Anyone have a HDT for RV Tow vehicle

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Planning on retiring in the not to distant future and looking to buy a higher end RV possibly like a DRV, New Horizons or similar. Thinking about a used low mile class 7 or 8 truck instead of the 2024 F450 that I have on order. Not sure when or if I will see the F450. Can get a good low mile HDT for half of what a new Light duty truck costs.

Looked at MDT’s such as the Freightliner M2 Sportchassis, but they are way expensive compared to the F450 and the HDT.

Looking for thoughts and discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It was over 20 years ago but I hotshotted for 3 years. I traded my 97 Ram 3500 diesel in on a 2000 4700 4 door International cab and chassis. The Ram was tagged for 36,000 lbs gvw and I tagged the International for 42,000 lbs gvw. The International had a DT466 and a seven speed standard with air brakes. It was weaker than the hopped up 12v Cummins that was in the Ram but with 22.5 inch tires and air brakes on the International I never needed tires or brakes in the over 200,000 miles I put on it. I put a fifth wheel on it and an Aluminum headache rack so I could store my chains and binders securely. When I was loaded I grossed around 38,000 to 42.000 lbs. and the International seemed a little more stabil but the fuel mileage was about 2 mpg less.

Last edited:
E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been looking at that. I've seen used F450s with a flatbed running about the same as what a nice looking F250 does.... if you're pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck, the flatbed is more convenient and a lot less prone to "oh, s*** I forgot to check the jaws" drops. I lost a nice tailgate to one of those...

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which would your wife rather park at the local McDonalds, Walmart, grocery store…

This is why you don’t see many mdt plus trucks pulling campers.

I’d rather drive a motor home and pull a toad long before a mdt. At least this way you’re not getting crappy mileage all the time, and a motorhome is a heck of a lot faster and easier to setup than a fifth wheel.

My .02

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We have put over 30k miles on this in the last 2 years. I absolutely love driving this machine! We have had a pop-up,5th wheel, class'C'E450 chassis and then this. By far the BEST combination yet for us.

#20k towing capacity
8.5 mpg towing toad, 7.6 towing #12k box trailer
Air ride seats and rear suspension

20230715 153759 20230526 103908

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
When I was an RV transporter in the mid-2000s I spent three years on the highways all over the US and CN and in a lot of truck stops. As a lifetime RVer I like trucks and always pay attention to them so I've seen many of them towing large 5th wheel trailers.

One of the three companies I worked for was owned by an old retired trucker who owned an older Freightliner MDT with a plush sleeper cab and also a retired Class 7 tractor that had been owned by a trucking company that pulled doble trailers. I delivered an trailer somewhere in California for him using his Freightliner and drove his Class 7 tractor once when we went to lunch. i had never driven an OTR tractor and was unfamiliar with shifting a non-synchro 10 speed. He was an axxhole and enjoyed watching me struggle to match engine rpm and road speed to change gears. I wasn't very good at it.

I was surprised to learn the hitch plate and jaws on a Class 7 or Class 8 tractor fit the kingpin of an ordinary 5th wheel RV and is approximately the correct height. A retired HD tractor needs only an RV 7 pin receptacle to connect to and tow a 5th wheel . . . but a Class 8 tractor is a lot of truck to drive around when not towing. A Class 7 single-rear axle would be a better choice. The frame rails behind the cab and the driveshaft could be cut to shorten by a truck outfitter at a modest cost to make it more practical. The major drawback would be cost of operation and maintenance. Big trucking companies that own fleets of trucks put hundreds of thousands of miles on their tractors before they recycle them. Repairs could break you.

I like the newer MDTs. When we moved from west Texas to WV in 2018 we moved ourselves by hiring laborers on both ends to load and unload and I rented and drove three separate Penske 26' rental box trucks. I drove both Freightliners and Navistar trucks but all three had a Cummins 6.7 liter turbodiesel engine. I think the transmissions were Aisin 6 speed automatics because shifting and gear ranges were identical to my 2008 Ram C&C 3500.

The trucks accelerated strong, even fully loaded, were reasonably economical, and a pleasure to drive. They were equipped with easy power steering, very strong anti-lock air brakes, HVAC, and a basic Am/FM radio. I think they also had air ride suspension (not sure now) but not air ride seats. Also, excellent large rear-view mirrors and basic manual roll-up side windows. The trucks are Class 6 with 26,000 lb. GVWRs so renters didn't need a CDL but the same truck could have a 33,000 lb. GVWR if commercial. All three Penske rentals had low (under 100k) miles on them. I don't know how many miles Penske puts on their rentals before they recycle them but Penske dealers could probably tell you.

