BOX1

P1000 any pros or cons on this radio setup.... boss...

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
76, too dang old to chase young winches - or was that wenches? Passed the married 52 year mark three days ago. As we were approaching 50, I told her she'd need to clean up her act some if she wanted an extension or renewal. That didn't go over exactly the way I thought it would. She refused to sign anything, so we've been on the week-to-week plan the last two years.

Our dog's getting old, she said this was gonna be our last dog when I suggested we get another one now. She said it's the dog or me . . . tough decision, she does cook good.

Boss . . . substandard? I just want a simple FM radio for background country music while piddling around, not so much when driving. Boss good for that??

Edit: Has anyone added speakers in the front doors? It may take a spacer for depth, but I can handle that.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Boss . . . substandard? I just want a simple FM radio for background country music while piddling around, not so much when driving. Boss good for that??

It's good enough for that but it is substandard. Just depends on what level of quality you're trying to achieve. I put in a set of theirs early on, never failed to work or anything but never sounded good either. It's like comparing an old tube TV to a 4K LED, you'll still see the picture but...

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a boss. like @trigger said, there good but depending on your use. I added a kicker sub and kicker amp to mine and the 6” boss wake speakers and have been pretty happy and impressed with it. I can crank it very loud and it still sounds good. Did this with the machine at idle at a party for 6 hrs once. Everyone loved the sound. Now just the stereo speakers no sub no amp! that wouldn't be achieved. Again, depending on what your trying to do. I changed my speakers in my TH with there premium 6”ers cuz of the price to try them out. They were mountains better than the stockers and im very pleased with the sound.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, thanks!

Machine at idle for 6 hours?!! You might consider a folding solar panel or two and a charge regulator to go with it. You could clip it to the battery/s or rig a charging socket.

I use two hundred watt folding panels bungee corded to the top of my Husky wing when I'm camping up in the Idaho "River of No Return" wilderness. Have enough power to charge everything and sell some to the utility company (if there was one!).

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol, never had a problem. its running off the secondary battery anyway. I have a Blue Seas low voltage cut out so it saves my battery. even from low voltage damage.
Blue Sea Systems m-LVD Low... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZOP53M?tag=sxsweb24-20
No prob . . . I just wouldn't want to rack up time with engine idling for 6 hours. For that sort of thing, solar, or solar plus battery, is a viable option. I have a 19 AH LiFePO4 sitting on the shelf that is amazingly light weight and, unlike a Pb battery, you can discharge it to near zero without damage.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No prob . . . I just wouldn't want to rack up time with engine idling for 6 hours. For that sort of thing, solar, or solar plus battery, is a viable option. I have a 19 AH LiFePO4 sitting on the shelf that is amazingly light weight and, unlike a Pb battery, you can discharge it to near zero without damage.
Right lol. No idling for 6hrs that would be crazy lol

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I have a boss. like @trigger said, there good but depending on your use. I added a kicker sub and kicker amp to mine and the 6” boss wake speakers and have been pretty happy and impressed with it. I can crank it very loud and it still sounds good. Did this with the machine at idle at a party for 6 hrs once. Everyone loved the sound. Now just the stereo speakers no sub no amp! that wouldn't be achieved. Again, depending on what your trying to do. I changed my speakers in my TH with there premium 6”ers cuz of the price to try them out. They were mountains better than the stockers and im very pleased with the sound.
Okay, thanks!

Machine at idle for 6 hours?!! You might consider a folding solar panel or two and a charge regulator to go with it. You could clip it to the battery/s or rig a charging socket.

I use two hundred watt folding panels bungee corded to the top of my Husky wing when I'm camping up in the Idaho "River of No Return" wilderness. Have enough power to charge everything and sell some to the utility company (if there was one!).
Lol, never had a problem. its running off the secondary battery anyway. I have a Blue Seas low voltage cut out so it saves my battery. even from low voltage damage.
Blue Sea Systems m-LVD Low... Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems m-LVD Low Voltage Disconnect : Sports & Outdoors
Right lol. No idling for 6hrs that would be crazy lol
Idle = sitting stlll / not running

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Idle = sitting stlll / not running
Not to belabor the point, but for common usage and semantics?

Do a quick search on <what does idle vehicle mean>.

Do the same for <parked vehicle mean>.

Sure, there's a bit of overlap, but for clarity, when applied to vehicles, these words have very different meanings according to the specific situation.

At the store, they don't call it an "idling lot". :)

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did this and it sounds pretty good without an amp. I'm using 2 Polk Marine 651 - 6.5 " speakers in wake cans, mounted to the rear roll bar.
I might throw an amp and 2 speakers up front later. Plenty loud and clear sound with just the rears.
No moisture issues but I think mine has small pin hole vents on the side of the lense covers. Or maybe I did that.. 6 months now, no issues.
View attachment 172715 View attachment 172716

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang Dude. You keep things in place. Pretty spify garage. Machine is spotless...😳

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!