P1000 Audio experts - thoughts on this issue? Audioformz subwoofer

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a used P1K5. It was in good overall condition and had a Level 4 Audioformz roof that has a Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 head unit, 4 speakers, 2 amps and a 12" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer.

I am not an audio guy, but know just enough to be dangerous. Anyway, the sub was obviously not working in the sense that no sound was being passed to it (as in zero - no cracking, no static, no movement - as if it were disconnected), but everything else appeared to work fine - both amps, all 4 speakers, head unit. I checked the HU settings and it had the subwoofer connected to it properly, the volume on the sub was set properly in the HU. One amp powers all 4 regular speakers and the other amp seems to be dedicated to the sub. I pulled the head unit, both amps and sub to check a few things (man, that sub is HEAVY!). The ohm reading on the sub was fine at about 3.8 from my multimeter test. It appears to be connected properly as it's a dual coil, so it had one wire connecting two posts on itself (one + and one -) and the other + and - going to the amp. I tested the continuity of the speaker wire from the amp to the sub and it was also fine (and a good quality Rockford Fosgate one). The amp gets power to it and I can see the proper lights on it as well as the voltage input numbers on it (which are just under 13v, so it's right where it should be). The sub's cable connects to the right channel + and the left channel -, which from my research, means that this is in bridged mode, which is what is desirable for a single sub:

Bridged wiring

The subwoofer is a Rockford Fosgate R2SD4 Dual 4 ohm with 250w RMS, 500w peak.

20210813 182043

What I did find concerning - or at least hokey - is that whomever did the install used blade connectors to put fuses inline and then used electrical tape to secure them rather than use a replaceable inline fuse. While it seems to work since all the speakers work fine - just seemed like an odd way to save $20. For this problem, I don't think any of that matters, but I may try to clean it up later.

20210813 181923

There doesn't seem to be any fuses for the subwoofer connections, other than what may be internal to the amp. Here's the amp that powers (or is supposed to) the sub:

20210813 181827

Any thoughts on how I can test this? I did try connecting an old speaker to the same cables from the sub, but it didn't work either. I've reached out to Audioformz and they are helpful, but after doing some email troubleshooting, they are suggesting that I need to purchase a new amp.

Before I drop $250 on something that may or may not work, I figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else had any ideas for things to try or look at - or something I may have just missed.

20210816 171524

Reactions: Lady01
C

colin215213

Your better off rewiring and changing to proper connections, and then test. Can you adjust the gain/boost on amp? I find it hard to believe there is room for all that... Good Luck!

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, there's a TON of room in the roof - all the wiring and cable fits in there easily with a lot of room to spare.

Apparently, the method of adding the in-line fuse is not as jury-rigged as I assumed.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you try running the sub to the other amp (the one you know is working?)

C

colin215213

Your right, it's "rigged", tap into wire if you want proper connection.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking just a few simple test wires directly to the sub, but I can't see your layout there

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd have to disconnect the 4 speakers (and they don't use any quick connectors, so I'd have to cut the wires and then re-splice them later, and then re-wire the RCA's from the HU. It may come to that vs just buying another amp...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Probably smoked the amp. Depends on the ohm rating of the sub, it should be labeled. Based on what you posted, with a dual voice coil and wired the way you say it is, it might be putting the amp under a 2 ohm load already. Then you're saying that the amp was bridged by only running 2 wires to it, that puts the amp under a 1 ohm load. Most aren't 1 ohm stable.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This ☝️ ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️Language is the answer to your problems!

Reactions: Lady01 and trigger
jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probably smoked the amp. Depends on the ohm rating of the sub, it should be labeled. Based on what you posted, with a dual voice coil and wired the way you say it is, it might be putting the amp under a 2 ohm load already. Then you're saying that the amp was bridged by only running 2 wires to it, that puts the amp under a 1 ohm load. Most aren't 1 ohm stable.
AMP spec's are:

AF300.2FM

• 150 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms RMS output
  • 230 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms RMS output
  • 460 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged RMS output
  • Frequency Response: 20-20Khz
  • Signal to Noise Ratio: >95db
  • Selectable X-over: HP/Flat/LP
  • Variable LPH/HPF Filter: 40hz-400hz
  • Variable Low Level Input Sensitivity: 0.2-5V

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Audioformz built the whole system, it's unlikely they put something in that doesn't pair up.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
False, it's a little more complicated than that. You can pair up components that if wired wrong will cook the amp and they obviously didn't wire it. Wiring too many speakers in parallel puts the amp under a load it's not designed for. I would contact audioformz and ask if wiring those dual voice coils together puts the amp under a 2 ohm load. If that's the case and then it was bridged...there's your problem.

Homer

Homer

Happy Birthday MoPower!
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sub can be wired at 2, 4, or 8 ohms. If they had it wired at 2 ohms AND bridged the amp the amp is probably toast. As suggested, test sub with another amp or source of any kind.

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
I'm sure you probably looked at the sub page for wiring - Prime 10" R2 4-Ohm DVC Shallow Subwoofer | Rockford Fosgate
Was it wired for the 4 ohm config? Because it looks like the amp supports that in bridged mode.

I looked up your head unit:
RCA OUTPUTS
(1 pr) Front
(1 pr) Rear (or Sub-out)

I would try swapping inputs between the amps and see if you get any sounds out of your sub speaker at all. No sound at all to your sub speaker would then be one of the following: Bad/incorrect setting of head unit output or bad amplifier. There is a small chance if they have the amplifier set at LP or low pass your internal crossover is bad but it's integrated into the amplifier; you would have to determine that to see what other options you have to work around it.

If it was me on either setting (rear or sub-out) from the head unit, I would have bridged the sub across the amp in 4 ohm mode and set the LP or low pass setting on the amp, that way only the lower frequencies are sent to the speaker to play as it's a bass type speaker. Then adjusted the input sensitivity until the sub sound level matched my other speakers at the correct volume level.

C

Coderedsb

Feb 21, 2022
Fort worth
Were you able to figure this issue out? I just spent $345 on an amp from audioformz thinking it was my issue. Still nothing out of subs. I did switch RCA outputs and test other speakers on same circuit, still nothing.

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah. They let me buy a used amp (since they don't make the matching model) for a reduced price, but is tested and known good. I got it, put it in and it worked. So likely something in the amp had broken since it looked like it worked - powered on and all.

But appears to just have been the amp.

They do have very good support. They were walking me through a lot of testing on the phone and it was even well after working hours.

C

Coderedsb

Feb 21, 2022
Fort worth
So I did test my old amp. Bad for sure. But on the new amp I didn't realize there was a clear plate to remove on the face with adjustment dials. Sounds amazing. Maybe this will help the next person and save a couple hours checking connections.

M

Michiganboy

Aug 17, 2021
Grand Rapids
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Were you able to figure this issue out? I just spent $345 on an amp from audioformz thinking it was my issue. Still nothing out of subs. I did switch RCA outputs and test other speakers on same circuit, still nothing.
Could it be turned off in the head unit?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!