If I were planning to embark on a new RV retirement lifestyle with a big 5th wheel trailer I would search for a used but well-maintained Penske box truck. A Garmin GPS and an upgraded sound system could make it more comfortable. Anyone can drive one - wives included. Even with high miles one of those trucks would give you years of good service. Even factoring some repairs, replacements, and maintenance into the cost a recycled box truck could give you years of service cheaper than a new Class 4 Ford (grimace). Again, I would have a truck outfitter cut the frame rails and driveshaft to shorten the extremely long wheelbase.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@LarryAmboy It's absolutely none of my business but I feel obligated to comment on your plan to buy a big 5th wheel and a MDT or HDT to tow it. Just ignore my comment if you choose.

I hope you are not planning to sell your home and become a full-time RVer. I've been an RVer since the late 1960s and seen a few people do that. I've known several who lived to regret it.

One absolute certainty of life is if we live long enough we get old. The only way to avoid getting old is to die young! And although not a certainty, most of us develop some health problems as we age - or our spouse does. Many of us end up with osteoarthritis (worn and inflamed joints) which makes climbing steps difficult and painful or even require a "walker" or wheelchair to get around. Many old folks require surgeries for various reasons and may have long recovery requirements. RVs are not compatible with old age.

I'm 811 and still feel good, exercise six days every week but I have macular degeneration which is robbing my sight. I don't see well enough to drive in traffic now and my knees are worn from too many years on steel decks and ladders in ships and submarines. I can climb steps occasionally but not numerous times daily. My wife is 71 and has been a hard worker all her life but suddenly arthritis pain is making daily life difficult. I'm thankful we're not stuck in the big Travel Supreme 5er we once owned.

What I'm saying is old age and full-time RV living are not compatible. If someone sells his home to become an RVer, the big purchase price of an RV depreciates rapidly to only a few thousand dollars while inflation drives the cost of homes up every year. What usually happens is the happy new retiree RVers travel enthusiastically for a few years and then either become tired of the lifestyle or one or both of them develops health issues and they're stuck in an RV. They often end up giving the pricey RV away for dimes on the dollar and moving into a noisy and overpriced apartment with Gen Z neighbors with loud, obnoxious "music" for their remaining years. Not a pleasant lifestyle to look forward to.

Please don't make that mistake. Hang on to your home with no mortgage if you become an RVer.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have put over 30k miles on this in the last 2 years. I absolutely love driving this machine! We have had a pop-up,5th wheel, class'C'E450 chassis and then this. By far the BEST combination yet for us.

#20k towing capacity
8.5 mpg towing toad, 7.6 towing #12k box trailer
Air ride seats and rear suspension

View attachment 412870 View attachment 412871

Nice setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@LarryAmboy It's absolutely none of my business but I feel obligated to comment on your plan to buy a big 5th wheel and a MDT or HDT to tow it. Just ignore my comment if you choose.

I hope you are not planning to sell your home and become a full-time RVer. I've been an RVer since the late 1960s and seen a few people do that. I've known several who lived to regret it.

One absolute certainty of life is if we live long enough we get old. The only way to avoid getting old is to die young! And although not a certainty, most of us develop some health problems as we age - or our spouse does. Many of us end up with osteoarthritis (worn and inflamed joints) which makes climbing steps difficult and painful or even require a "walker" or wheelchair to get around. Many old folks require surgeries for various reasons and may have long recovery requirements. RVs are not compatible with old age.

I'm 811 and still feel good, exercise six days every week but I have macular degeneration which is robbing my sight. I don't see well enough to drive in traffic now and my knees are worn from too many years on steel decks and ladders in ships and submarines. I can climb steps occasionally but not numerous times daily. My wife is 71 and has been a hard worker all her life but suddenly arthritis pain is making daily life difficult. I'm thankful we're not stuck in the big Travel Supreme 5er we once owned.

What I'm saying is old age and full-time RV living are not compatible. If someone sells his home to become an RVer, the big purchase price of an RV depreciates rapidly to only a few thousand dollars while inflation drives the cost of homes up every year. What usually happens is the happy new retiree RVers travel enthusiastically for a few years and then either become tired of the lifestyle or one or both of them develops health issues and they're stuck in an RV. They often end up giving the pricey RV away for dimes on the dollar and moving into a noisy and overpriced apartment with Gen Z neighbors with loud, obnoxious "music" for their remaining years. Not a pleasant lifestyle to look forward to.

Please don't make that mistake. Hang on to your home with no mortgage if you become an RVer.

That’s our plan, although we are going to downsize the house and property and get into a single level with a basement. Thanks for your advice. The wife and I are a bit younger than you and yours.

We have had many different RV’s over the past 40 years and we are hoping for 10-15+ years of snow birding before we would need to give the RV lifestyle up. Never know we could get tired of it sooner and decide on a place in FL, GA or SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!