P500 Hauling your P500

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I am currently using my 2007 Honda Odyssey and a 2019 Carry-on 6’x8’ single axle trailer to haul my P500. I get about 22 mpg just driving my van but when towing drop down to anywhere from 10–13 mpg. What is everyone else using and what kind of mileage are you getting both just driving and when hauling your buggy? Can a P500 fit in a 6 1/2’ bed with the tailgate down?
Your Odyssey isn’t going to last long towing. I blew the transmission on my Explorer towing my P500. You’re probably ok on short trips under 50 miles. Cross country trips need a real tow vehicle. On long trips the tow vehicle can’t be too big and the trailer too small.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're running your truck down to the light coming on, there's no doubt you're having DPF issues. You should always top off at no lower than 1/2 tank and if your vehicle has sat for 3 months or longer, drain the tank before driving. Running one low bakes the DEF Header, and not operating one much causes issues as the DEF fluid starts to crystalize and messes things up
Also, don't purchase DEF Fluid from someplace that probably doesn't sell much. It has a short shelf life. Large truck stop is best place to purchase at the pump
Yep. And Temps over 90 degrees reduce the shelf life tremendously. How many people leave the new jugs of def in the back of the truck and in the sun on a hot summer day

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Also, don't purchase DEF Fluid from someplace that probably doesn't sell much. It has a short shelf life. Large truck stop is best place to purchase at the pump
DEF @ the pump is so convenient. Had two truckstops @ the exit from I-94 that I get off at coming home. I always went to the big boy line and filled up the F350 PowerStroke and topped off the DEF @ the pump. I don't think I ever bought a jug of DEF ... ever.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you're running your truck down to the light coming on,
Yes and no. If your running it to 500miles left first light that comes on, that aint hurting a thing. Your getting rid of all old def. But not great practice. Fo sho, running down till limp mode ( last light warning) will entice the rest of you said

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
DEF @ the pump is so convenient. Had two truckstops @ the exit from I-94 that I get off at coming home. I always went to the big boy line and filled up the F350 PowerStroke and topped off the DEF @ the pump. I don't think I ever bought a jug of DEF ... ever.
Def at the pump is convenient fo sho!
But you have to watch how often its moved and u cant tell by the date at the pump cuz its not labeled. Where the big boys go is better.
I buy premium deff with an additive in the box, always check the dates on the box, helps keep the deposits down and u cant get that at the pump. My first ever issue with def I was going through Nox sensors every 35-40k build up from the std deff I was using at both the pump and box (peak) switched to premium deff and the fouling went way down. Started off with the premium in the new truck as well.

Hoosier1960

Hoosier1960

Lifetime Member
Jul 26, 2023
Indiana
Ownership

1. 500
If I recall correctly, you are a larger man? With some mobility issues? Loading and unloading a p500 from the bed of a truck might not be too kind on your body.

What kind of distances are you wanting to travel in the future? Your minivan and open trailer at 10-13 really isn't horrible in the scheme of things. If you want slightly better, remove the windshield & roof from the p500 before travelling.
Neohio,
I am indeed a larger guy and do have issues do to my cancer. Thinking more about it, loading it in the back of a pickup is probably a bad idea.
Ty

Hoosier1960

Hoosier1960

Lifetime Member
Jul 26, 2023
Indiana
Ownership

1. 500
The whole reason I started this discussion was because I had a conversation with a local friend that goes down to RBB all the time. He has a 2012 Ram with a Cummins diesel. He gets about 22 mpg empty or pulling his buggy trailer. It’s a whole different story if he pulls his toy hauler. There are quite a few Cummins diesels around here as that plant is about 10 minutes from my house. I live where Cummins engines were invented and the Cummins headquarters are.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The whole reason I started this discussion was because I had a conversation with a local friend that goes down to RBB all the time. He has a 2012 Ram with a Cummins diesel. He gets about 22 mpg empty or pulling his buggy trailer. It’s a whole different story if he pulls his toy hauler. There are quite a few Cummins diesels around here as that plant is about 10 minutes from my house. I live where Cummins engines were invented and the Cummins headquarters are.

Not to stir any pots but I can believe 22mpg empty but 22mpg towing is hard to imagine. I always recommend using a calculator with correct miles at every fill up to get a real representation of mpg. I do not trust the dashboard readouts.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I am currently using my 2007 Honda Odyssey and a 2019 Carry-on 6’x8’ single axle trailer to haul my P500. I get about 22 mpg just driving my van but when towing drop down to anywhere from 10–13 mpg. What is everyone else using and what kind of mileage are you getting both just driving and when hauling your buggy? Can a P500 fit in a 6 1/2’ bed with the tailgate down?
I'd love to get 22 mph even without towing.

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You would have to spend a lot of miles towing to offset the cost of a new or new to you diesel truck. I'd say keep running your Minivan until you start losing confidence in it.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Like mentioned before, I'd stick to what you have and make it work. Unless you're towing big loads frequently I wouldn't bother with a diesel.

Our family tow vehicle is an all wheel drive Durango with the little 3.6 and it averages 25 empty and 12 towing a 14' tandem loaded.....around 4500# plus passengers and gear inside.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Most of the time when the family heads for the cabin - I put the P5 on a 1960's steel and plywood snowmobile trailer (new axle, tires & LED lights) and hitch it behind the wife's 2015 Chrysler Town & Country. Owner's manual says it has a 1000lb. towing capacity, so I figure I'm over by 400lbs. Use the "sport" shifter to only let the trans go into 5th gear and away I go on a 300 mile round-trip. Been doing that for 5 years now - no issues with the van. But yeah, run empty on the highway and get 23 MPG - with the P5, trailer, van loaded and only up to 5th - about 13MPG.

But for the long hauls:
IMG 3402

This was on the way back from the MOXC race in Copemish, MI. Trailer = 6000lbs, machines on it = approx. 3150lbs, so let's say 9200lbs on the ball. Got 16 MPG.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Def at the pump is convenient fo sho!
But you have to watch how often its moved and u cant tell by the date at the pump cuz its not labeled. Where the big boys go is better.
I buy premium deff with an additive in the box, always check the dates on the box, helps keep the deposits down and u cant get that at the pump. My first ever issue with def I was going through Nox sensors every 35-40k build up from the std deff I was using at both the pump and box (peak) switched to premium deff and the fouling went way down. Started off with the premium in the new truck as well.
They are always pumping DEF @ the Pilot/FlyingJ @ Baker Rd & I94.

advertisement