P1000 any homemade winch mount welded to stock front bumper

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The aftermarket winch bumpers are slow coming all but the Strongmade and I don't care for the over the top idea but it attaches to the existing bumper so that has me thinking about adding a winch mount welded to the front of the stock bumper. That way it would be out front with EZ access to controls. Anyone out there done this or have any ideas why it would be a bad idea? Your thoughts please.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I would not attempt to weld anything onto the OEM bumper, if you are going to make a winch mount up high fabricate one and bolt it on. That would eliminate any weakening of the metal, nothing would be worse than being stuck and ripping off part of your bumper and winch because the metal gave way especially on a steep incline. Here is how the Strong Made bumper base / winch mount attaches the winch sans the big overlay piece, I think a standalone design for a winch mount would work ok here as well:

20160119 180926 20160119 181350 20160119 182054

Reactions: pct
blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
I would not attempt to weld anything onto the OEM bumper, if you are going to make a winch mount up high fabricate one and bolt it on. That would eliminate any weakening of the metal, nothing would be worse than being stuck and ripping off part of your bumper and winch because the metal gave way especially on a steep incline. Here is how the Strong Made bumper base / winch mount attaches the winch sans the big overlay piece, I think a standalone design for a winch mount would work ok here as well:

View attachment 9818 View attachment 9819 View attachment 9820
I think I'm going to try to have a front receiver fabbed up (not a welder myself). I want to go with a receiver mounted winch that I can swap from front to back if the situation requires a pull from the rear.

I saw this on a site from the SEMA show, but the manufacturer doesn't have it on their site yet. Regardless, having a mounting plate welded to a hitch would be pretty simple.

001 sema2 granatelli

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 9818 View attachment 9819 View attachment 9820

Thanks for your thoughts JACKEL and yes the Strongmade bumper is what gave me the thought but looking at the stock bumper the main strength pulling points are straight back from the winch hole, square tube back to the frame. By mounting up high on the bull bar with U bolts looks to me like the leverage might also pull the bumper off the machine. Before welding the bumper would be removed from the machine. I always thought welding was the best way to go but I better re-think this and talk to my welder. I will remove the bumper today and get a better look.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I'm going to try to have a front receiver fabbed up (not a welder myself). I want to go with a receiver mounted winch that I can swap from front to back if the situation requires a pull from the rear.

I saw this on a site from the SEMA show, but the manufacturer doesn't have it on their site yet. Regardless, having a mounting plate welded to a hitch would be pretty simple.

View attachment 9823

I like the idea of being able to use the winch on the front or the back. This type of set up would work in a straight pull but I would be very very carefull pulling off to the side because of the leverage factor. When I get stuck it is never a straight pull. If using this I would make up some turnbuckles one for each side to stabilize the mount. Thanks for the idea.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok got all the mount pieces cut and drilled today. Will remove bumper if I have time tomorrow and drill the holes and weld up the winch mount. Will be able to remove 10 bolts to take on or off. When I get it painted and installed will post a picture.

Reactions: pct
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone used their winch to drag their 1000 into enclosed trailer? Have 14 x 7 trailer, to tight to get out door, anyone used winch to get rig in and out of trailer? Any success with this? Other option is adding escape door on side. ??? Any ideas?

Last edited:
J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
I used a KFI winch mount to base the receiver from. I just stepped up with 2 pieces of 2" square tube to align with the original opening in the bash plate, which I had to open up so the receiver could protrude out beyond the bumper. I had a similar mount on my Teryx, and never had a problem regardless of the angle I had to pull from. It's nice to be able to pull from either end. Good luck with your setup, I hope I have been some help to you.

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md

View attachment 9823
this might be nice to mount tiger tail with? I don't like how tiger tail takes away from rear ground clearance I want up out of the way or better yet tucked in like a front winch but with exhaust not to easy to do

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here is what I made out of scrap in my shop. Should work until somebody comes out with a factory winch mount bumper.

View attachment 9877 View attachment 9878 View attachment 9879
im really sorry to necro post, but unfortunately i actually use the search function.

how did this hold up? was it temporary or have you kept it. if you did keep it how hard did you abuse it?

i have everything i need other than maybe a little bit of steel plate, and im trying to figure out how to make this work. im going to mount something similar to a tigertail on the front until i have enough for a real winch, but even after i have an electric winch i would like to try and have both of them on there, because steel cable isnt a good idea for shock loading, for many reasons.

that means that the load will never even be close to a 5000 lb winch, but the shock load is gonna be pretty high. i want this strong.

no, i wont buy synthetic. why? because im a no maintenance kind of guy. i wont clean it. i already know it. i have lots of rope to prove that.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
im really sorry to necro post, but unfortunately i actually use the search function.

how did this hold up? was it temporary or have you kept it. if you did keep it how hard did you abuse it?

i have everything i need other than maybe a little bit of steel plate, and im trying to figure out how to make this work. im going to mount something similar to a tigertail on the front until i have enough for a real winch, but even after i have an electric winch i would like to try and have both of them on there, because steel cable isnt a good idea for shock loading, for many reasons.

that means that the load will never even be close to a 5000 lb winch, but the shock load is gonna be pretty high. i want this strong.

no, i wont buy synthetic. why? because im a no maintenance kind of guy. i wont clean it. i already know it. i have lots of rope to prove that.

Hard pulls just a few times. snow plow lift this winter. no problems at all. Holding up fine. It is in my opinion way stronger than any type of tiger tail due to the side stress

Last edited:
J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
KFI says they now have a multi-mount front receiver completed but it must be ordered via phone as it is not yet "in the computer." I am away from home for a few weeks so have not yet ordered it. Hope this helps.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
IMG 6539 IMG 6540
A little curious as to the strength of this design! So far it's the only factory bumper ad on I have seen.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4

Hi ofrcboy I like the mount you made. I really dont like the idea of the winch being buried down low if there is an issue will be hard to deal with. My question is do you use a plow and how did the plow work with this setup?​

Phil

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I use a snow plow. I bought another fairlead and bolted to the bottom of my winch plate. That way my rope runs straight down to the plow mount and works very well.

20171205 100519

Reactions: mpilihp
advertisement