BOX1

back from the dead.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
well as alot know i put the utv solution 4 inch portals on 2 yrs ago. had a blastwent to ride royal blue. been in 7 ft of water. loved the reduction. then portal locked up on a trail. tore it down on trail got it free wheeling. ordered parts and started looking at the other portals. these things arent built good enough for anything but a mall parking lot. so i took them off went back stock on 5 inches of lift. gave the goat. now named paige to my daughter. went out and got a cf moto 2 up 800 four wheeler and im noticing alot of honda characteristics. but any how. if your doing portals go to gdp through satv. wish they were out when i ordered mine but they werent . so im out of that money. but i had a blast. and going a different route hopefully this yr for my daughter.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
well as alot know i put the utv solution 4 inch portals on 2 yrs ago. had a blastwent to ride royal blue. been in 7 ft of water. loved the reduction. then portal locked up on a trail. tore it down on trail got it free wheeling. ordered parts and started looking at the other portals. these things arent built good enough for anything but a mall parking lot. so i took them off went back stock on 5 inches of lift. gave the goat. now named paige to my daughter. went out and got a cf moto 2 up 800 four wheeler and im noticing alot of honda characteristics. but any how. if your doing portals go to gdp through satv. wish they were out when i ordered mine but they werent . so im out of that money. but i had a blast. and going a different route hopefully this yr for my daughter.

Man thats a lot going on right there. Keep us updated brother

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Your statement has been experienced by many people who bring their portal equipped SXS to East TN. As you indicated they just aren't robust enough for the stresses incurred in this terrain.

I'm sure they do fine on level ground at 5mph blasting hick hop from the speakers.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Your statement has been experienced by many people who bring their portal equipped SXS to East TN. As you indicated they just aren't robust enough for the stresses incurred in this terrain.

I'm sure they do fine on level ground at 5mph blasting hick hop from the speakers.
actually the only problem i had in Tennessee was a backing plate failure which was just a poor design it actually messed up on a flattish trail. . the portal actually locked up on me on level ground doing 3mph in a 3 inch deep creekbed down here at home. lol. if i had gdp portals i know they wouldnt have given me any trouble my buddy has a gen 1 set on his 800 ranger and he does everything i do never had an issue. now if i had more hp in tennesee. probably would of had problems but for the 700. ut was at home up there minus my tires. if id had some 30 x10 big horns or mtcs it would of been a better ride.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Pretty sure that there is a dual ball bearing version now that should be much more durable. I know not all "portals" are the same but the lesser expensive ones have ended people's weekends quickly. Most of what I have seen fail was between 2016-2019. Haven't heard any horror stories in past 18 months. So hopefully these 3rd 4th generation models are much improved.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pretty sure that there is a dual ball bearing version now that should be much more durable. I know not all "portals" are the same but the lesser expensive ones have ended people's weekends quickly. Most of what I have seen fail was between 2016-2019. Haven't heard any horror stories in past 18 months. So hopefully these 3rd 4th generation models are much improved.
that and alot of machin changes in gear reductions and tire size. back 5 yrs ago pretty much needed portals to ride 35s. now some can run 40s with just a lift. lol.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Alan_Vander let me know when you want to get back on some GDP portals buddy. I know a guy... ;)
im going a different route first. my 13 yr old owns the machine now so just keeping her closer to the ground. i actually have a buddy about to get a set of 4s for his maverick soon from yall

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
went out and got a cf moto 2 up 800 four wheeler

Curious how those things hold up? My son wanted to buy one and I talked him out of it. My only experience with them is the young couple we found stranded at the TO in a brand new CF Moto sxs. Jackal towed them to the church with a P5.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Curious how those things hold up? My son wanted to buy one and I talked him out of it. My only experience with them is the young couple we found stranded at the TO in a brand new CF Moto sxs. Jackal towed them to the church with a P5.
no issues so far got it back in feb put 300 miles on it on a set of 30 x10 moto mtcs. belts never even slipped. did a recall on the steering. had a guy had a 2020 that had 7k miles. hes on his second belt and changed the primary clutch. . they have had some that had evap issues . the vent for the canister is in a bad spot( above therear tire) so if it gets clogged it acts like its out of fuel. i vented mine and went throughthe whole machine brand new. itsa lnock off can am and honda mix breed. the 800xc hasthe 1000 drivetrain. but 20 less hp. for 8700 out the door. 214 a month. i cant complain. although ittook me some getting used to not being able to pull people out like i did on mygoat with the 5k and 1000cca marine battery

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!