Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you live in a cold climate you should buy slightly larger batteries. Some manufactures provide higher capacity batteries for customers that are in cold climates.

I have not tried this but I have read that if your battery will not start the car in subfreezing temperatures, you can run the light or the wind shield wipers for a few minutes and that will actually warm the battery up and and help start it.

That doesn't sound like a stretch to me. I know as a battery is being charged at a high rate or being discharged at a high rate, they do get pretty hot.
I've never heard of the windshield wiper trick, but I've been in -50 degree temps near the Canadian border with a battery which would not turn the engine. If it works i will report back late January early February. Unless I wise up and move! Lol

Reactions: joeymt33
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Still waiting for someone with
a pocket charger...to freeze
it...& see how it works...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you live in a cold climate you should buy slightly larger batteries. Some manufactures provide higher capacity batteries for customers that are in cold climates.

I have not tried this but I have read that if your battery will not start the car in subfreezing temperatures, you can run the light or the wind shield wipers for a few minutes and that will actually warm the battery up and and help start it.

That doesn't sound like a stretch to me. I know as a battery is being charged at a high rate or being discharged at a high rate, they do get pretty hot.
The optimum temperature for a (lead acid) battery is 72 degrees. Batteries performance is diminished as the temperature goes above or below that increasingly. Lithium batteries like I use in my power tools seem not to be affected by temperature. The iPhone size 400 amp jumper that I have hasn't shown trouble with temperature variations, not sure what it is though.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I
These things are almost unbelievable. Have you tried it? I've seen the YouTube vids and I'm amazed.
ive got one of those and been very happy. It goes in the tool box for camping Side note do not try to start a diesel it'll fry the jumpers I've found out

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
@rocmar definitely a cool product, but not really comparable to a dual battery setup. I own the Stanley by the way and it has worked well for years including cold weather starts. Air compressor will get you on your way. Cons-heavy, bulky.
I think you mistaken
mine is the 700
actually smaller than
a coffee maker

20160720 112407

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I picked up this one by Stanley at SAMs club for $40. Haven't used it yet but claims to start a v8 engine, although I doubt it would turn my Powerstroke! Sunglasses are in the picture for size reference.
View attachment 19102
These are great for carrying on the Honda sxs's.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

Think the above is for lithium ion batteries down to about -17 degrees centigrade. Below that as far as I know they don't work at least one manufacturer noted that. I took the lithium ion battery back and credited it for a sealed lead acid as a second (battery) on my P5. Was kinda bummin as it had very powerful specs and it was teeny. Lead acid battery here in Canada, pulling lights on will only draw it down faster....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Think the above is for lithium ion batteries down to about -17 degrees centigrade. Below that as far as I know they don't work at least one manufacturer noted that. I took the lithium ion battery back and credited it for a sealed lead acid as a second (battery) on my P5. Was kinda bummin as it had very powerful specs and it was teeny. Lead acid battery here in Canada, pulling lights on will only draw it down faster....

I run the lithium iron rather then ion batteries in many of our vehicles but they absolutely hate being left in the cold for periods of time. If you start or use something a couple times a week it's fine however if left for more then a couple weeks they are junk. I found that out one year I replaced 7 lead batteries for them. That was a sad day. But they are 1/5 weight twice the power and drastically smaller. Perfect for a dirtbike or someone that doesn't ride winters. Lithium ion can be like that as well if left for too long.
Watch the little battery jump packs as they contain one of the two.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: JCart
advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I picked up this one by Stanley at SAMs club for $40. Haven't used it yet but claims to start a v8 engine, although I doubt it would turn my Powerstroke! Sunglasses are in the picture for size reference.
View attachment 19102
Yeah....
mines a 6 in 1
$50
Those small ones will freeze
don't leave it...in the cold.
...alot of guys showed there's awhile
back...saying they were good. I ask them to put
in freezer..then see.
Got no response...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I run the lithium iron rather then ion batteries in many of our vehicles but they absolutely hate being left in the cold for periods of time. If you start or use something a couple times a week it's fine however if left for more then a couple weeks they are junk. I found that out one year I replaced 7 lead batteries for them. That was a sad day. But they are 1/5 weight twice the power and drastically smaller. Perfect for a dirtbike or someone that doesn't ride winters. Lithium ion can be like that as well if left for too long.
Watch the little battery jump packs as they contain one of the two.

Sent from iPhone

No so...
one good freeze...will
split them..wide open
...seen it...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
No so...
one good freeze...will
split them..wide open
...seen it...
Mine spent all of last winter (northwest PA) in my car. My car was always outside - not in a garage. My jump box did not split wide open, and it still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Mine spent all of last winter (northwest PA) in my car. My car was always outside - not in a garage. My jump box did not split wide open, and it still works.

Something kept it warm
small batteries don't handle
the cold...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

If It would of froze...
it would have split..
in utah...my Bros split
in his glovebox.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No so...
one good freeze...will
split them..wide open
...seen it...
I agree with you but that happens when the voltage depletes and it freezes. As long as they are kept up they do ok. If not...I personally wouldn't run them in the winter. Take inside. It's fine for the bikes or something you don't plan on winter riding. They don't hold a charge as well in the winter as a lead battery. Period. Ride a couple times a week or trickle charge is ok. Most jump boxes use lead not lithium. The small ones all use lithium and shouldn't be left outside in the cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with you but that happens when the voltage depletes and it freezes. As long as they are kept up they do ok. If not...I personally wouldn't run them in the winter. Take inside. It's fine for the bikes or something you don't plan on winter riding. They don't hold a charge as well in the winter as a lead battery. Period. Ride a couple times a week or trickle charge is ok. Most jump boxes use lead not lithium. The small ones all use lithium and shouldn't be left outside in the cold.

He never used it...
was in glovebox
I seen it....
so apparently it got colder there
...then where you are
.....my guess

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My quad battery froze....
when I left it out....
small batteries not
effective if left in cold
....I believe they have
something that says
.....just that with product

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
He never used it...
was in glovebox
I seen it....
so apparently it got colder there
...then where you are
.....my guess
If it's never used then it's not kept up so yes that can happen and smaller batteries do take more of a hit. Lead is the best though at cold. I've got three semi 8d's in our bus, that's the biggest battery you can buy within reason and two are even deep cycles if they are not kept up they lose a lot of their usefulness over the winter if not kept up,two winters they will be dead and leaking. We added solar years back to eliminate the generator and that took care of that as long as snow doesn't sit too long this but can happen on any size. On our dirt-bikes with e-start we gave up and just replace them every spring with 15$ eBay gels and call it what it is. It was too hard to trickle charge all the time.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If it's never used then it's not kept up so yes that can happen and smaller batteries do take more of a hit. Lead is the best though at cold. I've got three semi 8d's in our bus, that's the biggest battery you can buy within reason and two are even deep cycles if they are not kept up they lose a lot of their usefulness over the winter if not kept up,two winters they will be dead and leaking. We added solar years back to eliminate the generator and that took care of that as long as snow doesn't sit too long this but can happen on any size. On our dirt-bikes with e-start we gave up and just replace them every spring with 15$ eBay gels and call it what it is. It was too hard to trickle charge all the time.

Sent from iPhone

Pocket charger
...totally different
than wat I got...
I looked into alot
of alternatives...
Reading reviews...
price matching...
blah...blah
"Fat Max"
IMO
best buy

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!