Aviation headset and intercom

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just received my two aviation headsets and intercom today.

My wife and I took a drive out in the country to test the headsets, noise level and talk volume. The noise reduction and ease of hearing each other made the drive much more pleasant in our 700-4.

The headsets are not bluetooth and have two cords, one for the mic and one for the headphone. There are two sets of wires that come out from the intercom that I assume are only used in airplanes. I probably will cut those off.

You can purchase an expansion model ($55) that will allow two more people to join in the conversation.

Supposedly you can hook in your phone and play music but haven't got that far yet. I am still thinking about how to mount the intercom. Right now I have it stuffed in the cubby hole by the passenger. It actually fits snug.

I'm going to test if I can receive and talk through my cell phone. If I can I assume you could use that function with other drivers on the trail.

Headset A Headset B

W

Wandering1

Jul 29, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
@tradosaurus After a few months use, are you still happy with your setup? How do you power it? Through the cig lighter accessory? How do you think it would hold up on a pretty dusty ride? (We go riding in the Arizona desert and its very dusty, but can't HEAR each other on the 700-4). thought I'd ask before springing $320 on that setup and then having trail dust ruin sensitive electronics. :eek:

Reactions: CID
W

Wandering1

Jul 29, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Also, have you changed where you have this mounted to some sort of more permanent / clean looking setup?

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got several sets of aviation headsets..... This sounds interesting! is this "Push to Talk" or voice activated ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
@tradosaurus After a few months use, are you still happy with your setup? How do you power it? Through the cig lighter accessory? How do you think it would hold up on a pretty dusty ride? (We go riding in the Arizona desert and its very dusty, but can't HEAR each other on the 700-4). thought I'd ask before springing $320 on that setup and then having trail dust ruin sensitive electronics. :eek:
The intercom is battery powered. Still happy. Can't speak about the dust as we ride on county roads. Have not changed the mounting although I am open for better mounting options.

Reactions: Wandering1
tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did test playing music from my phone through the intercom and it works great. So if my wife and I aren't talking we have music piped into the headphones.

I'm using the Ram mount for my phone which has kept the phone secured.

Reactions: Montecresto
Cessna 150-150

Cessna 150-150

May 15, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Head sets and intercoms are marvelous......especially in airplanes. 👨‍✈️

Your idea of using them in a SXS environment is intriguing.

IMG 1543

Reactions: PJ1 and TripleB
W

Wandering1

Jul 29, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
The intercom is battery powered. Still happy. Can't speak about the dust as we ride on county roads. Have not changed the mounting although I am open for better mounting options.
Does it only offer the option to battery mount?
Head sets and intercoms are marvelous......especially in airplanes. 👨‍✈️

Your idea of using them in a SXS environment is intriguing.

View attachment 304345
My biggest concern is the amount of dust where we ride the SxS and the electronics of the headsets and intercom not being designed for that.

Reactions: tradosaurus
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Now you just need to adapt them to work in y'alls helmets. You do weart a helmet when playing hard right?

WB

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Now you just need to adapt them to work in y'alls helmets. You do weart a helmet when playing hard right?

WB
Nope. It's a risk but we are either driving less than 15 mph on our property or driving the side country roads where the speed limit is 30 mph.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!