ATV rider shot, killed after 2 people run over in NC town; man charged with murder

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
It may not matter what happened. It has a lot to do with what he told the police.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The movies, grand pappy and the internet are full of bad examples of how to deal with situations.

Best thing I ever did was get some training from a lawyer who is an expert on gun law.
By the end of it, I will only shoot if you have no choice to save someone or myself from violent crimes or imminent death.
If you do shoot, you don't talk to anyone until you have talked to your lawyer.
It's all good in the movies but the darn judge isn't going to follow the script from the Equalizer.

Anything less and you are probably going deep in debt and may lose your job /career- if you are lucky!
I always thought you got the bail money back if you appeared in court- not so, kiss that good bye too!

"IF" he shot them because they had just run over family, he isn't defending them. They were already dead and that is revenge and not covered by any law.

All depends on how he said it if he said it at all.
There are variables with that bond issue. If you have a $1000 bond for reckless op and hire a bondsman to put up 10% as a Surety bond ....... NO, you don't get that back. If YOU put up the $1000 bond, you may forfeit it or part of it for you fine if found guilty. If found innocent, you are due all of it back.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you carry alot US Law Shield may be worth it. A cop came and gave a presentation on it in my CCL class. I dont carry much so I dont have it. His story involved a colleague that used it. On duty at 1 am on a saturday morning sent to a domestic. Guy comes out with a cheap AK and starts firing as soon as they pull up. Cop grabs his patrol rifle and takes cover. Bad guy's gun jams and cop shoots the bad guy twice center mass killing him. Its going to get investigated and everyone knows that. Cops pulls out his FOP card and calls that lawyer. Lawyer tells him it sounds like a good shoot see you monday. Next he pulls out his US law shield card and calls them. Gets sent right to a high powered lawyer in the KC metro. Lawyers tells the cop to give no statements and he will be there within the hour. Of course everything got cleared, but he had council present.

Also never talk to the police without an attorney. Also of you are on the phone with a dispatcher and think you may have to shoot an intruder in your home hang up. Anything you say on the line can and will be used against you.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I agree, there are not enough details to make any real conclusions. It was stated this happened around but 2am and seriously doubt this was a s’mores party gone wrong as well...

Reactions: BigOL3 and Mudwing
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The movies, grand pappy and the internet are full of bad examples of how to deal with situations.

Best thing I ever did was get some training from a lawyer who is an expert on gun law.
By the end of it, I will only shoot if you have no choice to save someone or myself from violent crimes or imminent death.
If you do shoot, you don't talk to anyone until you have talked to your lawyer.
It's all good in the movies but the darn judge isn't going to follow the script from the Equalizer.

Anything less and you are probably going deep in debt and may lose your job /career- if you are lucky!
I always thought you got the bail money back if you appeared in court- not so, kiss that good bye too!

"IF" he shot them because they had just run over family, he isn't defending them. They were already dead and that is revenge and not covered by any law.

All depends on how he said it if he said it at all.

Agree on most points

There is insurance available to cover these situations. Look at US Lawshield https://www.uslawshield.com

Also there is a difference between posting bail or getting a bail bond. Bail is refundable if the bail requirements are met (appearing for all court appearances). Bail bonds are not refundable.

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
ATV riders were murdered years ago near Prentice Cooper State Park, Chattanooga, TN. Murderer recently died in prison.

Reactions: Mudwing
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also never talk to the police without an attorney. Also of you are on the phone with a dispatcher and think you may have to shoot an intruder in your home hang up. Anything you say on the line can and will be used against you.
That can be a 2 way deal. It can hurt or it can help, depending on what is said and heard. If the 911 recording shows the perp is breaking in, and shouting threats, it is beneficial to the homeowner. Some states now have laws to justify lethal force on anyone entering your home against your will. So a recording of hearing you warn them to go away, would be beneficial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
J

JTW

Not gunna lie... many of these incidents depend on who you are and where your live. A bad shooting is just that... but it’s being able to articulate that you were in fear of your life or someone else’s that will make the difference. A dumbass is a dumbass when it comes to these things and some of them are just wrong. I understand the frustration of trespassers and maybe it was a legitimate shooting. But if you don’t have the wherewithal to identify and imminent threat vs a questionable situation, then you don’t need to be carrying a gun. If you don’t have the capacity to articulate what happened in a legitimate way, then you don’t need to speak... and you probably shouldn’t be carrying.

I’m all for the 2A and peoples right to protect themselves but there are a lot of dumbasses out there. Don’t ever underestimate the stupidity of your fellow man! Some people just aren’t built for conflict and even fewer the act of justifiably taking a life. It’s more than just pulling the trigger.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!