P500 Air filters options?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Fellas, servicing Dozer and so far have ran the stock air filter set up, and snorkel with air pick up high up behind the cab sorta behind and above passenger head rest. Made a huge difference on servicing air filter over stock location. Have changed exhaust and nixed the cat and installed a straight through muffler. What are ya’ll using, just looking for suggestions and if there is something better then stock for better filtration and better breath-ability. Not complaining about stock filter it’s been great, just looking for options. Historically have ran K&N on my ATV with good results and a number of non forced induction engines. Forced induction like turbos different story though. Anyways looking for your insights.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Due for first cleaning of my K&N. I'll report what I find if I get to it this weekend. Some complaints about them causing motor issues has been mentioned here. Installed with snorkel kit.

Reactions: trigger
D

Duckhunt

I was running K&N but switched to UNI. K&N relies too much on the quality and amount of oil with the cotton element. Hormell's Xtreme ATV who makes/sells my big bore kit swears by UNI and will not recommend K&N for off-road. I know there are some experienced tech/riders on here who say don't run K&N's also.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running a K&N on mine. I have pantyhose on the snorkel tips and a pre-charger on the filter. Put an HMF exhaust on at the same time so can't say how much was gained just from the air filter but it definitely has flow.

Reactions: Duckhunt
D

Duckhunt

I'm running a K&N on mine. I have pantyhose on the snorkel tips and a pre-charger on the filter. Put an HMF exhaust on at the same time so can't say how much was gained just from the air filter but it definitely has flow.
That pre charger make a difference @trigger? That would have been a next step for me. UNI almost same price as the prefilter!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Have changed exhaust and nixed the cat and installed a straight through muffler.
Not that it matters, but just out of curiosity, is that legal in Canada?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I was running K&N but switched to UNI.
That seems to be quite the trend. Lot of MAF’s trashed by oils in K&N....🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Duckhunt
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Not that it matters, but just out of curiosity, is that legal in Canada?

Hey Montecresto, we don’t have testing stations here for that sort of thing. On the other hand we are Kalifornification of the North so ya probably not legal..... I know I feel dirty every time I fire it up, but it does seem to breath better and SoTP “feels” like there is more bottom to mid range. The notion is to install an programmer at some stage. Does run cooler too, that cat really traps the heat (like it’s supposed to), less leery of driving through grass and collecting grass seeds and needles now. Not so sure who ever would enforce cat/none cat would even recognize what’s goin on on my machine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!