BOX1

P1000 Any years to stay away from? Any common issues to watch out for?

J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a used Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. I'm thinking I should stay away from the 2016's since that was the first year and I know my brother has had a LOT of recalls.

Is there any year that is better than the others for any reason?
Any years I should stay away from?
Anything I should watch out for or have a dealer inspect prior to purchase?

Thinking about looking at a 2020 that was a rental and has 10,000 miles on it for $10,500. Rental companies are usually good at keeping up on the maintenance and I'm thinking if someone was looking for a machine to ride hard they would have rented the Talon instead.
OR....
Maybe I'd be better off finding something older with less miles???

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: TxDoc
H

HondaTech

Anything older than the a 2020 model is going to have all the recalls applied, 2020 models will only have the steering joint and parking collar recalls to worry about.

2017 to 2019 models had an ECM update for the cooling fan that isn't a "recall".

The only thing on 2016 and 2017 models to worry about is the clutch update, which is no longer available to have done for free (though you may get a dealer who can try and get it covered).

2016 and 2017 models had the older style air intake under the hood, Honda updated it mid production for the 2017 models. Not a deal breaker, can be purchased from dealer as well.

2016 models also had small seat rail drains that could potentially clog and drain water into the fuel tank or sub trans. Most members extend the drains to fix this. Honda had us drill the drains out bigger to fix this.

The rubber flap under the dash they added in 2017 or 2018 is the only thing I can think of that wasn't really announced as an "update". They also at some point added heat tape to the rear passenger floor above the exhaust without mentioning it, not sure what year that was. Some members have had issues with melting plastics, I suspect it's probably due to the rear cylinder possible misfiring and heating the header up more.

Any dealer worth their salt should be able to have all the recalls done while you wait. Honestly they can all be done in under a hour.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Something to think about also is for the first couple years people were having problems burning up their clutches. So I think somewhere around the 2018 model year they upgraded the sump to hold more oil and enlarged the oil passage holes to pump more oil onto the clutches to help keep them cooler. I think this happened part way through 2018. So if Im right models made in later 2018 and newer will already have this upgrade. Maybe someone else can chime in about this.

H

HondaTech

Forgot to mention, I dont own a SXS, but I do work on them for a living. Some of the more experienced members may have more to look out for.

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks HondaTech that was a lot of great info!

Is there a difference between say a 2017 that has had all the updates done to it by the dealer VS a 2020 that came from the factory with those issues already addressed at the factory?

J

Jason312

Jan 24, 2021
Richmond, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hear ya bigshoe. It's definitely a concern.
Some folks treat their own machines pretty rough also. Ya just never know when buying a used machine.
Keeping up on the maintenance goes a long way.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!