HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A good story. I have great respect for someone who would do that on a 250cc three-wheeler across Canada in the winter but it's about 6,000 kilometers, not miles. Chilliwack, BC to Halifax, NS is about 3600 miles by highways.

I made that ride but not on a three-wheeler. I rodeo a big powerful and comfortable Goldwing with XM radio, GPS navigation, and cruise control in summer of 2013 but I stayed in motels every night.

It was the trip of a lifetime for me.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes but in truth I only did one documented basic Saddle Sore 1000 to qualify. I was age 73 when I did it and my vision was already developing blank spots due to macular degeneration.

Are you one of the serious IBA compeittors?

I went to Albuquerque in 2015 to hang around and rub elbows with some of the serious IBA riders as they prepared and began the 2015 rally.

Iron Butt Certificate  1 002

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a Saddle Sore and a Bun Burner.

I got rained on for the last 400 miles of my first one (Saddle Sore 1000), quickly found out the zipper in my LL Bean GoreTex pants was not waterproof. Needless to say that was a miserable experience.

The Bun Burner 1500 (36 hrs) nearly killed me. I started in Maine, rode around Lake Ontario and returned. Somewhere south of Watertown, NY at around 2am I was fighting the nods, and snapped my eyes open to find I had changed lanes. The adrenalin from that got me to the next rest area and I pulled in for a nap.
There was a concrete picnic table I laid down on, and every time I started to fall asleep a cool breeze off the lake blew across my face and woke me up. I went back to the bike and got a helmet bag, laid back down and put the bag over my face.
I’m not sure how long I slept, maybe a couple of hours, but I woke up and in a mini panic ripped the bag off, then remembered what was happening. Turned my head to the left and about 25 feet away some guy was standing there looking at me. I said,”How’s it going” as I walked past him, got on the bike and continued down the road. After hanging out here with you guys, I realize I should have said, “NoHomo, right?”
Sometimes I wonder what he thought about a body laying there with the head in a bag.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Fear of experiences like yours - falling asleep in the saddle - were the reason I didn't try to do longer rides or more Saddle Sore rides. Iron Butt rides are for young men. I felt braindead when I got back to my motel that night after the 1000.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can relate. I was in my late 40s when I did those rides, and they kicked my ass. I’ll be 63 next week and wouldn’t even consider doing another endurance ride. I’m in bed by 9:00 these days, anything later and I’m grumpy (er).

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
A good story. I have great respect for someone who would do that on a 250cc three-wheeler across Canada in the winter but it's about 6,000 kilometers, not miles. Chilliwack, BC to Halifax, NS is about 3600 miles by highways.

I made that ride but not on a three-wheeler. I rodeo a big powerful and comfortable Goldwing with XM radio, GPS navigation, and cruise control in summer of 2013 but I stayed in motels every night.

It was the trip of a lifetime for me.
You should read the article before inserting Cliff Clavin factoids

Webb made a call to Guinness to notify them of his attempt, stuck a sign on the back to avoid heat from cops, and has already covered more than 2,000 kilometers. He expects to eventually eclipse 10,000 kilometers total, or roughly 6,200 miles. That's more than most of us would dare to drive in an old car, let alone a 200cc trike that's restricted to ditches and dirt roads.

"I'm not trying to do the fastest route from here to there; I'm trying to get the most kilometers. I'm zig-zagging up and down, through backroads. Honestly, how I've taken my route is looking at the map and picking a funny name or a name I can't pronounce, then finding the local watering holes, restaurants, and cheap hotels. No bed bugs yet," Webb joked.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
From "Urban Dictionary"

jackal

An unathletic, freeloading valueless student at the University of Chicago, distinguished by their pretentiousness, self-entitlement, and general air of douchebaggery.

A slightly migratory species, jackals inhabit the library during finals week, the dining hall during feeding times, and hibernate in their dorms in between. Unlike their territorial namesake, jackals are completely oblivious of others. They create large messes and romp about at all hours of the night, showing utter disregard towards athletes and people with worthwhile goals.
"I f***ing hate the Reg during finals week, it's completely overrun by jackals"

Student 1: "I don't have time to wait in line behind all these lazy hipster non-athlete dbags in bartlett"

Student 2: "Yeah, f***ing jackals"

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!