oil myself.

Thanks folks for the technical assistance!

H

HondaTech

Do you use special oil or could I use the Honda GN4 oil?

If anybody ever needs it, the air cleaner body part number is:

17211-HP0-A0

They make specific oil for foam air filters

Engine oil just ends up in the bottom of the airbox

• Haha
Reactions: Mudder and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
They make specific oil for foam air filters

Engine oil just ends up in the bottom of the airbox
Ummm....OK, I've never seen that happen but I suppose it's possible if someone put it in dripping wet.

Reactions: Mudder
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Like I said, I use the green Honda stuff with the Honda cleaner. The green stuff is water based and really sticky. The cleaner does a good job of breaking up the green stuff and makes it easy to clean.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
So I'm making a few assumptions here.
The OP said "P500".
I assume the filter foam was yellow.
From the factory the P500 has oil - as in dino oil on the filter.
Replace with dino oil or the spray can high tack stuff made for foam filters.
If you purchase a new OEM filter (good luck not getting a knock off) they come pre oiled but add oil to it.

The P520 - the one with a bed - has a dark grey foam filter.
From the factory this filter has the special honda foam filter "oil" on it.
This stuff is the Notoil stuff that was never a dino (I think it's alcohol based).

The two types of foam filter oil are not compatible.
If you switch from on to the other you need to wash the filter meticulously.
If the two oil types are mixed you will have useless glop that will block air flow.

H

HondaTech

The OP said "P500".
If you purchase a new OEM filter (good luck not getting a knock off) they come pre oiled but add oil to it.

This stuff is the Notoil stuff that was never a dino (I think it's alcohol based).

If the two oil types are mixed you will have useless glop that will block air flow.

Purchase from a good dealer and you won't get a knock off.😁

The Alcohol in the NoToil oil is just their to keep it liquid until applied then it evaporates and makes it sticky and adhere to the foam.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The OP said "P500".

Dawn to the rescue.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
It’s the yellow air filter in a ‘17 Pioneer 500. When I bought 2 at the Bozeman Honda dealer yesterday they said their service dept does not add oil to the oe air filters here in Montana.

Thanks again for comments.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
The new piece cane from amazon. My initial thought was to put it in right away.

Then I realized I haven’t had one for almost 5 years and it runs perfectly. I think I’ll wait until the wrench appears on the display and I do the next service.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The new piece cane from amazon. My initial thought was to put it in right away.

Then I realized I haven’t had one for almost 5 years and it runs perfectly. I think I’ll wait until the wrench appears on the display and I do the next service.

I'd go ahead and put it in. I can see suction from the intake collapsing the filter enough to damage or stress it. But...the main reason is You'll also note that little peg on the backfire screen? That sticks in the filter, and without it, you essentially have a 10mm hole in the filter for dust or anything to come through.

The thing to do is get another OEM filter and keep it ready to go. And you have to watch what you're buying on Amazon or eBay, as they try and sneak cheap china stuff through as OEM.
Even though they come with oil, new OEM filters still need more. Or a different brand:

Reactions: trigger and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!